Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Feeling like the opposite gender?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling like the opposite gender?
seventh_trilogy
Neophyte
Member # 9399

Icon 5 posted      Profile for seventh_trilogy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine recently expressed a desire to wear women's clothes; of course, I let him borrow some stuff. He feels really scared, and that what he's doing is wrong. I told him that it was fine, most people probably feel that way. I know that I did/do: when I was 5 or 6, I thought it was so cool that boys got to go pee standing up. For about a week I tried to do it that way, until I figured that I just wasn't built that way.
Has anyone else ever felt like they wanted to do things only the opposite gender is allowed to do? Are people who do this "bad", "gay" or "wrong"?

~Maddy

Posts: 14 | From: Homewood, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try and clear things up.

1) gender identity and sexual orientation aren't at all causal. we can't say gender and orientation aren't related, because if there was no gender, the whole idea of sexual orientation would have no basis. Without gender, people can't have gender attraction. But gender IDENTITY, or discomfort with one's gender isn't related to sexual orientation. Therefore, questioning or exploring gender, feeling comfort or discomfort is not "gay."

2) Most men who want to cross-dress are, in fact, heterosexual. The term for that is "transvestism," and if it is ONLY about clothes, or is for sexual gratification or performance, that's a very different thing than say, transgender.

3) Discomfort with gender roles, identity or norms is called "gender dysphoria." Just about everyone has some at some point, and some people -- transgendered or transsexual people -- have it full-time.

3) Sex and gender are different things. When you talk about wanting to be able to urinate in a given way because of phsyiology, that's actually about biological sex, not gender. Same would go with a biological man wishing he could become pregnant. An example of wanting to be able to do something the opposite *gender* can would be, say, a woman wishing she could go into a bar full of men without a fear of being sexually assaulted or harassed, or a men wishing he could get some real cultural status as a nurturing parent.

Posts: 68211 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, women can urinate standing up, there is a trick to it and it's not as easy (you can get some nasty infections if you don't watch yourself).

A lot of people don't feel too comfortable falling into the whole stereotypical sex role thing. I remember dressing in boy's clothes and acting a lot like one, but then I would go out in a dress the next day.I got a lot of weird stares, and my grandmother used to pressure me a lot about it. "Girls don't clim b trees and boys don't cry". Sound familiar? Normally, tomboys don't get as much stick for being masculine as boys get for being feminine because femininity is often seen as a weakness amongst men, and they see someone feminine as being gay, and many people still think homosexuality is wrong, so therefore to them crossdressing is wrong. You can do quite a lot for your friend, you took the step to find out what to do to help him, and you can take him through it and make him realise that what he's doing is perfectly okay.

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.