Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Name Change on Facebook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Name Change on Facebook
ck289
Neophyte
Member # 108365

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ck289     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just want to know of anyone's experience changing their name on Facebook.

I have been thinking about changing my name to something more gender neutral for a while. I have discussed it with my sister, my mum and one friend (who was kind of dismissive of the issue). I can't seem to be able to bring myself to tell people in person. I don't have many friends but the ones I do seem to brush over it or move on when I try and discuss my non-conformity to the gender binary.

I am much better at written communication over verbal and I thought that I'd be able to succinctly articulate myself on Facebook as to why I'm changing my name. I don't think anyone I know has any experience with another trans person so they don't get that this isn't related to my sexuality. But I was thinking about how nothing is official until it's Facebook official. So if I change it on Facebook maybe people will take it seriously.

So I don't want advice on what I should or shouldn't do rather I want to know other people's experience of changing their name on such a public arena.

Posts: 7 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ck289, just checking: are you interested in hearing about people's experiences with changing their name for any other reason, or only for gender- or gender transition- related reasons?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wildcat
Neophyte
Member # 104627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wildcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ck289,
I do not have any experiences with changing my name, but if you want to change what pronouns facebook uses when referring to you to "they", there is a really cool hack I found: http://m0tei.co.uk/facebookgender/. However, I did not write the hack, so I do not know how safe it is to use. I have used it, have had no problems with it, and it works [Smile]
None of my friends asked about it, but many of my friends are feminists, lesbians or otherwise trans-accepting, so I do not know if this helps.

Posts: 5 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ck289
Neophyte
Member # 108365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ck289     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose any experience. Mostly about 'friends' reactions. I don't have a whole lot of Facebook friends and I don't particularly care about losing some over the issue, but I just kind of want to go in with an idea of how people might react, online and in real life.
Posts: 7 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed my name long before I had facebook, but I've had some friends go through the process. In the instances I can think of, when they made the change they also posted something short that said something like "some of you know this already, but for the rest of you, I'm now going by [name]; please call me that from now on." One friend addressed pronoun changes and his gender identity in that post as well, others just left it with the name.

The reactions that I saw to these friends were pretty positive; some people had known already and anyone who was surprised didn't leave negative comments (at least that I saw). I don't think there's any way to know how any individual would respond to something like this, though, and if they'd take you more seriously for posting on Facebook vs. having personal conversations; that's the sort of thing that's really specific to individuals, I think.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ck289
Neophyte
Member # 108365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ck289     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your input Molias I really appreciate it.
Kaito
Neophyte
Member # 108858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaito     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came out last year as transgender, and needed to create a new Facebook due to maxing out my name changes on it. I made the new one with a gender neutral name (Kaito) and recently, I found the gender neutral hack, and I used it. So far, no problems. Most of my friends didn't care, a few asked me via pm, and only one didn't like the fact that I am trans. It went rather well for me.
Posts: 4 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeitvogel
Activist
Member # 109023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeitvogel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Facebook now gives many gender options and lets you configure which pronouns you want used (out of 'he', 'she', and 'they') [Smile] This changed only this week I think.
Posts: 47 | From: Finland | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.