Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Mix and Match

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mix and Match
shackles
Neophyte
Member # 20693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shackles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article got me curious. http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBKGL34AEE.html
my biological gender is female. there are days when I wake up and feel male, which seems more natural to me then female. and there are days when I feel distinctly female. I know a little about Gender Identity disorder and it doesn't seem to match that. It's more of a curiousity then anything else. I was just curious if anybody else feels like this, and if so do you do antying about/with it?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizenny
Activist
Member # 22661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get those feelings all the time. Do I do anything about it? Not really. The nearest thing to me really doing anything about this would be the lack of skirts or dresses in my closet. Jeans of whatever kind does it for me should I start feeling a bit less feminine in the middle of the day.

I remember having my friends do a makeover on me in 11th grade complete with hair, makeup and miniskirt. It got a little awkward toward the end of the day when I became my more guy-ish self but only because people were beginning to stare. The style and the mannerisms couldn't have clashed more that day but in itself it wasn't uncomfortable. The only reason I wear clothes in the first place is because it's the law but maybe my inner male is just comfortable in drag

------------------
You catch more flies with manure than you do with honey.

Posts: 110 | From: Worcester MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a tricky thing, just food for thought.

How do we KNOW what it is to "feel male" or "feel female," especially when gender, not sex, is a construct and feintions are so arbitrary? Really, we don't: we can't.

It's helpful to realize that gender really, truly isn't binary (heck, biological sex even isn't). So, very often, the gender identity of any of us is going to be at least somewhat fluid, likely not match very strict binaries, and isn't anything close to as simple as what gendered (by culture or individuals, which is already arbitrary) clothing we wear, how we difne male or female, or what we're told it is to "feel" like either.

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.