Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Hormones (and doctors)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hormones (and doctors)
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Is there any way to get Testosterone without a lot of "Talk Therapy"? I know there can be medical complications, so if some doctor says it's a bad idea for me, I understand. Are there any doctors that will do that? Who will sit down and talk with me?

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I'm assuming you are currently a female-bodied person asking about this per a gender issue. If you're not, and you're asking about T for a different use, sorry about that, and just fill me in.)

In order to be prescribed testosterone, your doctor will, to my understanding, need a reason to do so, one they can medically justify within their own field and scope of practice, just as is the case with estrogen, or any other prescription medication.

In other words, I can't usually just go into a doctor sand say "Hey, I want some Percoset" without having a condition they can diagnose and feel Percoset is a good treatment for, and one that will be safe for me.

And given the big impact taking T tends to have on people emotionally -- a lot of people find it to be seriously rough, especially at first -- even without that precedent I'd personally suggest someone taking T has a counselor to call on, period.

But let me toss this over to someone who keeps more current with this than I do and double-check, okay?

[ 01-29-2010, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, here's what I've got back to report:

"It depends. If the clinic uses an informed consent model then it is possible to get hormones without therapy. You need to check with the particular clinic or doc to see what their policies are. They may follow the WPATH standards of care, which do require a letter from a therapist, or they may go off of informed consent. Some of the LGBT heath centers, and there are 13 in the US, do informed consent."

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that was a quick response!

Thank you for checking with whoever you are checking with. [Smile]

I'm just wondering because (besides my dress) I'm pretty much the opposite of a male stereotype. So if it comes to a psych person making the call it could get dicey. And I don't want to have to present a false front and I generally am not good at lying anyway. I've also had some bad times with psychiatrists, and I'm worried I'll be noticed to be anxious and be written of as unsure of "herself".

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Standards of care when it comes to trans therapy and expecting (or requiring) people to strongly meet a binary have been changing for a while. They're not as stringent about that as they used to be.

Required or not, if you're going to start a transition, I'd seriously advise trying to find a trans-friendly therapist. It's just very likely you'll want that kind of dedicated support at least sometimes.

You get to choose who that is, by the way, and I'd encourage you to shop around and only choose someone YOU like, and who you feel gets and accepts you with whom you know you can be honest. Without the ability to be honest, therapy is rarely of help to anyone.

If this is something you want, and you want to toss me a zip code, I could toss out an email or a tweet to see if anyone has any suggestions for someone in your area. We're very well networked, so chances are good I'd come back with at least one recommendation.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, again.

I'm glad to hear that therapists are more open-minded. I know that the people I'm with are usually pretty open-minded. But my geeky friends and professional people older than me can have *very* different ideas.

I'll see if I can send you a private message with zipcode.

Also, I'm glad you're so patient - I've gone here with problems, but never really helped out. Because I'm a bit older - and I'm "weird". Things that work for me are not the same as for many others. But I do know some things, particularly about sex and being disabled.

But thanks for answering all the questions and getting involved in all of the discussions you do.

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

Heather
Member # 3

Aw, thanks! One word, though? If I had a nickel for every user here sure their issues and likes and dislikes are worse than everyone else's? I'd be a rich lass! Since so many people who comes here would say the same thing, I'm in favor of putting whatever it is out there: it may just make you and someone else feel a lot less alone. [Smile]

And you're totally welcome. If you email that zip, I'll put my feelers out for you and see what we can find.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Ok,

It'll take a bit to find your e-mali, since I can't PM you, but then I'll email you.

Although I have to say I don't think they're "worse" just different, so potentially useful to less people. 1%, not 50%. Not that that means I can't also draw on stuff that my friends have said about what's good and bad for them as well.

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

Heather
Member # 3

You can just hit the "contact us link" at the bottom of the page. [Smile]

And if we're just talking about the boards -- which are way less populated than the rest of the site -- we've got over 40,000 registered users. 1% of 40,000 is 400 people. [Big Grin]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Hey, Just checking up - Did you get my "contact us" message?

If not I'll re-send. (and/or make sure I didn't mis-spell my e-mail like I've done a few times)

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

Heather
Member # 3

Give it another try?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Ok.
Sent!

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

Heather
Member # 3

Here's a great list for you: http://www.cagaphoenix.org/central-az-resources.html

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Thanks. That is helpful!

Also - actually on a bus route. Nice. Most doctors and suchlike tend to have their offices in the rich busless parts of town. [Smile]

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

Heather
Member # 3

As someone who only drove for a few years of her life and hasn't had a car in over a decade, I feel you. It's always so helpful when doctors and clinics are reachable by public trans.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.