Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » "Science" in newspapers about Gender ideas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Science" in newspapers about Gender ideas
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you hate it when newspapers publish studies that say things like Testosterone increases 'risk-taking' behaviour, so XY people must be more risk-taking than XX people basically saying that we're not brave!

Then they say 'brain-scans' have proven that XX people can't navigate well, I know its probably just sexism, but doesn't it hurt when they try to explain it with science, and evolution to a lesser extent?

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By any chance, have you read "Delusions of Gender" yet? If not, I think you'd appreciate it.

It, like a couple other good books lately, does a very nice job of making clear that all science is not good science, and looking at science studying sex and gender like this with a very critical eye.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or rather, it's not actually science if they're making assumptions. I do want to read that "Delusions of Gender..." book, I want to start doing more reading in general actually.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the case of the first thing RaeRay2112 said was stated, it's more than that. For instance, there are some XX people with more testosterone than some XY people. As well, we'd need to know how they were defining "risk-taking," what their sample size was, whose testosterone they were studying very specifically, etc.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That book sounds cool. I read the wrong things. Like Elain Morgan's 'The Decent of Woman' which said (no offense to anyone and brace yourselves) that the clitoris was a 'vestigal' organ like the male nipple. Honestly broke my heart. I felt lost and uncomfortable in my body for days. I haven't even taken it back to the library because I refuse to touch it! I think that crisis was what lead me to Scarleteen actually, trying to find out. The book 'The Clitoral Truth' helped a lot too.

I didn't know about XX people having more Testosterone; peoples' bodies are amazing. I read somewhere (so could be totally wrong on this) that some people have less Testosterone or Oestrogen but are more sensitive to the hormone, so that would affect them more.

--------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, that book. Yeah. Just...yeah.

If you liked The Clitoral Truth, one I like even better is Natalie Angier's "Woman."

A given karyotype doesn't mean a person has a given chemical balance (whether we're talking about estrogens and testosterone or other biochemicals): there is still an awful lot of variety on the wide range of types. In general, XY people will tend to have higher levels of testosterone than XY people, but not always.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I was trying to post quickly, I know that there's all sorts of flaws in the studies claiming to prove that men or males are from mars and women or females are from venus (note I am not saying that sex and gender are equivalent, rather that the two are so often falsely equated).

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Yeah, a lot of times they don't even meantion the social side - like when they said that women (interestingly they didn't use the term females) are much more likely to become depressed after a one-night-stand, it was all presented as natural, no meantion of the social stigma it causes and how everyone will be certain that the woman has been 'used' and how gender identity states that women are supposed to prefer romance to sex. Therefore if she likes sex without romance she is somehow 'unnatural'.

The newspaper was the Times I think Jill2000Plus as I see you're from the UK. The Independent wrote an online article in response stating that the author and a lot of other XX people she knew enjoyed casual flings, dating and one night stands.

I had that a few years ago, I have sex with my friend and everyone said how he 'used' me and I got upset...but then I spoke to him and he said 'no, we both wanted to have sex, nobody manipulated anyone, and we're still close friends in my view.' I was sat there wondering why I'd been upset, how everyone had made me think that something had been 'done to' me.

It was a little easier for them to say that though, as he was 25 and I was 16; and he was in a position of power as an entertainer but I liked him as a person, not as a performer. We remained friends. Even if sexual desire was a factor in our friendship, I think that's fine as long as its not pretended to be absent - and it never was! He said we were friends and we were, I could go to him for anything.

[ 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.