Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Is Oral Sex Not Important As Vaginal Sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Oral Sex Not Important As Vaginal Sex?
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niecy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to my clinic today and to my surprise they had free condoms. The Nurse said they have always been there but ive never noticed. She also went on to day that she puts them there so students can make healthy sex choices.But when i opened the envelope there was not any oral sex things. And i have also noticed NO ONE promotes oral sex protection. Well besides health sites but commercials dont. Ive NEVER seen dental dam or flavored condoms in a store and neither have any clinic i have ever been to gave them away with normal condoms. So do clinics and other media disregard oral sex or is it just as important as the other type of sex? And why is it not advertised like normal condoms are?
Posts: 38 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Niecy, you bring up a very interesting and important point! Oral sex protection IS just as important, as it absolutely poses a risk of STIs, just like vaginal or anal sex. It's very disappointing that there is such a lack of protection for oral sex where you are!

I've personally found that our society does tend to overlook the risks of oral sex and focus more on just pregnancy risks, so things like dental dams go pretty much ignored. You can use normal condoms and just cut them up yourself to make dental dams, but it really would be better if stores and clinics had them more readily available.

Maybe, if you want to, you should bring this up the next time you go to the clinic! It's always good to spread awareness of this stuff, even when it's to people who should already know it. And they just might pay attention and start supplying them [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael.RN
Activist
Member # 49692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael.RN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favored condoms are sold in wal-mart. Durex makes and sells a combo pack. They contain Strawberry, Banana, and Orange.
Posts: 42 | From: va | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it depends on what area you live in, because at my work we give out flavored condoms and dental dams along with regular condoms and female condoms. People can take as many as they want, and it's too bad that some other locations don't offer the same selection of free condoms/barriers.

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael.RN
Activist
Member # 49692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael.RN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are having trouble finding free flavored condoms in your area, and you cant find any in any store, then try the internet. You can do a google search for flavored condoms for sale. Its not free but its safier than not having them.

Hope this helps!

http://www.condomdepot.com/product/catalog.cfm/nid/207

Posts: 42 | From: va | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one addition on this: the risks of STIs from oral sex *are* considerably lower than with vaginal and/or anal intercourse. There are not no risks, there are still risks, but the majority of STI transmission in the world does happen primarily via vaginal and/or anal sex.

Secondarily, it happens via fellatio: giving oral sex to someone with a penis. Last in line is cunnilingus, giving oral sex to someone with a vulva. Again, there aren't no risks with the last one, but they are even lower than the risk with fellatio.

Mind, none of that makes safer sex with oral sex irrelevant or unnecessary, especially with new partners or when people aren't being monogamous. But all of that does tend to be why so many sexual health clinics focus most on barriers for the other activities.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niecy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Thank you for this information. I live in Georgia and ive just never seen flavored condoms or dental dam anywhere. I know Grady Hospital in atlanta gives away free condoms and birth control and they stress how important using protection is for any form of sex but they do not give out oral sex condoms nor dental dams either [ they did yearssss ago from what my mom says but dont anymore ]. Me and my sister went to about 10 different stores in our hometown area and in our own areas [ we go to different colleges super far away ] and we still did not find any. But thanks for the website.
Posts: 38 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One doesn't need a flavored condom to have protection with oral sex, just to be clear. An unlubricated condom works just fine (and within a little bit using a flavored one, the flavor is gone, anyway, so they wind up tasting the same).

In other words, we don't need special condoms for use with oral sex. Some people like using the flavored ones, others don't, but they're not required.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My college's health services don't offer flavored condoms or dental dams either and when I asked them about it they said it's because in order to get them cheaply they have to order them in bulk (about 1,000 per type of condom), and there's simply not high enough demand for oral sex protection. (This is the same reason they don't carry XL condoms either)

So I think one of primary reasons for this is that people simply don't realize, or care (but I'm gonna go more with "realize" because I've had so many guys say they didn't "realize" they could get STIs from oral), that oral sex poses risks. If more people were educated, there may be more demand for oral protection, and therefore we'd find more flavored condoms and dental dams in places like my Health Services and hopefully other health clinics as well. (and ideally stores!)

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Callie_Cat_09
Neophyte
Member # 51438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Callie_Cat_09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen dental dams for sale, I have seen flavoured condoms but the idea f them doesn't appeal greatly. Luckily, I'm with a long-term partner who I know is clean, so they're only required for normal sex [Smile]

--------------------
~Callie

Posts: 11 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Just a reminder to everyone that we're not big fans here of using the word "clean" to describe someone's STI status, as it implies that those people with STIs are dirty. Terms like "clear" or "negative" are just fine. Too, there is no one kind of sex that's "normal", so everyone please bear that in mind as well. Thanks!)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.