Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » masterbating... right or wrong??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: masterbating... right or wrong???
King
Neophyte
Member # 21722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well the whole thing is complicated. i mean i talked to some girls at my school who are my friends and they say that they dont masterbate, but almost every gut i know does...( what a way to make us guys feel dirty and bad!!!). so is masterbating wrong and dirty?

Posts: 34 | From: Hamilton | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope .

Not wrong, not dirty, and most people do it. Check out these articles:
Jerking Off
Is Masturbation Okay? (Yep)

However, if someone says that they don't masturbate, it doesn't mean that they're engaged in a Wicked Plot to make all guys feel dirty.

More likely, it's because either a) they actually don't masturbate, or b) they do, but don't feel comfortable discussing it in school.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrAzY_KaRl
Neophyte
Member # 21546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrAzY_KaRl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some nerdy facts: 2/3rds of Adult females say they have masturbated at some point in their lives, and 88% of teenage boys say they masturbate. Happy ... Australia day! for yesterday.. whatever ill shut up now

------------------
"Quickly we have to get to those oilfields.. I mean Terrorists!"

Posts: 29 | From: Geelong, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooooh!!!
Neophyte
Member # 27052

Icon 10 posted      Profile for wooooh!!!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not dirty at all. Its completely natural and the majority of people do it regularely or have done it at some point in their lives. But a lot of people dont really feel comfortable talking about it. Dont be ashamed if you do it. Theres nothing wrong with it :-)
Posts: 19 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HH_demiurge
Neophyte
Member # 27196

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HH_demiurge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masturbation is indeed somewhat more common in males than females, although the statistics Google can turn up for me vary enormously. At any rate, it's quite common, and no reputable professional would ever suggest that it poses a health risk (unless you're doing someting strange I guess).

"Dirty" is subjective. There are many different criteria for "dirty." I personally find nothing wrong with masturbation, but there are those who do. Then again, there are those who find women's bare ankles to be offensive, so I don't give that sort of puritanical outlook much thought.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see it as dirty. However, that's just my opinion. Everyone does it eventually, and it is harmless, so what's the problem?

It's natural. No one should feel ashamed to say "I masturbate" when it's something that's very common with teens and adults (as well as young children). I think that masturbation is a great way for a person to get to know themselves sexually.

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 10 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masterbation is not dirty. It's a normal sexual activity to do alone or with someone. It's okay to know that people have done it really young. Masterbation helps you know your body better and that you'd be able to know your own turn on/offs. You would be able to share that with your partner, should you two get intimate.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sayna
Neophyte
Member # 28026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sayna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Nolastname:
well the whole thing is complicated. i mean i talked to some girls at my school who are my friends and they say that they dont masterbate, but almost every gut i know does...( what a way to make us guys feel dirty and bad!!!). so is masterbating wrong and dirty?

Just wondering.... What does the fact that the girls you know don't and the guys you know do have to do with it being dirty?
Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Neophyte
Member # 28035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean. I've masturbated for years now and sometimes, I still get this little voice in the back of my head that says something's wrong (although I can never pinpoint it). I think that partly, masturbation is taboo because it's "not the real thing". But as Carol Queen said, you ARE the real thing. And that's where perspective comes in.
Posts: 6 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marquis_de_Carabas
Neophyte
Member # 28410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marquis_de_Carabas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But as Carol Queen said, you ARE the real thing. And that's where perspective comes in."

Or as Woody Allen said, "dont knock masturbation, it's sex with someone you love"..

Same perspective..well, actually, i just like the quote..

--------------------
How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*meg*
Neophyte
Member # 28409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *meg*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masturbation is not dirty or wrong at all, it is natural and a part of life. Dont feel ashamed about it!
Posts: 29 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kornyguy
Neophyte
Member # 28485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kornyguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea its not dirty! but it can become a bad habit, or an addiction i think
Posts: 22 | From: los angeles | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, masturbation cannot become an addiction. There is nothing, whatsoever, addictive about masturbation. It CAN become a problem if you're masturbating so often that it keeps you from doing other things (ie, going to school, getting school work done, seeing friends, etc.) but that's more of an issue with self control, NOT with masturbation being addictive itself.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dailicious, I'm swaying kind of on the other side of that. An addiction pretty much IS a loss of self control--your "self" control not being able to override the "other" control. Since masturbation DOES produce a very distinct release of chemicals in the brain, it makes sense that masturbation, like cutting or alcohol or sorrow or drugs or tattoos, can became an addiction: ie, it becoming too difficult to stop or slow down even when you've made a conscious decision to do so. If masturbation IS interfering with school/work/responsibilities, what else would you call that besides an addiction? Unlike most controlling substances or masochistic behaviors, masturbation isn't inherently BAD for you, but then neither is food, unless indulged in excessively, and people DO certainly become "addicted" to food to such a point that they are literally harming themselves, even though they do not like what they are doing to themselves. Please do counter me on this if I'm in error, but that's how I see it.
Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, those chemicals are NOT distinct: a good workout, for instance, would produce the very same ones. They're not foreign to the body, either: the crop up in all sorts of daily life scenarios which are not uniquely sexual or masturbatory.

Addiction, by defintion and in practice, pretty specifically refers to a chemical addiction: masturbation/sex really can't be an addiction for those reasons, but it CAN become an obsession or compulsion, because those things are about the behaviour, not something chemical.

(Which is also why compulsive eaters, which you mentioned, are called just that. There are, incidentally, some foods which ARE, can be, or may be chemically addictive, but that'd be considered something entriely different than compulsive eating.)

[ 04-21-2006, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick
Neophyte
Member # 36513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is wrong. If your a Christian you shouldn't do it. In the Lord's eyes if you think about doing anything, then you have done it. Therefore what are you thinking about when you masterbate? Yep, I'm sure we all know. It is sexually immoral. It is pre-marital sex(which is wrong) . God created sex don't you think he would know when you would experience it the best and to its best abilities? And that is in a marriage. Not by yourself, and not in a boyfriend-girlfriend situation. My tip to people that haven't tried it yet is DO NOT TRY IT. It becomes an obsession. And if you don't do it then you don't realize what your missing. [Big Grin] -Mick
Posts: 4 | From: Iowa, USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scarleteen is a pro-choice, inclusive, all-encompassing space in which visitors are given accurate information in order to help them form their own opinions based on their values. Please post with respect to the fact that not everybody has the same values as you.

In addition, there's no evidence that masturbation is addictive or habit forming. It's been several years since it was toted by the US surgeon general as a healthy, safe, normal sexual activity, and even then, was long overdue.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick
Neophyte
Member # 36513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...Then my post is for those whom strive for Jesus. My posts will be based upon the Bible and God's Word for Christians teens that want the answer that the Lord says.
Posts: 4 | From: Iowa, USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mick, Scarleteen is a comprehensive sexuality education site, based on medically accurate information. This is also an inclusive site, so posts which only include those of one religion or denomination, or which state things which are not medically inaccurate just aren't appropriate here.

(Too, not all Christians share the same views on masturbation, particularly since the Bible doesn't actually even mention it expressly. It's alluded to in Onan, but even that is about seminal fluids, rather than masturbation, and also is only about males. Even if this were a site for Christians only, stating a personal belief or personal interpretation to be the word of G_d is mighty precarious, unless you happen to have his cell number to be able to verify that with him yourself.)

So, if you want to post here, you're going to have to do so within our guidelines. If you don't want to do that, that's fine, but you'll have to find somewhere else to post.

[ 01-15-2008, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a religious person (I'm not of the Christian denomination) but I'm religious. I know that it's against the laws of my religion to masturbate (and I personally don't but that's simply because I prefer having a connection to my partner-- and it's also not openly prohibited in my religion for women to masturbate, it's just an inference people make), but there are also many other things that are against my religion, and many other people's religions that nobody pays attention to. For instance, people gossip... And I think the world would be a lot better if people stopped gossiping, rather than if people stopped masturbating.
Certain things, for instance, things having to do with sex, are put on this pedestal when it comes to religion, so much so that we stop paying attention to the things that could really change the world for the better, with or without religion.

And just as an aside, masturbation is not prohibited because we should wait for the pleasure of sex at g-ds will...(Even in the christian religion) It is prohibited because of an entirely different reason. So if you want to say that g-d should determine when you're ready for pleasure,just know that that is not the reason it is prohibited in the bible.

Now that I finished this-- lemme just put it out there--- I don't think this particular part of the forum is a place for a religious debate, or for chatising people with valid questions.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! Sorry Heather, I totally didn't realize that you had responded to that--- THANK GOD YOU DID!
Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Thanking me is probably more accurate. [Smile]

All the same, by all means, with posts like these that are opinion-based, there's no need to worry about also adding yours, even if it's in line with someone else's.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the whole "masturbation is a sin and is against God's will" logic has been used as a justification for marital rape--I know firsthand of one such case, because I sat by the victim's side as she filed her report. It was a really distressing situation, and reading this post brought up the memory of it. Personally, I think harming another person, whether through sex or anything else, is just inexcusable.
Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thismoment
Activist
Member # 36078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thismoment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that most of my female friends do - or at least have tried - masturbating. Some, however, have said that they want to 'save' themselves (their words) for marriage. They're not religious, so I'm guessing that someone somewhere has told them that masturbation is wrong...

Oh, and as for my male friends: all, that I know of, do masturbate.

Anyway, masturbating isn't wrong. If you want to, and it is not causing anyone else any distress or pain (which I don't see how it would, unless you did it in public, or something) and it feels good, why not? It's your body, enjoy it! [Smile]

Posts: 79 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick
Neophyte
Member # 36513

I apologize for my posts. You may delete them if you want. Actually I recommend that you do because now I'm rather embarrassed [Frown] Once again I apologize for posting my opinion based on my religion. It's wrong. I'll only post this onto sites that allow and or promote this kind of posts. Thank-you for these responses guys. It has changed my views on over-looking others views and feelings first. [Smile]
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I recommend that you do because now I'm rather embarrassed

That won't be necessary! You're perfectly entitled to post your feelings and personal choices as they apply to you. The only reason there was a little bit of a problem was because you were posting in a way that imposed your view on everybody. A more effective way to get across your view might be something like:

"I don't masturbate because I believe it's wrong in the eyes of God, and I'm highly religious. I feel ___ about this choice, and hope others might consider it as well."

See how that allows you to voice your opinion, give your own experience and reasons, while respecting the opinions and values of others?

Thank you for the apology, and be assured there's no hard feelings on our end, nor a need to be embarrassed on yours! Please let us know if you need additional pointers when it comes to posting in a way that'll lead to good discussions here, if you choose to stick around after all. :)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dracon
Neophyte
Member # 36684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plz awnser my question.

is it wrong to masterbate, because I have masterbated for 2-3 years and I need to know if it is bad to masterbate, or not

Posts: 15 | From: new mexico | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dracon
Neophyte
Member # 36684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plz awnser my question.

is it wrong to masterbate, because I have masterbated for 2-3 years and I need to know if it is bad to masterbate, or not, so plz tell me, I need to know. will it affect you physically? will it hurt you in the future?

p.s I am not a christan,I belive in god and jesus,does he think it is wrong of any sort, or is it just nature

Please reply
Thank you
Dracon

Posts: 15 | From: new mexico | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dracon, just read the links in Heather's response to King's question (it's the second post, at the top of the page). They should answer any and all questions [Smile]

--------------------
“I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.” --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Oops, sorry, it won't answer your question on Jesus' opinion. Unless you know his email, I don't think there's a right answer for that. I would just read through this thread and then make your own decision.

--------------------

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for whether or not masturbation is permitted in your religion, the best people to ask about that are your religious leaders (priest, pastor, whichever). Scarleteen does not have a religious affiliation, so we're really not the most appropriate place to search for those answers.

(That said, we welcome users of any and all religions, so let's try not to put down what people believe, okay?)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dracon
Neophyte
Member # 36684

is it wrong to masterbate while looking at pics?
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Unless you are hurting yourself in any way, be it physically or emotionally, masturbation isn't wrong. [Smile]

You might find this useful and/or interesting:

Looking, Lusting and Learning: A Straightforward Look at Pornography

--------------------

Dracon
Neophyte
Member # 36684

what do you mean physically or emotionally?
Dracon
Neophyte
Member # 36684

what do you mean by hurt yourself in a way? And what do you mean by physically or emotionally?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.