Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Can I buy a breast binder?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I buy a breast binder?
sprittany
Neophyte
Member # 110847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sprittany     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda really want a breast binder but I'm not sure if I should buy one, since I know they're mostly for trans ftm, and I think lesbians as well, but I'm neither.

The reason why I want one is because I'm just not that comfortable with my breasts. I was born a girl and identified as one all my life until around a year ago. I'm not comfortable calling myself a "full" girl anymore. I'm still exploring my options, but I think I might be androgynous.

Anyway, I just think a breast binder would help me become a bit more comfortable with myself. But I just want to make sure if it's acceptable to buy before I do, because I don't want to offend anyone.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. >-< Also, sorry if this isn't the right category, I didn't really know which one to put it under...

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breast binders -- or breast binding -- are something that's just for whoever wants to use them, for whatever reason. They're not usually about someone's sexual orientation. They are often about someone's gender identity or gender presentation, and they are also often something people with breasts use for some sports or kinds of creative performance.

So, if you want one, you get to seek one out. It's not offensive for someone to use one for different reasons than someone else does, and just like say, pants, brassieres or lipstick aren't only for one given gender or gender identity, the same goes here. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trying to find an excellent article I saw recently on choosing a binder, but I didn't bookmark and now it's lost to the mists of internet. I did find a couple of other sources that might be useful to you though:
http://fuckyeahbinders.tumblr.com/post/18373414001/go-ask-alice-breast-binding-safety
http://transguys.com/features/chest-binding
Bear in mind that I can't fact-check them, I don't know if they're entirely accurate - but they might be good places to start in researching what to buy. [Smile]

Those resources are written with trans men in mind - but only because the majority of binder users are transmen. [Smile] It's not meant to be exclusionary at all!

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.