Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » why are we treated differnetly?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why are we treated differnetly?
neon girl
Neophyte
Member # 15536

Icon 8 posted      Profile for neon girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why are girls always treated like pupies? we can do just about anything that boys can do! but what really gets me is that you allow girls to play on the football team, and to wrestle, but when they do bad...you just make fun of them! Yet when guys screw up....they just had a bad day...whatever!

------------------
~NeOn~

Posts: 6 | From: provo | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What specifically are you talking about? Complaints about certain situations can lead to interesting conversations, but generalised rants don't tend to lead to anything productive.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KCallahan
Activist
Member # 15888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCallahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why aren't boys allowed to cry? Why can't boys wear skirts? Why can't boys like pink? Why can't... You get my point. It's a good question, and one I'm fairly certain I don't have the answers to. Still, this cuts both ways. I think it's because some overall 'rules' must be imposed for the healthy functioning of society. If everything was arbitrary, society would fall apart. Not all of these rules are smart or desirable, and can and should be changed. However, it is our need to form groups that allows for such 'objective rules' to exist. I have my own personal ideas on what it means to be a girl, and it has nothing to do with outward things. Anyone who says that you can't do something because of your gender and/or sex (and I make that clear distinction) is simply trying to protect the system and society. They shouldn't do it, and you need to show them that society is not going to fall apart as soon as you do something 'not-girly'. Just because you like sports or wrestling or cars (love cars, I love working on them) or anything else, it doesn't mean you're any less of a girl. Nor is a boy any less a boy if he likes what is typically thought of as for girls. At least that's my take...
Posts: 50 | From: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KCallahan:
I think it's because some overall 'rules' must be imposed for the healthy functioning of society. If everything was arbitrary, society would fall apart.

Actually, if you look at some different societies, (including non-patriarchal ones) the 'rules' concerning gender appropriate behaviour are reversed or almost non-existant. Let's not assume that our (questionable) 'rules' are universal or are the basis of a successful society.

*badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think it's because some overall 'rules' must be imposed for the healthy functioning of society. If everything was arbitrary, society would fall apart.

But as you say yourself, gender "rules" don't seem to come into that category. If someone breaks the rules about what is deemed appropriate for their sex or gender, society doesn't in fact fall apart.

So, for me, the interesting question is why people so often seem to react as if gender rules do fall into that category, as if society is threatened by breaking them.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KCallahan
Activist
Member # 15888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCallahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my point here was that some while some 'rules' have been agreed upon, not all of them need continue to be followed. I agree, that gender rules are such that I think society has gone too far to compartmentalize and control. However, there are definitely rules that a society needs in order to survive. "Murder is wrong". I think the issue is, once you start to question the system, "Why is it okay for girls to be this way and not this way?" the fear, even if it's not expressed on an individual level is "well, then if gender roles are entirely arbitrary, what else about our society is? Is murder NOT wrong?" Society must obey a set a rules, and I think, even if we all agree that gender rules do NOT fall into that category, that there certainly are rules do that.

[This message has been edited by KCallahan (edited 12-13-2003).]

Posts: 50 | From: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nicegirl101
Neophyte
Member # 15912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nicegirl101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[/B][/QUOTE]
I think that in the old day. girl naver where.told to do much.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.