Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Discovery Channel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discovery Channel
Monotonous
Activist
Member # 29530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monotonous         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I love the Discovery Channel, a lot, but it lost a few points on the Chi-o-Meter when I saw this special they had on sex two days ago.

The whole thing was basically talking about how attraction, love, and sex came to be as it is today. It also asserted the "fact" that all attraction, love, and sex comes from science and biology and evolution.

For example, "Women are naturally more picky than men in choosing their partners because they only produce one precious egg a month, then go through 9 months of carrying the baby and the pain of labor, which would make them choose more carefully in who they want to fertilize their eggs."

"Men produce millions of sperm every day, and their natural instinct is to spread their DNA as much as they can to pass on their genes. This is why most men are a little more 'eager' for procreating."

I'm sorry, but aren't they making HUGE generalizations here? It actually made me mad, because it makes it seem like men "naturally" want to impregnate everyone, and that's why they're all so horny.

Also, it's "natural" to like big breasts because they are filled with milk to feed a child. How does this make sense? Don't all breasts of all sizes produce milk of the same amount?

It also mentioned that women like bigger penises more because their length gives them a better chance of getting pregnant, by getting sperm farther up. From what I've read on here, this sounds like BS to me.

The whole program actually sounded like a bunch of BS to me. We love just to have sex? Sorry. Not me.

What do you think? Did any of you see this as well and have something to say?

Posts: 59 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely love some of the Disovery Channel's programming. In particular, a program called Mythbusters, in which they bust or prove a bunch of urban legends.

It sounds like the Discovery Channel may need to throw some of their own programming over to Mythbusters, too.

I saw part of the program you're talking about, and stopped watching within about five minutes my eyes were so strained from rolling. [Razz]

Other than a couple particular programs, in general I usually recomend that anyone take the Discover Channel's programming with a HUGE grain of salt, because they have a very bad habit of writing off generalization and theory as scientific fact when it's just NOT.

And seriously, "It also mentioned that women like bigger penises more because their length gives them a better chance of getting pregnant, by getting sperm farther up."

Excuse me? Pardon as a I laugh out loud. And bigger breats producing more milk? Smaller breasts do not smaller milk glands make.

I DO believe that there is some VERY basic evoluntionary rooting in sexual attraction, but especially in this day and age SO much more of it is based on personal and much more complicated factors that CAN'T be simply explained by that's just a load of bull.

I've seen another couple programs about sex and attraction on Discovery Health that have at LEAST been a bit more scientific and less generalized (studies some universities were doing based on the brain's response to sexual/visual stimuli), but again, BIG BIG grain of salt.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I have two things to say about the Discovery Channel.
1) You know in Friends when Monica gets stung by a jellyfish, and she saw on the Discovery Channel that the ammonia in urine neutralizes jellyfish stings so she gets Chandler to pee on her - would that work?
2) That mythbusters program is great - although I read the book of it before it came out on TV so I already know how some of them turn out. But the one about running rather than walking in the rain making you get wetter really surprised me. What does anyone else think?

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allybobally
Neophyte
Member # 28704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allybobally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never really watched mythbusters, but I am a lifeguard. One of the things they told us in my training class was that ammonia does neutralize jellyfish stings, and as a last resort, you could use urine. So I guess Friends was right.

--------------------
Run Run Run!!
as fast as you can run or you can walk
Run Run Run!!
but i said that was yours

Posts: 6 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mythbusters is a fun program, though a lot of the time their are gaps in their scientific method. [Wink]

As for the Discovery Channel sex thing-- sounds like they were reducing sex to heterosexual intercourse. In terms of intercourse, it does make sense, if you don't have access to birth control, for any woman to be careful about her partners-- after all, nine months of pregnancy, which is life threatening in and of itself, is not something that you want to take on lightly. However, translating this into a cultural concept such as being "picky" is, as you said, a gross generalisation. It in no way means that women will be any less sexual than men; it means that in practical terms it makes sense for a fertile woman without access to birth control to avoid one particular type of sexual activity with a male partner. Culturally, the terms "sex" and "intercourse" are conflated. (Hehe, I remember one of my first posts on one of Mis Scarlet's adult boards, over six years ago, I made this very mistake-- her kind correction has stuck with me).

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Discovery Channel, but I really think they should do more animal based programs. Because that is what this sounds like.

In the wild, most animals species DO do many of things they talked about. Females ARE pickier about their mates, because they want to guarantee that their genes will make it to the next generation, so they are going to want to get the strongest match possible.

Males also want to assure that their genes will survive another generation. Which is why you find males with harems of females. They want to mate with as many females as possible in order to guarantee that at least one will produce their offspring.

But as for the rest of it, sounds like a bad attempt to increase their ratings [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great! Now I know what to do if I do get stung. I just hope Joey's around with his giant hole in the sand to use for privacy. [Wink]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.