Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Spanish town bans men from bars on Thursdays

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spanish town bans men from bars on Thursdays
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of relates to the old Girls Ski Free topic, but it's different enough that I thought I'd give it its own space.

Apparently, the mayor of a small Spanish town - Torredonjimeno - has banned men from the town's bars every Thursday night. Men who break the bylaw will be fined, with all of the money from the fines going to local groups that deal with domestic violence and sexual equality.

He says he wants his town to be ahead of the curve, when it comes to sexual equality. "We have to make men aware of the responsibilities they have in the home. "They don't just have a right to go out and drink beer with their friends, they also have to be a house-husband," said the mayor, Javier Checa.

Personally, I don't think that the government should have the right to tell businesses how they should be run in this particular respect, but I'm quite interested in hearing arguments from the other side.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
He says he wants his town to be ahead of the curve, when it comes to sexual equality. "We have to make men aware of the responsibilities they have in the home."

And gee, banning certain groups of people from establishments is a great way to stay ahead of the curve! I thought Western society had moved past the whole "let's make it so x group of people can't come in here so they learn their place" concept, but I see I've been proven wrong by this wiseguy.

I'd love to say more, but my mayor just told me to shut my computer off, since it is detracting from my responsibilities in the home...

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Banning men from bars is rediculous and short sighted. I mean, not all men are married for a start, and for those who are, they go into town, looking for a night out and they can't go into a bar so they will probably just find some other sort of entertainment.

The assumption that men are generally bad parents and never help around the house must really pi$$ off a lot of men who don't fit that mould. Gay men ain't gonna like this either. Come on, men aren't going to blindly accept this sort of curfew. It's great that the mayor wants to support sexual equality, but this is seriously blinkered way of doing it. I don't see how he can consider himself 'ahead of the curve.' This law sounds medieval to me.

*badger*

------------------
~Men of quality are not threatened by women's equality~

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.