Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Gender Identity and Gender Roles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gender Identity and Gender Roles
telo
Neophyte
Member # 39041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for telo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey. I just got to thinking and I decided I'd share a little piece of my latest blog and maybe some of you great people here can just lend an opinion. I'll post the whole blog if you want some context but mostly it's just a big ramble.

ANYWAY:
quote:
Labeling always SEEMS to make things easier. It's when I get caught up in labels I find I question myself most.

Pansexual, yes. But who wants to go through all that trouble explaining what that word means?

Am I gender queer? Yeah. I think I am. But is it that big of a deal that I should want to shun my pronouns (what's in a pronoun...) and make up some new ones? For THAT matter, why should I adopt a separate or binary gender? Why can't I morph what I think female is?

So, basically I think what I mean is, since society has made it acceptable for things to be associated with either gender.. If we stop and think, maybe all of us are a bit gender queer to different extents because of gender roles changing over time? Some just lie exactly in the middle of the binary gender line.

Sorry, I'm rambling. This just hit me and I felt like I needed to write it now.

Posts: 14 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I'm inclined to distinguish between gender identity and gender expression (and just to clarify, neither of these necessarily has the slightest thing to do with sex, whether chromosomal or phenotypic). In other words, on the gender expression spectrum a "metrosexual" man (whether a cis man or trans man)may be more on the feminine side than a butch woman (whether a cis woman or trans woman), but on the gender identity spectrum the butch woman is more on the female side than the man. And, of course, someone could fall right in the middle of the gender identity spectrum and yet be on one extreme of the gender expression spectrum. I'm not sure how coherent I'm being, but this piece about distinguishing maleness from masculinity might help clarify what I'm trying to say.

[ 07-23-2009, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: NonStraightAnswers ]

Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.