Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Gender Confused, gay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gender Confused, gay
Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Daki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't know about my gender. I went through a short stage where I completely disliked my gender, and I think I might be gay, but I can't be certain. Everytime I think of the words "woman" or "breasts" or when my mom calls me her little girl, I feel weird. When I call myself a boy, I feel right. I don't want my breasts and I feel like I could do with changing my vagina into a penis when I'm older, but I also think that I could stick with the lower part. I seem to have a sexual attraction to both genders--female and male--the latter being more of a sexual attraction sometimes than the female, but I have a tendancy to feel more of a romantic feel around women.

I am also a bit of a girl chaser, and want to identify and become friends on a mutual level with the male species. I feel barely a platonic attraction for males, but I want to fit in with them, but I feel since I look like a girl, they won't accept me. When I am around certain girls that I think are cute or immensly attractive, I feel like I need to be butch...I have a low voice naturally, but I feel the urge to make it more masculine. Generally, even though the thought of my gender doesn't seem right, I don't completely resent my body parts either, but I don't want to go out in public as a girl. After several guys flirted with me, the feelings have gotten a bit worse!! [Frown] Help?? [Confused]

[ 12-17-2010, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Daki ]

--------------------
I am a fail waiting to epically win.

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you fill me in a little more on what you want help with? I'm just uncertain about what you need and how to best help you out. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like I need to be a boy...I mean, I'm a middle schooler that wants what every boy wants--to get a girl, but I am not sure!! Only one of my friends knows that I am, well gay, but I can't tell any of my friends how I feel about transgender. But I really want to connect with males on a friendship level, but I don't know how to get rid of my anxiety about hanging out with them.

--------------------

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, every boy doesn't want to get a girl, because not every boy is heterosexual or bisexual. Some boys are only attracted to other boys and who they want sexual and/or relationship with are other boys, not girls.

You say you also want male friends, but feel anxiety about hanging out with them: can you fill me in on what you think that anxiety is about? Is it about being treated like a girl by them when you don't feel like one, about worries around their reactions if you were to disclose how you feel about your gender or orientation, about other things than those....?

Do you want help finding someone in person you can talk with openly and safely about gender?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, I feel the anxiety about be treated like a girl, and fitting into the male niche worrying that they'll not accept that I want to be like them. I have a counselor, but sometimes I feel like I need different advice. Thank you.

P.S. Well, sorry about that. I know about gay boys, but I meant the heterosexual ones when I was talking about wanting a girlfriend.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Gotcha. So, might you have any guys you know or might get to know who you suspect may be educated about and accepting gender variance?

Have you been able to talk to your current counselor about gender? If so, have you been happy with their feedback?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

I have...but I haven't discussed this yet, and I felt the urgent need to ask advice now, and I don't have her number at this time.

One guy friend, but when I even mentioned "not feeling like a girl", he got uncomfortable, so I disclosed that subject. I mean, I have a guy friend, but back in Elementary school, and I don't live there anymore. I realised how...different middle school is and how sensitive people are to those subjects.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

For sure, and as well, not everyone is going to be the right friend for us, you know? Just because someone is a certain gender, doesn't mean they're going to be a god fit for a friend or any other kind of relationship. You probably know that already, but just sayin.'

For sure, though, when people are young and especially during and around puberty, gender can be a particularly precarious subject, and not everyone will be very educated or sensitive about it, nor very open-minded or inclusive.

Can you maybe fill me in some on what you're looking for in a friendship with someone, period? Maybe that can help us some here.

Also, have you felt at all able to talk with your mother about your feelings around gender yet?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

I just feel...awkward around girls (Except for two, but that's because I've been friends with them since a while). What I am looking for is a "normal" (at least what mine always turn out to be) friendship--to talk about whatever, laugh, hangout, and tease each other without being offensive or anything.

I've talked about it with my mom. She said she really doesn't mind, but she doesn't want me to discuss it in middle school because she doesn't want anyone to mess with me. I have an accepting family, so I am pretty lucky. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

That's great your mother has been so accepting. perhaps, though, you two could talk together to identify some more people you CAN talk about gender with? Because not talking about it at all isn't a good answer, and neither is winding up feeling totally socially isolated.

Per what you want in a friendship, who around you can you identify that you think you can have that with?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Two friends in my fourth period, and the people I sit with at the table everyday at lunch. I still have friends that are girls, but most of them I'm awkward with...especially the girl I like. My mom told me I could talk to one of her friends that has gone through these issues, but I don't think I feel comfortable discussing that with her friends specifically. When we were requested to fill out a counseling form and check boxes off groups we'd like to join, and give ideas for what type of groups we wanted, I wanted an LGBT, which they said would not happen. The self-esteem group scared me because it was all female, and I really would have felt more comfortable in a nuetral group. I talk about it with my best friend from back in California, but judging by her joking about it, I'm not sure if she understands.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

So, those friends in the 4th period and your lunch friends: it sounds like you're saying those are already your friends, yes? If so, is there something you want out of those friendships you're not getting?

(Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.)

Your school said an LGBT group would not happen? Who told you that? Has your mother had a talk with the administration about that?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

I don't feel "secure" in those relationships, or that I am not properly conveying myself to others a) because I have to hide somethings from my friends b) I'm too afraid to ask what they're interested in. I feel more emotionally attatched to girls, but that I can hold a conversation better with boys, but I am too fearful to speak up most of the time to people my gender and not my gender.

And about the school: the counseler said they wouldn't make a group specifically for that, and that I should join the self-esteem group. I can't really talk about that with them, because that is apart of my issue. I am not sure what type of people I am dealing with.

--------------------

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

I haven't told my mom about the counseling groups--or in specifics, the LGBT group request.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Can you? I ask because a school saying that's "not going to happen" could be a school not being supportive of LGBT students when they need to be, and there are some actions you and your Mom could take around that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

My mom just came home, and she said she'd talk about it. We live in a more conservative town, so...I kinda forgot to tell her.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I'm glad you'll talk about it together. If either of you want a good place to start for resources with that, you can take a look at GLSEN: http://www.glsen.org/

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Thank You very much. I think I have to go, but thanks. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

For sure. We're around if and when you want or need to talk some more!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.