Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Late Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late Period
Typical Chick
Neophyte
Member # 4226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. .. I'm on the pill. I just finished my first pack. My period was supposed to come yesterday, but it hasn't. And it has not come today. I had unprotected sex like once, but this was like 4 days ago, already on my placebo pills, and even my gyno said that by that point, they should be working.
I have been sorta stressed lately, and not sleeping/eating well at all. I know those things can mess up your cycle. And it's only like a day late... but I'm getting prertty paranoid anyway.

What do you think? Is it very likely that I could be pregnant or could it just be weird pill reaction or late due to stress/nutrition/sleep etc?

Thanks.

Posts: 7 | From: Los Estados Unidos | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty common for it to take a few cycles for your body to adjust to hormonal contraceptives.

What I would suggest is the following:
1) Do use condoms with the pill, as well as other safer sex tools and techniques as needed -- http://www.scarleteen.com/sexuality/safer.html. Not only is the pill not 100% effective, even once it's working, it offers NO protection against infection or disease. if I had a dollar for every woman I know on BC who got pregnant on it, and another for every woman I know who would up with an STD or STI from not using safer sex methods, with even long-term partners, I'd be a wealthy chickie, indeed.

2) In about two weeks, go ahead and take a pregnancy test, just to be sure.

3) If you skip this period, and your next one is late AND your test was negative, check in with your GYN to be sure the pill you're on is right for you.

In the interim, chill out a little. Stress and pregnancy worry can delay a period all by itself, as well as make you a bit batty. Even if you ARE pregnant (which, after a month on the pill, would be at most a moderate to low risk), worrying doesn't make it go away or help in any way.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.