Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Transgender 'Tendencies'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transgender 'Tendencies'
CZeiss
Neophyte
Member # 33362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CZeiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visiting a Gender Identity Therapist Tuesday...as I have always felt the need to be female...for many reasons....Family aware of my problem but it's usually spoken about indirectly.... I don't claim to be completely female, nor is any birth female....I do occasionaly slip into 'Male role'....I suppose I've lived as a guy and have had to develop certain elements of a male persona..however it has been learned...It didn't come naturally to me...and I can't sustain it. Hate having to fulfil a male role and appearance at work...causes such huge conflict. I suppose I'm just here as I need somewhere to get it out...not necessarily advice...As a potential Trans I could face exclusion from many family events...would just like to hear from anyone who themselves or has friends/family who have experienced this.

Thanks Alan

--------------------
Karen

Posts: 4 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Mary-Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Alan,

You are surly not the only one going through this, my cousin has had these same thoughts sense a little boy and is now at the age of 26 getting operations to become a female, I wish you luck hun and I hope for the best! [Smile]

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

Posts: 44 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CZeiss
Neophyte
Member # 33362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CZeiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mary-Ann. Appreciate your words. I hope for the best also

--------------------
Karen

Posts: 4 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Mary-Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no problem [Smile]

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

Posts: 44 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CZeiss
Neophyte
Member # 33362

How do your family feel Mary Ann?

--------------------
Karen

Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan- (or is there a name you'd rather be called?)

I really like how you said you don't identify as 'completely female.' Do people ever use this against you to tell you your feelings are wrong? (It's happened to me.)

I'm a biological female, but I <i>am</i> a guy. I can't explain it.. and it makes it hard because not all my traits are stereotypically masculine, but even my more "femme" traits to me are guyish.

...hmm. I liked your post.

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmmydingdingdong
Neophyte
Member # 34295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmmydingdingdong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan-

One of my best friends is transgendered. She is anatomically a male, but she feels as though she is a female. She often tells me that sometimes she feels more masculine, and sometimes she feels more feminine. Some days she'll wear boys clothes, other days she'll wear girls clothes. Oftentimes I forget to call her a "her" and this does not offend her. Many people do not accept this fact that she feels this way, but she als has many people who support her. Her family is not always as supportive as she would like them to be, and they forced her to decide between going to college (them paying) or starting "treatments" to become more feminine. She chose college, but still plans to legally chang her name to a "girl" name.

She has told me that she has felt this way ever since she was younger. In many ways she is a girl, but sometimes she feels like a male, so she is not "completely female" as well. Being bisexual can also add complications. However, she is still an amazing person who I respect a great deal. I hope the best for her in life and her journey to possibly becoming more female, and I hope the same for you, Alan! Good luck on the road to self discovery -- don't let anyone get you down, change your beliefs, or make you feel less than you are.

--------------------
^_^ <3

Posts: 5 | From: US of A | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think trans or not, there are many of us for whom the adaptation of a certain gender role in work or other life is not something that comes naturally. Most of the gender roles that fly in organized society are very narrow and make for a pretty tight squeeze no matter whom the human being. Some are even so ridiculous that no "human" can squeeze into them at all!

It was pretty slickly recognized that being a female by birth does not automatically mean a complete gender centrality either. The connection between sex and gender is so mysterious and inconsistent. The only person who can know what is going on inside is you. I personally hover all over the place on the gender chart, but no matter where I happen to be, I always feel female, and there is no contradiction for me: I'm still "female" when my clothes and mannerisms and hell, even aura in a social situation is what would be considered "male".

As for the lack of family support: is there maybe one trusted family member whom you feel you could approach about this and speak directly without fear of persecution, or it spreading negatively to the rest of your family? If you foresee that these identity struggles are really going to cause conflict, it would be invaluable to have one stable base--someone who may perhaps even assist in a diplomatic role.

Best of luck.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CZeiss
Neophyte
Member # 33362

A belated thanks to all who replied..away for quite a while...so sorry..I relate to most of what you say..." " dindong...I see strong similarities between your friend and I..there are times when it feels ok to be male...depending on the situation..I tend to vary from situation to situation..that's what I mean by 'not totally female'..( I suppose everyone is a matrix really..some birth women have masculine traits...some birth men have typicaly feminine traits..and visa versa)and that has taken time to understand..slowly getting there...at the same time there is no doubt in my mind that I would prefer to be a woman...but in certain situation's it's more or less significant than others....perhaps the 'male binary role' is just too restrictive for me...perhaps if the 'rules' governing male condcut were more liberal then it would be less of an issue. But yes a lot of people..especially my policeman brother tell that these feelings/behaviour is wrong..fundamentally..I'm trying to talk to my mother..and she appears open..but -words don't come easy-

Have started seeing a Counsellor and sharing helps. Hopefully in time dust will settle.

Thanks to all
Alan
and have adopted the female name 'Karen' for certain forums..such as here!

--------------------
Karen

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suppose everyone is a matrix really..some birth women have masculine traits...some birth men have typicaly feminine traits..and visa versa
Well, only if you susbscibe to the idea that the whole concept of masculine/feminine is anything but really arbitrary, which is is pretty much everywhere, especially when you consider world history and how much variance there can be between cultures when it comes to definting what those traits even are.

Which, I recognize, only makes things more murky than clear, but because gender is a social construct, it's pretty murky by design.

I'm sorry you have people around you telling you the way you feel is intrinsically wrong: if it's any comfort, there are also plenty of people who would say the opposite. I'm glad, though, you've found a counselor who is of help to you.

(And if you want to adapt your signature to reflect the name you've chosen so you can feel free to ID as you'd like here, you can edit that via your profile, FYI.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.