Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » 'Gender Questioning' Boy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Gender Questioning' Boy
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 7 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be volunteering at an art camp for kids ages 6-10. At the councilor orientation yesterday, we were told that during one of the weeks, there would be a little boy who (I think the director said) is "gender questioning", and that we need to be very sensitive to him. Thing is, I'm not too sure what this entails, or what I should do if he's not accepted by the other kids. I don't know how blatant or subtle his femininity is; he may prefer playing with the girls and drawing fairies rather than monsters, or he may come to camp wearing a jumper. I'm not sure what to do if another kid asks him or me why he's wearing a dress/drawing fairies, or unknowingly/knowingly insults him (kids can be pretty cruel). Any advice?

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing what we know of you here, SnailShells, I think you'll do a great job with this child, and probably need less help than you think.

You might ask the director to be more specific about what they want and what limitations any of you have. If, for instance, this child does get teased or picked on, are you able to address gender issues and sensitivity with the other campers (and art can be a great vehicle for that)? If another kid does ask you about this, are you allowed to explain that everyone's gender identity is different, maybe by talking about how girls can wear pants now, or how some boys don't like sports while some girls do?

Also, tolerance.org has some AWESOME teaching materials on these issues, like this one: http://www.tolerance.org/teach/activities/activity.jsp?ar=841

You might nose around there to get some ideas about how to address bias with students/campers.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks very much! [Smile] I don't know if I'll be slotted to volunteer the week he's there, but I'll definately feel prepared if he is. I think it will be more of the Wrangler's job (one step above councilor, one below teacher) to adress these issues with the campers should the need arise, but at least I can point them in the right direction if they need help. Thanks again! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.