Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Birth control and the body- genderqueer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control and the body- genderqueer
telo
Neophyte
Member # 39041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for telo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there everyone! I'm a female and basically I had been totally comfortable with my body until I started birth control. I was wondering if anyone else has happened upon this.. Or I figured I'd share my story with you guys anyway.

SO! I've been leaning toward labeling myself as genderqueer for a few years at this point but the subject rarely comes up.

I had been very comfortable with my body because I was barely an A cup, and I was mistaken as a man more than a few times. I feel like my body had a pristine connection with my mind because I was (to my knowledge) otherwise perfectly healthy and my period had disappeared for six months which forced me to use birth control. The effects of birth control are making me realize how hard it is for people to deal with their gender when their bodies function ..properly? I guess? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing this correctly. Now that I have noticeable breasts and have my period.. It's more than appearance to deal with.

My body hadn't had the means to make breasts, acne or menstruate before this. It just made sense before. I feel like my body knew what it ws doing before I 'corrected' it.

This will be my last month on birth control unless I can find out if there are alternative brands I can use that won't effect my appearance so much. I know that as a woman I should be having a period so I'll probably have to go back to using it.

I feel like someone in my situation would just be better off on T than estrogen and whatever hormones are in my pills.

Any opinions/stories/feedback/advice is VERY appreciated!

Posts: 14 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acne actually is usually about androgens, actually (which T is), not estrogens. And whatever your unique hormonal makeup is, you will -- as we all do, of any gender -- have androgens and estrogens. In other words, it sounds like you're assuming you didn't have any sex hormones before, which you would have.

That said, hormonal methods aren't for everyone, and they do impact some people in ways that don't work for them or that they're not comfortable with.

Have you discussed any of this with your healthcare provider yet, both the impact the BC is having on you, and/or -- if this is what you want -- potential hormone therapy for transitioning?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telo
Neophyte
Member # 39041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for telo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't discussed any of this with a doctor. I get my bc from planned parenthood in money-product- out the door way. I'm not sure when my next doctors appointment is, but should I talk to the people at PP if I want to get off bc anyway? Once I get off it I'm going to lay low for a while and let my body readjust to its natural self.
Posts: 14 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you just want to stop taking it, you don't need to consult with anyone about that unless you were prescribed it as treatment for a health condition.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.