Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Girls Ski Free

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girls Ski Free
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...all season at Mount Bohemia. Males have to pay regular rates.

Their website doesn't have much information, especially on why they're offering this deal. However, I'm reasonably familiar with the ski industry and I know that the ratio of males to females is far from even -- especially when looking at more advanced riders, whom Bohemia caters to nearly exclusively.

I suspect it's purely an attempt to gain more female guests and, as a consequence, become more appealing to those who enjoy the possibility of ending a day on the hills with a date.

Recently they also had a Mardi Gras weekend. Beads were marketed to men to give to women; the girl with the most beads at the end won $1,000.

While I appreciate the desire to bring more females to their hills, I have serious reservations about what looks like blatant exploitation of gender stereotypes, not to mention the heterosexism.

I'll try to dig up some more detailed information but in the meantime, what does everyone else think? Is it reasonable to use such marketing tactics?

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 03-28-2003).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this scares me less than viral marketing (like paying someone at a bar to loudly ask for a certain brand of vodka. or to have a fake tourist ask you to take their picture with their nifty camera/phone gadget, or other shill type schemes). it seems almost to be markting more towards men....ie...there are girls here. it treats the women at these places as comodies, as objects, which makes it seem sexist to me. but than again car commercials have almsot exclusively male drivers, we sell beer with bikini girls, and have print adds for underwear that have nude models with wings. so.......sexist? yes. but it's also just a logical extension of and existing (and working) marketing trend.

------------------
who is rin?

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's really the same as 'ladies nights' at bars, isn't it?

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was about to say something to that effect, dzuun. the difference, though is that you can opt to not drink and just ski (ski sober, you'll hit fewer trees).

Haven't found any gal's ski free days at the places i ski in tahoe, but y'know what? if Kirkwood ever has a deal like that, i'm going. Skiing is an expensive sport, and call me a sell-out, but my love of the slopes and cheap lift-tix wins out in this round.

------------------
Mmm ... crispy, delicious bacon.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
...call me a sell-out, but my love of the slopes and cheap lift-tix wins out in this round.

Hey, my love of cheap anything wins out in the end. And Gummy, you know this more than most anyone...

I'm with you two though, I think there are enough examples of this sort of thing that it doesn't even faze me. You can bet your behind that if anyone ever had a "Dudes Go Free" day anywhere, I'd be there. I'm poor, I'm cheap, and I'm not going to turn down free stuff when it's offered. Typical!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PBOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.