Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » confused about gender identity and presentation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: confused about gender identity and presentation
Ohanapecosh
Neophyte
Member # 35505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ohanapecosh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always kind of a "preppy girl" but I never really thought much about it; I just wanted to fit in with my friends. Then I went to college and I started to relax in terms of clothing style. In my second year, my sister started researching gender stuff for a high school graduation project she was doing, and something about what she was learning sort of clicked with me. I started learning more about gender and I realized that I didn't identify as a woman, but I'm not sure what I really identify as. I've tried out different labels, like gender variant, but none of them really seem to fit either.

And now I'm not even sure if I'm straight. In the last year-and-a-half or so I've noticed that I'm sometimes attracted to other girls (but only girls who are more androgynous or are experimenting with gender presentation).

I really want to experiment more with gender presentation, but I'm kind of scared to do that...not exactly sure why I'm scared. Sometimes I try binding, but that's about all I really feel comfortable doing.

Does any one have any suggestions or help for me?

Posts: 1 | From: state of Washington | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for.

You certainly don't need anyone's permission or okay to explore your own gender and figure out, over time, what fits you best.

Too, sexual orientation and gender identity are separate issues: obviously, gender and orientation are related in some ways, but people who are gendernormative (which is a weird term already, since there is no one "right" or "normal" gender identity or presentation) can be and are bisexual or lesbian, as can be and are people who are not.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.