Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Vagina Monologues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vagina Monologues
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy International Women's Day!
Today I watched a live performance of something called The Vagina Monologues. It was awesome. Has anyone heard of it? Tell me what you think about the monologues. It was empowering to watch.

Posts: 36 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not only heard of it, I have directed and performed in The Vagina Monologues many, many times! Did you have a favorite one?

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! [Smile]

I think my favourites today were "The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy" and "I Was There In The Room".

I like them all, really. I think "My Vagina Was My Village" was sad and eye opening. I liked "My Angry Vagina" and thought it was funny. "Because He Liked to Look at It" has really interesting.

Posts: 36 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a favourite one? Which ones have you performed?
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've performed every monologue except "The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could." I absolutely cannot stand that monologue.

My favorite to perform is "I Was In the Room" because I do slam poetry and I can kind of slam that one. That or "The Flood" because it's just fun.

ETA:
I will say that I have somewhat grown out of love with the play and there are some parts of it I vehemently disagree with. I don't think it's been done as well as it could have been, but I think it has brought a lot of stuff to light for a lot of people. The awareness it has raised is unprecedented and the money that various organizations have raised through performances has done a lot of good.

[ 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: CoatRack ]

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoatRack, I'm interested to hear what irks you so much about it. Would you be willing to tell me? I recently saw the production and absolutely loved it (my friend was in it...so proud of her!). But it was my first time seeing it, so I have no idea how it has evolved over the years.

Just curious, is all. If you don't feel comfortable that's absolutely fine!

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Little coochie snorcher was originally about a 13 year old girl, not a 16 year old girl and originally ended with the line "If it was a rape it was a good rape." So much of The Vagina Monologues is very angry at men for perpetuating a rape culture and I just do not like that monologue for portraying sexual abuse as "ok" if it's by a woman.

--------------------

JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness I had absolutely no idea about that! I can't believe they would change it and decide to keep it...that's really surprising. And hypocritical.

If I may be truthful, while I liked the monologue "He Liked to Look at It", I had some trouble with the...attitude. The whole idea that "wow, a woman ACTUALLY had a good experience with a MAN". I felt like it was almost...counter-productive in a way. I just remember feeling kind of self-conscious for liking men and having had good experiences with men, like that was unusual or weird. And I know The Vagina Monologues really aims for inclusion, especially of all women.

Sorry, I just wanted to get that out. After I read your post, I started reflecting back on the performance.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, CoatRack =]

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

As you can imagine there are usually about 2 million inside jokes that come along with being involved in the production of TVM. In almost every cast I've been on there's been SOME joke about "Bob" and how "ordinary" he was. "Why was Susan late?" "Well, SHE DOESN'T EVEN DRIVE FAST!"

I agree with you, though. A good portion of what the monologues do is really fabulous, but there are a lot of things like what you brought up here that, over the years, have started to make me more uncomfortable.

--------------------

naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you disliked that part, too. That older woman also has said to the 13, later 16 year old girl that “Your vagina, untouched by man, smells so nice, so fresh, wish I could keep it that way forever.” Ouch! Sounds like a predator, fetishizing virginity, and also giving her the message "don't you dare be bisexual". I was very surprized to see how relatively new the play is, I supposed it was much older.

Sleeping with men is not betraying the sisterhood, goddamnit. >:[

Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And liking sleeping with women as well as liking sleeping with men, maybe but not necessarily at the same time or even during the same relationship [Wink] , is not betraying the sisterhood either. [Smile] (Not speaking from the experience of a sister, obviously. [Wink] I just like to help remove unfair stereotypes whenever I can. [Smile] And especially bi-invisibility!)

PS: Part through the editing I realised the meaning behind the previous post. But there is still some stuff in my post here that is still relevant, so I'll leave it. [Smile]

[ 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.