Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Sex change for 13 year old Alex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex change for 13 year old Alex
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3624891.stm

Apparently, a 13 year old biological girl will be allowed to begin the sex change process with reversible hormone treatments. His/Her legal gardian is a department of government, not a relative. Check out the article.

I find this to be very interesting, and I can't begin to imagine the sort of fall out a ruling like this would have in the US.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how the ruling would affect anything in the US.

I don't think this is the smartest idea. There are a lot of issues here- and this kid's mental state seems off. I have a good girl friend of mine who confided in me long ago that when she was around that age (12 or 13) she not only wanted to be a boy, she absolutely believed she was a boy, just parts hadn't grown in yet. She was attracted to girls, dressed in boys' clothes...

We're both almost 20 now and she's still a girl, and pretty happy being a girl. Who knows, maybe she could have been happy if she would have done what this "Alex" kid is doing now, but it wouldnt hurt to wait a while, and work out some other issues (you know, like not wearing diapers to school because you don't want to use the ladies' room?) before they start pumping her up with hormones.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
you know, like not wearing diapers to school because you don't want to use the ladies' room?

But there's another way of thinking about it: how humiliated would the average 13-year-old boy feel if he was told he had to use the girls' toilet at school?

If Alex identifies as a boy, that's how he's going to feel about it.

There are aspects of this that concern me, though, like the fact that it seems to have been the father's idea to bring Alex up as a boy, not Alex's own idea.

But if Alex is genuinely transexual, I can't see how it's going to help anyone to force him to go through female puberty.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't too much known about Alex's father: he died when Alex was six, and Alex only came to Australia when he was ten. It's possible that Alex's father wanted a son, and therefore told Alex he was male, but it's also possible that he was responding to Alex's early assertation that he was male. In either case though, I think it's more important to focus on the present- we can learn nothing new about Alex's father now, but we can do what's best for Alex.

Many people feel concerned that Alex might regret identifying as a boy later in life, but I really do no see what the alternative would be, aside from becoming more progessive about unisex toilets, and unisex uniforms for schools, thus making gender identification less of an issue. Unfortunately, a lot of people believe that Alex should conform to his biological sex simply due to their religious convictions which state that sex and gender must always correlate.

Another concern that this has raised is why does Alex find the prospect of being female so hateful? What is it that society says about the female gender that causes being one to be a cause for suicidal thoughts?

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is it that society says about the female gender that causes being one to be a cause for suicidal thoughts?

I don't think anyone's suggested that it is.

MTF transexuals experience the same sort of emotional distress if they're required to live as male.

All the evidence on the subject seems to indicate is that what's stressful is the mis-match between someone's personal sense of their gender identity and what other people expect of them.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate that Alex is being allowed to do what he wants, and I feel that it's being handled in a responsible way. ie only reversible treatments until he is 16. Those three years between 13 and 16 are arguably the longest in the teenage life, and he will be able to see how well life as a male, without certain female traits, works for him. But still have the chance to change his mind if he should find that he likes boys and wants to have children or something.

13 would be too young to allow Alex to do anything irreversible, but 16 is more acceptable. And presumably, he won't be forced into the irreversible treatments if he has any doubt.

And in a way, I sort of admire Alex for all of this. I can't begin to think how difficult his personal life could be because of all of this, and the way that schoolmates might react to all of this. He has a lot of courage, and a lot of self assurance to be proceeding with all of this.

------------------

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

quote:
But still have the chance to change his mind if he should find that he likes boys and wants to have children or something.

Um, neither of those things necessarily has anything to do with his gender identity.

Plenty of boys (FTM boys included) like boys and/or want to have children .

froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

*blushes*

I should know better.

I meant that he has the chance to identify again as a female without having to deal with irreversibly male characteristics. Or Alex has the chance to live between genders if he so desires and never go through with other portions of the therapy.

------------------

cassika
Neophyte
Member # 17767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassika     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Im from Australia and this girl that wants a sex change is from Australia aswell.
I was watching the new's about a week ago and the subject of this girl came up I was shocked and abit disturbed with her choice.
If you dont believe in god oh well but god made us to be who we are not to go have sex changes just because you can I think that we should all stay the same sex because thats what were meant to be.
But it's her/his choice to change her gender but In this case I would think the Australian court system should be a little more stricked and say no.
We are what we are & we should stay that way.Thankyou From Cassie XoXoXoXo

------------------
cassa

Posts: 21 | From: Canberra | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

quote:
god made us to be who we are not to go have sex changes just because you can

That may be your personal belief, but not everyone who believes in a God thinks that.

After all, we do regularly alter the appearance of our bodies in all sorts of "unnatural" ways - even wearing clothes isn't "natural".

And of course plenty of people don't believe in any god at all.

quote:
In this case I would think the Australian court system should be a little more stricked and say no.

It's not the Australian court system's job to push one set of religious beliefs on people, though.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.