Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Religion and Gender confusement?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Religion and Gender confusement?
Biguy(formerly AmberTS)
Neophyte
Member # 29192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biguy(formerly AmberTS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is being an alternative sexuality/being transgender really against religion. If it is anything at all, isn't it another sin, like lying about your report card, escept you just can't control it. Is it really that bad? I honestly think that <insert higher being/beings, N/A for atheists> really cares more about our well-being than our sexuality, like any other good parent.

--------------------
Used to think I was transsexual, after further consideration, a feminine bisexual male =P

Posts: 25 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, there are SO many world religions, and so many different approaches to sexuality and gender in those various religions (and many of those religions don't even have the concept of "sin," period), that that's not a question anyone is going to be able to answer so simply or patly.

But there are a good deal of existing discussions about sexuality and various religions here at the boards already, so if you use the search function for "religion" you should be able to easily pull up a whole batch and pop into those discussions, per whatever religion you're specifically thinking of in this regard.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biguy(formerly AmberTS)
Neophyte
Member # 29192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biguy(formerly AmberTS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, BTW sorry for posting so much, I just found the site, and think it's great, I like being open and out there.
Posts: 25 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a problem, and we're glad to be a haven. [Smile]

Just be sure to, per the user registration, search the boards first for existing topics before starting new ones. makes things easier to manage for everyone.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add to this: there are some religions, including some Native American traditions, that actually have specific spiritual roles for people who would be considered trans - do a Google search on "berdache", for example.

And most religions have a wide range of interpretations.

For example, if you take Christianity as an example, there are plenty of people who see gay, lesbian, bi and trans sexuality and identity as part of the richness of God's creation, something to be celebrated, not "wrong" or "sinful" in any way.

Here's a resource specifically for transgender Christians:

http://www.angelfire.com/on/otherwise/transfaith.html

Let me know if you have another religion in mind, and I'll look for relevant resources [Smile] .

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.