Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Fiance hates my sexual preference...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fiance hates my sexual preference...
rebelkitten
Neophyte
Member # 33130

Icon 9 posted      Profile for rebelkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been with my fiance for a little over a year and a half, and I have known him for two and a half. One of the first things we really discussed, as friends, was that I am bisexual. He was fine with it then, and as we dated on and off for about a year. When we became an "official couple" he still seemed fine with it, until I made a comment about a really hot girl at the mall one day. He acted all weird. Later I asked what the problem was and he said that he wasn't okay with the fact that I am attracted to girls. I have had one real girlfriend, and several crushes, but nothing that he should be worried about. Most guys seem to find bi girls hot (I guess it is the whole threesome idea), but mine can't stand it. I think that he feels like it means extra competition for him, even though he has me and I would never cheat or leave him simply to be with a girl.
I know that if we were to break up I would probably never date another guy. He has been the one man who really means a lot to me, and I want him to understand that and and accept my sexuality. Any ideas?

Posts: 4 | From: Alabama | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quickie before I say anything else: the term "sexual preference" when meant to mean orientation stems out of homophobia -- it was a phrase used, and sometimes still used, to basically give the impression that those of us who are queer could just as easily choose to be straight. Sexual preferences, actually, are things like preferring one sexual position over another: sexual orientation is the term which refers to whom we are attracted in terms of sex or gender.

Maybe your fiance was okay with this in his idea of it, but the reality is sinking in. Or maybe he didn't think it'd mean something separate from him. How have your discussions about this gone since this event? Perhaps have you tried explaining to him that you have no expectation he isn't attracted to other women, even though you're the woman he chooses to be with now?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is he used to hearing you make similar comments about hot people in general? 'cause if he's not...well, you know. issues could be getting confused, here. maybe just a little.
Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rebelkitten
Neophyte
Member # 33130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rebelkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the preference thing. I didn't realize that it was taken like that at all! I see where that comes from though, I guess how I meant it was I am bi, but if it really came down to it I would rather be with a girl. I do love my fiance but if he and I ever split, there would never be another man in my life.
He really did change over the first year that I knew him and that is partially why I grew to love him so much. We have talked about it a lot, and his views have just changed (he said he liked it only for the sexual benefits he could get out of it, and he realized that isn't how he wanted to act).
The fact that I am more attracted to girls normally makes him feel threatened. He is just the only guy who I have ever really felt this way about and he seems to think I will change my mind (about him).
Thanks for clarifying what sexual preference really means!

Posts: 4 | From: Alabama | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
out cated
Neophyte
Member # 33334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for out cated     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think plain milyeh
but does he ever talk about girls around you like do you walk out of the moives and say that katie was hot or would he never do that cause those types of guy can get really hurt when it comes to that and more importantly if he can't get that you love him then that is his problem

--------------------
happy is orange juice

Posts: 9 | From: surrey bc | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
out cated
Neophyte
Member # 33334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for out cated     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just thought that if you haven't said any thing like that and plain milyeh
is right ( and i think so) then you have some self controll

--------------------
happy is orange juice

Posts: 9 | From: surrey bc | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.