Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Hunting for Bambi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hunting for Bambi
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume some of you have heard about this by now, right?

In a nutshell, the story goes like this:
Men pay between $5 000-10 000 to play an elaborate paintball game near Las Vegas in the U.S. state of Nevada. Why does it cost so much? Because the targets are naked women. I've read in different places that paintballs shot onto bare skin can hurt for a minute, can leave bruises, or, if shot onto the wrong area, can do some serious damage.

The owner of the operation says that the men are told not to hit the women above the waist, but he acknowledges that not all the customers follow the rules.

The women, apparently, are paid $1 000 for their troubles if they get hit, but if they avoid being hit, the pay goes up to $2 500.

Now, there's some speculation that the whole thing is an elaborate hoax, despite the news media's reporting of it.

There are some obvious discussion points, here. Is the thing real? The official website isn't up anymore, but that could just be due to a traffic overload recently, thanks to all the free pub.

If the thing is real, can anything be done to stop it, if all the participants are willing? And, if so, should anything be done to stop it?

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you click on the Hunting for Bambi web site, you get this little gem:
quote:
This is not a public server. Go away.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
funny, I was discussing this on another website, and we all came to the conclusion that it's pretty degrading to women. not to mention, if you've never been shot with a paintball before, lemme tell ya, it hurts like a summunabitch! I can't imagine the sort of pain and welts a *naked* women would get after being shot 'cause normally, players play while wearing a lot of protective gear, and even still, we come out sore and bruised.

------------------
more surly than girly...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamBaBy
Activist
Member # 12710

Icon 8 posted      Profile for dreamBaBy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the fact that it said on the foxnews link that the "hunters" get to have sex with the women they shoot and the women can't do anything because they have been shot> No amount of money can be given to those women to account for RAPE.

------------------
¤dreamBaBy¤

"Who I am is who I want to be" -Reba MacIntyre

Posts: 93 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dreambaby, it's presumed that the women have consented because that's the name of the game. it's not rape because the women can say no. but it is a bizarre form of prostitution.

------------------
more surly than girly...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting topic! I'm going to have to say, I think this sort of paintball encourages violence towards women. I think this is wrong, even though the women involved consent to it. Let me explain...

A naked body is undoubtedly sexual. Well ok, in some cases maybe not, but these men are obviously paying such a high price to see *naked* women, not just to shoot a few paintballs at each other. So they are effectively paying for nudity, right? So what makes it different from any strip club? (Which I gotta say even those get a lot of complaints because men harass the women) The aim of the game is to shoot the women.

Like a few of you have said, paintballs hurt. So much so, that normal paintball games provide protective clothing like helmets, gloves and full body suits. So if it hits bare skin, it's going to really cane So it's all about hurting women.

Ok, the women who get shot and have sex with these men consent. If they are happy to be employed in this sort of job, that is their business, but the problem I see is that the 'predator and prey' message might spread to outside the paintball game. Sorry men, I'm not saying you can't control yourselves, I'm not saying that any of you here would take the game seriously and go out and rape someone, but in my mind, this game somehow authorizes abuse.

I don't like the idea of women being treated like animals even if it's just a game. I don't even like the way animals are shot and injured. Overall, I think the game itself is consensual, but I think it's a bad joke and a reminder that many women are beaten and raped when they certainly didn't consent.

*badger*

------------------
~Men of quality are not threatened by women's equality~

[This message has been edited by badly_behaved_badger (edited 07-17-2003).]

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we have to be WAT careful with words like "abuse" and "rape."

This is just another form of prostitution (maybe) and another kind of sex work. Women are grownup enough to make decisions about sex work without having to be protected from their choices.

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarlingBri:
I think we have to be WAT careful with words like "abuse" and "rape."

Women are grownup enough to make decisions about sex work without having to be protected from their choices.

Absolutely. My point is that if these women are used for entertainment (as in other types of prostitution) I think it somehow encourages violence against other women outside of the paintball game. That is what I was trying to say, sorry if it wasn't clear.

------------------
~Men of quality are not threatened by women's equality~

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by badly_behaved_badger:
I think it somehow encourages violence against other women outside of the paintball game. That is what I was trying to say, sorry if it wasn't clear.

While I can see that, I'm going to have to step up and say that those participating should have some idea that it is simply fantasy, and should understand that what they are doing is only permissable within the bounds of the fantasy that they are acting out. Ultimately, it falls into that we are responsible for our own actions, and that fantasy is something different and isn't responsible for our actions.

In some ways, really, I can see it going the other way. Theoretically, it gives its participants a consensual means to act out their fantasy, and could help keeping them out of a non-consensual context.

Ultimately (god, I abuse this word), I also have a hard time as seeing this as being degrading for anyone. The particpants, so far as I can tell, consent to the acts taking place, so what the heck -- go for it. The only potential for it being degrading or harmful for any of the participants is if the consent factor is removed.

------------------
Tim, as in "Whoa, Dude."
Scarleteen Advocate

My hormones don't rage. Oh sure, they get mad sometimes, but then they just stop speaking to each other. -- Daria.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gut feeling says it's a hoax. I've never heard of a strip club where the dancers are constantly being threatened with injuries that'll make them less attractive to customers, and several other details don't quite add up either. And, really, often the best way of determining whether something's offensive or acceptable is to consider how it'd seem in reverse. Would it be okay to shoot naked male prostitutes? Would it make a difference if sex wasn't involved? Do you, personally, have a problem with that, think it's legit sex work, or feel turnabout's fair play?

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who decides what's degrading? If these women aren't feeling degraded by what they're doing, why should we feel degraded (as a sex) for them? It's their bodies, and their choices as to what they do w/ them.

If it were the other way around, female customers chasing after male prostitutes w/ paintballs it'd still be okay. Not any more or less okay tho ...

Sounds like legit sex work to me. What's the difference b/w this and any other type of prostitution ...? Or BDSM in general?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if a person can legally consent to be shot or shot at? Can a paintball company employ people and refuse them safety gear? I know that in Ontario, this kind of gaming would be illegal on these two counts. What are the laws in Nevada about this?

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty confident in saying that comparing this to BDSM, or classofying it as such is pretty far-fetched.

BDSM activities generally involve negotiating play with partners one knows and tursts, as well as consent via safewordinng every step of the way, not once at the outset.

And entertaining the idea that it's not a hoax, I'd be willing to bet most of not all of the women involved would NOT be calling this sex work (which is interesting to contemplate -- I'm not sure I'd classify it as such myself. Naked doesn't equal sex, and the activity seems to be about violence, not sex, so, unless naked women + male violence = sex or sex work, I'm not sure how we get to sex work from here...).

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 07-18-2003).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
I'm not sure I'd classify it as such myself. Naked doesn't equal sex, and the activity seems to be about violence, not sex, so, unless naked women + male violence = sex or sex work, I'm not sure how we get to sex work from here...

In the first link that I posted, it said that if the women are hit, the man that hit them gets the option of having sex with them.

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 07-18-2003).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and that'd be how we get there. Big duh on me.

Thanks for the clarity, Dzuun.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bobolink:
I'm wondering if a person can legally consent to be shot or shot at? ... What are the laws in Nevada about this?

Uncle Bobo, we're talking about Nevada here...the land where anything goes.

I'm not buying this story as anything other than a publicity stunt in a town where marketing is everything, but it would theoretically be legal for someone to consent to being shot with paintballs. So long as the recipient waived any potential civil claims, there really wouldn't be any issues involved so long as consent was granted. That would not be the case in less permissive states, but Nevada sure doesn't seem to mind. I find it rather ironic that the participants are more likely to be cited for public indecency as a result of being naked than for ADW as a result of shooting at one another.

But again, I'd go out on a limb and chalk this whole thing under the "if it seems too weird to be true, it probably is" file.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else noticed that the site is now back up, and offering videos for sale? Creating controversy isn't exactly the most original way to sell something but boy, can it be effective.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92959,00.html

Apparantly, this hoax was a publicity stunt to sell videos. The news media will swallow anything these days without investigating.

------------------

- Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.