Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Fathers' Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fathers' Day
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Father's Day won't be celebrated until the end of June here in the US, but it's never too early to show your appreciation to your dad! (Or, for that matter, mom or grandpa or grandma or aunt or uncle or sibling, etc. etc.)

Being a dad means wearing so many hats; plus, no one dad is the same as another. However, based on portrayals of Father's Day in stores and media, we're offered pretty limited images of who dads are, what they do, and what they like.

Let's turn away from the store displays and Hallmark racks to think about what Father's Day really means to us individually. Here are some questions to get you started.

1. How do you feel about commercial representation of dads and the father role on Father's Day?

(For example, you'll see a lot of Father's Day cakes with ties or trucks, but not many with pink icing and flowers. You'll see Father's Day store displays featuring grilling and garden equipment gift ideas but no promotions for spa treatments and weekend getaways like you do for Mother's Day.)

2. How do you celebrate Father's Day, if you observe it?

I look forward to hearing your opinions and experiences! [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I feel like all commercial representations of roles, the representations of dads are extremely limited. But I've almost gotten used to that by now. :-P

2. We ask Dad what he wants to do for the day, which can vary from year to year: going out to the movies as a family, or bike rides, or to the lake (hiking and swimming and fishing). In the evening, his favorite food, and presents- things like parts for his computer, favorite books, etc. I think his favorite present last year was a really fancy omelette pan, lol. (He taught my mom how to cook when they were first married, and is still the more ambitious/gourmet cook of the two.)

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslaSingaza
Neophyte
Member # 40417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslaSingaza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my family, we have never celebrated Fathers' Day. We make a fuss about Mothering Sunday (because my father's always made us make a huge fuss about it), but it's an utter importation to Britain and not something he's ever thought was valid. But we're not really a 'holidays' family at all. And my father doesn't like being bought presents of any sort - he buys his own at Christmas.
I find the commercial representation of fathers generally quite far removed from reality. Dad's not like the fathers I see in adverts; although he is hugely inept (which is a stereotype British advertising is especially fond of - father as bumbling fool) he's inept in a very different way from, say, the man in the Sheen or Picture Loan adverts. The two memories of my father that most quickly spring to mind at the moment are him eating all the donuts that were meant for me and my brother in the night "because it would have been unfair to leave an odd number", and of him, about ten years after that, drunkenly making me listen to a record that he'd loved about thirty years before at one in the morning in the kitchen. I love my father a great deal.

Posts: 35 | From: London/Oxford, UK | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With today being Father's Day, I wanted to bump this! [Smile]

not_a_hobgoblin, your outdoor Father's Day activities and personalized gifts sound great! What did you end up doing this year together? Am I correct to assume you ate omelettes for breakfast?

IslaSingaza, I appreciate the frankness in your reply and it's interesting reading about the British advertising stereotype you mention and how it differs from reality, if in a different way than some might assume.

Thanks to you two! And now, gentle reader [Wink] , what about you?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We never really celebrated Father's Day in my family. Me and my younger sis and bros used to make my father some personnalized gifts though when we were young (them still but not me).

I'm not close to my father at all, even more so since the last few years after my parent's divorce. I see him a few times a year like maybe three times a year, not more even though he lives close to us at like 15 minutes in car. He's got better preoccupations I guess. I don't see him all summer long, including on Father's Day because he's working away each year.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Like already pointed out, Father's Day entails a lot of stupid stereotypes that many men can't relate to at all. Most of them relate to rough play, sports, etc., not the very real role fathers can and do have as nurturers, listeners, and teachers.

2. I was pretty much forced into celebrating Father's Day, and to tell the truth I always thought it kind of crappy. There's this expectation to show one's father gratitude regardless of whether that feeling is genuine or deserved.

I believe there shouldn't be a holiday like this, nor Mother's Day. People shouldn't be guilted into appreciating their parents, but do so because they're grateful for their work and enjoy their company. My genetic sire will not be hearing from me this "Father's Day", just in case the half-arsed-Mom-instigated hugs and macaroni necklaces of the past -- that didn't even get a thank-you -- weren't enough of a tip-off.

(Sorry if I made this negative! I'm very supportive of fathers, mothers, and parents, but I think hearing from people who don't have a dad or were abused by one need to chime in too. :))

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I honestly never really thought about it in that way before you brought it up. Though I do remember feeling rather bewildered when I was younger and saw all the typical Fathers' Day decorations, none of which could possibly be good gifts for my father. He's not into grilling, or ties, or football. He likes soccer and kayaking, but he also likes reading a wide range of literature. I do kind of wonder who exactly these fathers are that stores market to, because I've never really met a father that was into all those things.

2. I don't have a very good relationship with my father, but I did do something this year. I made dinner and a cake, all Hungarian dishes (he's Hungarian). The dinner was great; everyone went for seconds. [Smile] The cake is still in the process of being made, but I hope it will be good. This year has been a little surreal because both of my brothers are now fathers, a realization that only dawned on me on Friday. It's still a little weird to think about them as fathers rather than as my dorky older brothers who compete with one another for the highest score in a particular video game every Christmas.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shea
Neophyte
Member # 39705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad fits the stereotypical father pretty well, so the holiday doesn't bother me much. He loves to grill, to camp, to drink beer while watching racing. Hell, he even has a tattoo of a campfire! *and the Star Trek emblem*

Our fathers day consists of mom making him his favorite meal, which is ALWAYS bacon and eggs with watermelon for dessert. His mom will come and have dinner with us, and we'll all talk and have a good family meal together. It's really more about being together as a family than my dad, other than him picking the menu. He seems happy though, and always makes sure there's absolutely no left overs!

Posts: 32 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fharan
Neophyte
Member # 43653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fharan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe there shouldn't be a holiday like this, nor Mother's Day. People shouldn't be guilted into appreciating their parents, but do so because they're grateful for their work and enjoy their company. My genetic sire will not be hearing from me this "Father's Day", just in case the half-arsed-Mom-instigated hugs and macaroni necklaces of the past -- that didn't even get a thank-you -- weren't enough of a tip-off.

[Edited to remove the link you included: solicitations or spam aren't okay here.]

[ 08-09-2009, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

Posts: 3 | From: Dhaka | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.