Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Gender Identity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gender Identity
fiercelingua
Neophyte
Member # 11378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiercelingua     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I knew just how confusing being a teenager would be, I probably would have stubbornly stayed in my mother's womb, despite the c-section (sp).
After finally settling down and getting comfortable with the idea that yes, I like girls (or lesbian if you will but I'm not sure about that term, which will be explained), I uncover another issue in this maze of mine that's called my mind (this is what I get for contemplating the meaning of life!).
What is this particular issue? Gender. Gender is twenty times more confusing then sexuality ever was, or at least it is to me. I am biologicaly female. I have no desire to become male, nor do I identify as male. But, I do not and never had really been able to call myself "female". Where does that leave me? Confused (silly society is way too obsessive about labels and fitting everything into a nice square box with straight sides).
This middle ground, between male and female but not trans (?), this feeling of being genderless... is there a name for it? I know I must not be the only person who feels this way.
Thank you
Amy

Posts: 6 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Amy, I've just never found that gender was something that was very important to me. Not in choosing partners, and not in terms of my personal identity.

I wouldn't say I feel gender-less, just that I don't feel very strongly about gender as part of my identity at all, and to the point that I do, I find I tend to need to invent new structures for myself.

Usually "genderqueer" is a term people use to define feelings like these, or simply standing outside the normal or expected (and often limited) boundaries of how most people think about gender -- often binarily.

In my experience, it need not be a problem or something to feel sad about, but rather simply an avenue to explore, visit and revisit in terms of learning about yourself and making/discovering your self-identity.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my friends believes the soul has no gender, it's only the body that makes someone a boy or a girl. (she also says : "however, I feel much more like a girl than a no-gender-spirit" )
Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leClowne
Neophyte
Member # 11376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leClowne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,
You struck a chord when you said that you felt somewhere in a "middle ground" between male and female. David Deida explains a "polarity" theory in his book "Way of the Superior Man" (he has also written other books on lovers and books about men for women, not just about how to be a better man). Generally, men and women have an 'essence' that is either masculine or feminine. With men, about 80% are masculine, 10% feminine, and 10% neutral, or balanced, and it is the same with women. You may be one of those neutral women, so you might seek a woman who is also neutral. Or, if her feminine/masculine qualities attract you, those traits are complimentary to yours.

This is all a single man's theory, of course, and is simply an idea that might resonate with you. Hope this all helps. :3

Posts: 13 | From: crazy LA, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.