Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » When to tell the family?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When to tell the family?
onlyhuman
Neophyte
Member # 56321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyhuman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, may name is Matthew. I feel as though I have gender dysphoria and I have done for a while now. I've only recently had the courage to begin the process via the GP and gender clinic.
I feel like it is a certain thing that I will transition at some point. The only thing I can imagine holding me back is fear over what affect the news will have on my family. I feel that my mum would accept it but that my dad and brother would be against it. How do I decide when I should tell them? My mind is against me for worrying about this that at some points I kinda phase out for ages and I can just be sat there thinking and worrying. I'm just not sure what to do. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 9 | From: Knaresborough, UK | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming out is such an individual thing that, as hard as it is to say, there's no set script or one perfect way to do it. Some families are totally open to the idea, other families will pretend that you never said anything, and others will react with the anger of uncertainty. And there's really no way to know, for sure, how any person will react.

I came out as transgender to my parents via letters. I sent them both an individual letter, a booklet from PFLAG called Welcoming Our Trans Family and Friends, and a list of local PFLAG meetings in their area.

I know you are in the UK, so some of that might not apply to you, but you can download the book for free, and it may have some ideas for you.

The biggest considerations when coming out to people you are uncertain about is your personal safety, and that includes mental, physical, and emotional safety.

Don't Let the Door Hit You on the Way Out is an article we have about coming out in a more broad sense.

Do you want to look over the things I linked you to and then come back for more discussion?

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyhuman
Neophyte
Member # 56321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyhuman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm mainly just so scared that this information is going to tear apart me family if I tell them.
Posts: 9 | From: Knaresborough, UK | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you say more about how/why you think that might happen?

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyhuman
Neophyte
Member # 56321

It's just generally because my mum is sound but my dad and brother are as a rule quite predjudiced and quick to anger.
onlyhuman
Neophyte
Member # 56321

The repsonse of anger is what I fear because my dad drinks quite heavily and it can be difficult to speak with him in general let alone with something so monumental and personal. When he is drunk the oddest things can link to something that irritates him and then sparks and arguments ensue. He is difficult to live with sometimes but I can't afford to get my own place.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting your physical and emotional safety first is always so important.

So, if you're pretty sure either would be at great risk by disclosing to your family, it's probably safest for you not to do that just yet.

Is waiting to do that going to put you in a spot where you're trying to do something like hide hormone therapy? Are you at that place yet?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyhuman
Neophyte
Member # 56321

No, I'm literally right at the beginning of the process. I still on the waiting list for the gender clinic.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, my best advice, then, would be not to disclose for now, and to talk about this with the therapist you start seeing at the gender clinic.

Very unfortunately, and as you probably know, lack of family acceptance is incredibly common with gender-variant people. But the good news is that professionals who work with gender issues are very familiar with that and can usually help clients/patients through that very well.

In the meantime, because it can feel so stifling to have to keep all of this to yourself, is there anyone else in your life you can disclose to who you are pretty sure will be accepting and supportive?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyhuman
Neophyte
Member # 56321

No, not really. At least no-one I could realistically guess the reaction of.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm so sorry to hear that.

By any chance, have you asked the gender clinic if they have any peer support groups?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

onlyhuman
Neophyte
Member # 56321

I'm just on the waiting list I have'nt actually been to it yet.
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Matthew [Smile] ,

While waiting for the gender clinic appt, have you looked into any local support organisations? The Beaumont Society offers online support and also lists a number of other organisations:
http://www.beaumontsociety.org.uk/other_help.html

Mermaids (UK) in particular is aimed at children and young people with gender identity issues:
http://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.