Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Does anyone know where i can read transition stories?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone know where i can read transition stories?
thesmall001
Neophyte
Member # 28305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thesmall001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to read transition storys because i find them genuinly interesting and enjoy a good read regardless of what it's about.

I've read the amazing story "Mom i need to be a girl" but the only other one i've read was quite disturbing. (Lots of child molestation etc.)

So if anyone has a story or knows where i can read one (or many) please share.

*edit*

Thanks for all the stories - sorry i haven't replied - i've read most of them and i've passed them on to my friend who's been having some issues.

Thanks, Thesmall001

[ 12-15-2006, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: thesmall001 ]

Posts: 22 | From: Kent, England - South East of London. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I can't think of any stories off the top of my head, but I'll ask a friend who did a lot of research on transgender issues a few years back for suggestions. (This might take a few days, because I'm asking via email.)

I heard a talk by Mara Kiesling, Executive Director of the Washington, DC-based National Center for Transgender Equality, about her personal experiences as a transgender woman, including going through the MtF process. (I'm not one with correct phrasing, so please bear with me there. [Smile] )

I'm sure there are groups in the UK that could lead you in the direction of some stories. The NCTE is more of a political lobbying group, but I'm sure they'd be glad to suggest material if you dropped them an email. Here's their website: http://www.nctequality.org/

And I'll get back to you in a bit after I check with my friend.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back already, because I think I found exactly what you're looking for. I discovered the website of Lynn Conway a few years ago. She shares her story as well as collects others'.

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/LynnsStory.html
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/RetrospectiveT.html
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TSsuccesses/TSsuccesses.html

Please let me know if this is ok, or if I should keep looking for you!

As an aside, have you read this thread yet? I've found it to be a very interesting discusssion. http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000188

[ 08-23-2006, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PandorasBox
Neophyte
Member # 30646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PandorasBox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're looking for fiction stories, there's two I know of. One is a book called "Luna: A Novel" by Julie Ann Peters. It deals more with the relationships and acceptance, but you might like it. The other is a webcomic called Venus Envy. Long-running, and very good.

Non-fiction wise, the only one I've actually read is "She's Not There" by Jennifer Finney Boylan. Good read. There's also "Gender Outlaws" by Kate Bornstein, but I haven't read it myself.

--------------------
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 5 | From: Lubbock, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second "She's Not There". It was awesome. Also the only one I've read.
Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the work of Calpernia Adams and Andrea James (two really incredible people: what Calpernia has gotten through is just awe-inspiring) may also be of interest.

You can find out about both of them right here: http://www.deepstealth.com/.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.