Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » I think I'm XXY...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think I'm XXY...
Talented_Tongue
Neophyte
Member # 33642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talented_Tongue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have Klinefelter's Syndrome. I'm pretty sure but I don't know how to be positive. I'm not even sure if I wanna know for sure. It certainly would explain a lot tho...

I thought I'd post here before telling my family and friends. My friends won't think much of it. My family is just too damn conservative, they'll treat it like a disease.

--------------------
If you're against Oral Sex than quite simply keep your mouth shut!

Posts: 23 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A simple genetic test will determine if you have an extra X chromosome in there. Ask your doctor about it. It's just a blood draw and a few lab tests.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talented_Tongue
Neophyte
Member # 33642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talented_Tongue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so when I get blood drawn, what should I tell my doctor to check for in the lab tests?

--------------------

Posts: 23 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step 1: "Hi doctor, I know this might sound unusual, but I think I might have Klinefelter's."
Step 2: "If you think I might be onto something, an you maybe run a DNA test for it?"

Granted, I think your doctor will tell you you don't have it. but then again, what's your reasoning for thinking you might have Klinefelter's?

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talented_Tongue
Neophyte
Member # 33642

Well, I'm 19 and can't grow a beard. I hit puberty earlier than most guys (like the typical age when most girls hit it) but then stopped, hence the minimal facial hair and body hair. My hips are rather rounded. I don't necessarily have "man boobs" but my chest noticeably sticks out further than most guys. I clearly have a lack of testosterone. I have decent muscles but that's only because I been working out since I was 14 and used to down protein shakes a lot, though I don't anymore.

I'm overly emotional. I can't seem to relate to the male gender. I had a rough childhood where I always felt like a freak. I'm clearly more comfortable in the presence of females although I don't have any transgender desires or any desire to be a female. Well, I guess that's it.

Of course,these may all just be mere coincidences or perhaps the result of my environment. But I just wanna know...

--------------------

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Realize that some people simply don't feel comfortable fitting into the "gender norms" - there are a number of women who may feel better in the company of men, doing so called "male" activities, not relating to emotions as well as others. Just as you've explained that you feel more emotional than what stereotypes claim a typical male should (again, this is largely culturally and media based).

That all said, if you do feel that you could possibly have Klinefelter's, like Gumdrop explained, simply just go into your doctor and ask them to run the blood test for it, that's going to be the only real way to find out for sure. [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just passing through from the road, but saw this and wanted to make sure everyone's clear here. I absolutely get the importance of just wanting to know things like this per personal identity, but I hope you ALSO know that Klinefelter's isn't anything you have to WORRY about -- it's not an illness -- nor is it something you necessarily need any treatment for. The only real issue, if it is one for you, is that most men with Klinefelter's are infertile.

It is, very simply, just one of several possible genetic variations.

(Also know that the boy variations you're describing really aren't "clearly" a lack of testosterone. Plenty of XY guys have sparse facial or body hair, lowe body mass, etc. In addition, with Klinefelters' you're usually looking at delayed puberty, not early puberty, and having XXY -- or any genetic combination -- really has no bearing on how someone interreleates with members of a given sex or gender.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67930 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talented_Tongue
Neophyte
Member # 33642

No, no, no. I certainly don't feel like I have to worry about it or that it's an illness that needs treated. I just think it would simply explain a lot of things and would help with my identity. I just wanna know who/what I am...

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, by all means, have a chat with your doctor and ask for a DNA test.

Suffice it to say, even if you ARE XXY, that STILL may not answer the much larger issue of who/what you are -- people with Klinefelter's are very diverse, and all far more, per identity, than People With Klinefelter's. So, I'd just be a little prepared, no matter the result, to feel or understand that knowing your genetic makeup most likely will not resolve that big question for you, even if knowing that resolves a part of your identity issues.

And for a lot of intersex people, that IS no small thing, mind. Lots of intersex people, just like lots of transgender people, often have a feeling of profound difference from their peers from very early ages, of feeling -- often inexplicably -- like a big part of them just doesn't fit. But, so too do a whole lot of people who are XX, XY, or cisgendered, just because the sex and gender binaries and roles out and about in the world are so often so limiting and so screwed up.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67930 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manuelrodriguez
Neophyte
Member # 34086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manuelrodriguez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talented_Tongue:
I think I have Klinefelter's Syndrome. I'm pretty sure but I don't know how to be positive. I'm not even sure if I wanna know for sure. It certainly would explain a lot tho...

I thought I'd post here before telling my family and friends. My friends won't think much of it. My family is just too damn conservative, they'll treat it like a disease.

Wow, Thats something nice to hear , hahhaha

--------------------
Military school for girl
girl boarding school

Posts: 4 | From: Asia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Manuel, please try to keep posts relevant and not chatty. Thanks!]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill G
Neophyte
Member # 33485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to throw my two cents in here because my younger brother has Klinefelter's so I feel I have some experiance with the condition.

First of all I just want to echo the people teliing you that getting tested is not a bad idea - if you want to know then I think its smart to take action and find out and you certainly do fit the "symptoms". (Just a side note: My brother hit puberty early too, even with the Klinefelter's)

Secondly I just want to emphisize the fact that, even if you are diagnosed there is not much a doctor could change. My brother gets testosterone shots now and that has made some difference - he's gotten very hairy haha but emotionally, there is no shot to undo the changes Klinefelter's can cause.

I'm sure you probably new that but I just wanted to make sure - and if you have any questions I can totally ask my brother/parents - my family has been dealing with therapy and treatments for Klinefelter's for years now so we're pretty informed haha

Posts: 8 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irreplaceablesunshine
Neophyte
Member # 37109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irreplaceablesunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talented_Tongue:
Well, I'm 19 and can't grow a beard. I hit puberty earlier than most guys (like the typical age when most girls hit it) but then stopped, hence the minimal facial hair and body hair. My hips are rather rounded. I don't necessarily have "man boobs" but my chest noticeably sticks out further than most guys. I clearly have a lack of testosterone. I have decent muscles but that's only because I been working out since I was 14 and used to down protein shakes a lot, though I don't anymore.

I'm overly emotional. I can't seem to relate to the male gender. I had a rough childhood where I always felt like a freak. I'm clearly more comfortable in the presence of females although I don't have any transgender desires or any desire to be a female. Well, I guess that's it.

Of course,these may all just be mere coincidences or perhaps the result of my environment. But I just wanna know...

it may just be your body type. many men, are endomorphs in the sense that they are more curvy, and tend to have "man boobs"

and whom oyu chose to be friends with has nothing to do with it. their are gay men who have only men friends, straight women who have only girl friends, transexuals who have no friends. etc. (btw, the examples are not meant to be taken offensively, there are many transexuals with millions of friends, etc..)

--------------------
when your gone, the pieces of my heart are missing you..

Posts: 6 | From: Brazil | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw your thread and just wanted to add in a little side note as well. I work with an adult that has Klinefelterís (with an additional diagnosis that is unrelated Ė the reason for them needing assistance) and they have spoken to me very openly about how each of their diagnoses have affected their life. I told him about someone through a website wondering about a possible diagnosis and he said I could share this.

He said, ďKlinefelterís isnít a death sentence, and itís not something I feel is a major deal either. All it meant for me was that I wasnít going to be able to have my own kids Ö and thatís a part of life too. Some people can have kids and some people canít. Granted Iíve got this chair so chances are I wasnít going to have my own kids anyway. But I encourage my friends to adopt if thatís all thatís standing in their way. All people look different Ö and really it would be boring if we looked the same. I donít use the hormone shots because I didnít want them. If other people want them then they should have them. Itís a personal choice. But what it comes down to is just knowing that itís not a bad thing.Ē

If you personally want to know one way or the other you should definitely talk to your doctor because they would be able to test you for that. But ultimately Ö the decision is yours. Just know that while it may answer some of the questions you have Ö itís not likely to be some huge answer as far as life and identity are concerned. That comes with a lot of time, questioning, and active discovery. .

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to echo what's been said, being what is socially seen as effeminate is not a symptom of anything but personality... however sometimes people seem to have a sixth sense about these things.

I would definitely say that being happy about who you are is also not connected with being able to attribute your shape, facial hair growth or personalty to a sex, you can do that without knowing... and you can do it if you're XY or XXY or something else.

But by all means, knowing something like that, especially if it means infertility, is something I fully understand that many people would want, especially if they already suspect it.

I'd also like to drop a link to an amazing article on the main site that I'm always referring back to on numerous gender issues. It's a fantastically clear explanation of things like sex, gender identity and Klinefelterís.
Boys will be boys, or not; straight talk about gender

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.