Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Manliness? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Manliness?
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that for people who put importance on their gender, it's very good to have a re-affirming message on that importance.

Why so? It's not like society really has a shortage of messages saying that gender is very, very important.

And do you think that people who don't find their gender important should also get messages re-affirming our sense of identity?

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aie!

Forgot two: "What Makes a Man" an anthology of 20 different writers (of all genders), edited by Rebecca Walker, and "Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man" by Susan Faludi.

[ 05-14-2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the list! I just plugged them into the search engine of my University library and we seem to have both the books by Susan Faludi that you listed, so I'm gonna go pick them up tomorrow.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biguy(formerly AmberTS)
Neophyte
Member # 29192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biguy(formerly AmberTS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"there are relatively few things that most men will have to do to their bodies to be considered masculine."

Sorry, but as a physical male, wrong. A man has to be muscular, Wlak manly, have a deep voice, and be hairy. A man has to be strong and have masculine characteristics. I know all of this, my friends all think of me as feminine male, not in a ts way(Damn [Razz] !), but in a "geek" way.

--------------------
Used to think I was transsexual, after further consideration, a feminine bisexual male =P

Posts: 25 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Culturally, THAT is incorrect. What a small circle of friends think does not make a global issue so.

Asian men, for instance, are rarely hairy, and yet, their masculinity, culturally, is not threatened by this. Asian women, on the other hand, who were prostitutes during world war II and vietnam, started the entire trend of breast implants because their femininity to their global male clients, was not recognized because they did not meet the widest, most pervasive (white) male standards of beauty. But that's a sideline.

And you missed the point, ultimately. In saying what men will have to "do" in her comment, she was talking about the fact that often attributes culturally attributed to "men" do not involve spending ungodly dollars on clothing, the cosmetics industry, dieting companies, hair styling, shoes, the works. Most of the cultural and global attributes considered "manly" ARE things which are norms and averages, by nature alone (men DO generally have more body hair than their female counterparts, biologically, men DO often have thicker musculature, male voices are, on average, often deeper than female voices, even if that isn't the case in my house), among most males -- on the other hand, most of the attributes fixed to women are NOT in line with how MOST women wake up in the morning, without costuming themselves to fit an ideal that is more often than not, very divorced from their natural appearance.

[ 06-04-2006, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biguy(formerly AmberTS)
Neophyte
Member # 29192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biguy(formerly AmberTS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, I guess, just growing up having been picked on for not being the most physically fit or strongest male, I just wanted to share my side of the story.

--------------------
Used to think I was transsexual, after further consideration, a feminine bisexual male =P

Posts: 25 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.