Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » school project- transexuality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: school project- transexuality
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a couple of weeks, at school, I need to make a 20 minute oral presentation about the moral issues of transexuality, and whether they can function well in society. Mind you, I am completely and utterly supportive of the GLBT community, but I'm pretty sure the presentation has to include why people would think differently than me...

In any case, I don't want to start a discussion about that here, considering I don't want a possible big argument to rupture over why we should or should not support the GLBT community. What I would appreciate is any information or testimonials about the treatment of transexuals in general. In addition, if anyone could enlighten me about what defines someone as a transexual, about any biological roots to it, whether it happens in other species (the only example I know of are oysters), and what the treatment to transition entails, I would be quite grateful.

No one needs to answer all of this if they don't wish. Any information is useful [Smile] . Thanks.

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your best bet per places to get that research would be places like the Wiki for transgender, which has a really extensive bibliography.

If you're looking for information on human rights issues (how TG/TS people have been treated), I'd suggest looking at the Sylvia Rivera Law Project, The Transgender Law and Policy Institute, and the IFGE.

The process of transitioning varies a lot, especially when you bear in mind how often the legal and medical policies vary. But tsroadmap.com has a lot of information, and this page has a solid primer, too.

(Suffice it to say? You're also going to want to be clear on if you mean transgender or transsexual. Transsexual is the term most usually used to mean someone who has fully transitioned, including having had genital surgery, electively. Given your reference to oysters, I'm not sure you're really talking about transsexuality. The issues with oysters and shrimp would be more about intersex.

Too, that's a pretty odd way to put it, period, per the "moral" issues of someone being of a certain gender or gender identity. It's not that far from talking about the moral issues of someone being mixed-race, for example.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More than the moral issues of transexuality itself, one of the issues at hand is whether it is "moral" or not to support them... which, of course, I am completely biased about, but unfortunately have to attempt at objectivity... I thought that'd be the easiest way for people to understand it, but I see what you mean...

I will quote you on that one though [Smile] . Do you have any other suggestions as to what the title of my presentation may be then?

And what do you mean by intersex? What I understood about oysters was from something I heard once that said "there are two types of male oysters, and one of them can change gender at will."

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, but again, that really is like asking if it is moral to support someone who is intersex, or moral to support someone of a given race or economic class. So, you might want to even ask if it's "moral" to ask questions about why it would somehow be moral or immoral to support someone of any given group, especially when we're talking about things that people only have so much control over. Most transgendered and transsexual people have had gender issues since very early childhood.

Per intersex, again, do some research. Intersex refers to people whose chromosomes are not XX or XY: their biological sexual makeup is outside those two choices, and there are far more than a few of those people. I'm not all that well-versed on the specifics of sex changes in oysters, but I think you'd need to know if those changes are elective and if so why, to know where to class oysters per whether they are TG, TS or intersex.

In terms of titles, I really couldn't tell you. Like I said, to me, this sort of approach to transgender or transsexuality (even though I know you, I know that's not what you intend) really flirts with some pretty scary stuff if you're placing a morality on supporting or not abusing any given group of people, much like Hitler's approaches to Jews, if you can see how it looks from where I'm sitting. Human rights are human rights, so talking about morality in giving or taking away those rights is more than precarious.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.