Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Do you switch gender in dreams?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you switch gender in dreams?
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day, I had a very bizarre, science fiction sort of dream. I'm actually thinking of turning it into a story. Anyway, one of the main storylines (yes, my dreams have storylines!) was a romance between a teenage girl and boy. For a while I was the girl, and then I was the boy. I saw both sides of their stories, whereas I usually only see it from one person's point of view. Anyway, I was interested to see if any of you out there dream about yourself as a different gender, or even switch genders like I did in this dream.

------------------
"When you hate your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way!"

Bunch of savages in this town.

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting. I used to have a recurring dream when I was younger where I was a little naked boy, and me and this other little naked boy would run around this pond and play and sing. It sounds weird but this dream was comforting. I always woke up happy when I had that dream. I didn't switch genders though IN the dream- I was a little naked boy the whole time.
Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a dream this week that I was a little boy, and I was playing with another little boy. I think I was about eight. Gender wasn't the topic of the dream, it was just a fact. I think it's really cool to see what my subconcious interpretation is of what it would be like to be a boy.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its probably less complicated than your interpretation

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I've had a couple of dreams like that over the past few months. In one of them, I started to transform into a male in all aspects except my genitals- I had facial hair, broader shoulders, narrower hips the works, however, and was definitely perceived as male throughout the dream. As for me, I didn't really know within myself whether I was supposed to be male or female.

More recently I was inside a dream that was actually based on a science fiction novel by Ursuala Le Guin in which for most of the time all people are sexless. However, once a month they will turn into either a male or female for reproduction purposes, and I happened to turn into a male.

I'm sure that I've also had dreams that I've seen through the male perspective of someone who isn't really me, but I can't recall any at the moment.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...i don't think i've ever been anyone but myself in my dreams. Kwaziness. :P

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prospero's_daughter
Neophyte
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prospero's_daughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, that's a cool thread! I can only remember being male in a dream once, I was trying to save the girl I loved from evil robot (yeah, it was weird, although it all seemed perfectly normal in the dream!) but she refused to believe how much I cared for her, it was odd.. but I enjoyed the dream
Posts: 25 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hitz17
Neophyte
Member # 9043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hitz17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do! but the dreams are intamite, and i'm a girl, and i end up being the boy kissing the girl. i don't know why i have those dreams, but they kinda freak me out.
Posts: 2 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I've never switched gender in my dreams.

It's an intereating concept though. Sometimes I wounder why a persons subconcious comes up with some of the things it does. It's odd, sometiems dreams mean something, and other times they don't. Sometimes they're just snippits of things we've never thought about, and sometimes they can tell the future, or symbolize something. Odd isn't it?

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 6 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only switched gender once or twice in my dreams - more often I morph into some sort of animal! In my dreams, I start off being me and then jump into other people's bodies and control how they act - sometimes it happens to be a boy. A shrink would probably say it shows my manipulative streak, but I think anything is possible in dreams, and I just like to explore the possibilities!
*Badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kajego
Neophyte
Member # 9446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kajego     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I've never turned male in dreams...at least none that I remember. But last night, I had a dream that I pretended to be male. I was enjoying myself. ^_^
Posts: 14 | From: Bordentown, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tropical_punch2006
Neophyte
Member # 9553

Icon 6 posted      Profile for tropical_punch2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I have had some REALLY weird dreams in my day, but I've never been anyone but myself that I can remember anyway.

------------------
"I ran up the door, closed the stairs, put on my prayers, said my pajamas, turned off the bed, and hopped into light all because you kissed me goodnight."

Posts: 1 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occasionally do switch gender in dreams, but more often I find myself having dreams in which my gender is very ambiguous or in which I am still female but have a penis.

More common than those, though, are the dreams in which my partner is switches back and forth from male to female, or is actually two people, one male and one female. Given that my partner is a MtF transsexual and that she's been in my life as both a man and a woman, that's not too surprising.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do y'all know it's you that's changed gender and not another little boy or girl? Just wondering...
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir John the Green
Neophyte
Member # 11370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir John the Green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once dreamed that I was a woman at a dance, where I met this gorgeous other woman with curly brown hair and a red dress and we were making out on the dance floor... I think that that's the only time I was ever a woman in a dream. All the other times times I've been a guy or haven't noticed my gender.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kangae Kaeru
Neophyte
Member # 11526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kangae Kaeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a roleplayer. I am female, but tend to play male characters.

I've dreamed as almost all of my characters at some point, most notably a male mage.. a very erotic dream, with the fiancee from his backstory, and yaoi (male-male) dreams, where I was either.

Weird, ne? I always wonder what this sort of thing says about the rest of my life.

~Kaeru

------------------
"The real world exists somewhere, a dream exists in what we are."
~Kaworu, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanekata
Neophyte
Member # 11531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanekata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple times now, I have dreamed that I was female, and it was a very unique experience. All that I can really remember was being in the shower, washing my breasts, when the Queen from Alien came into the shower demanding that I will eat man flesh. Very odd...

------------------
The only reason why people are more violently opposed to furs than leathers, is beacause it's easier to harass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs.

Posts: 6 | From: Colorado, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark_Wolf
Neophyte
Member # 10024

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Dark_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!! it is so ODD that this topic came up!
I was thinking about it the other day.
I ALWAYS change gender in dreams, unless I am myself. i.e..dark wolf in her normal everyday body.
I am never a female other than myself. this is ODD. Whilst on the topic of dreams :
I have reacuring (sp?) nightmares. They are very Disturbing. I won't go into detail as they are too long but a few times I have woken up sweaty and I always wake up disturbed. My friend thinks I should see a dream counceller. anyway, the main one I get at least once a week. I have called it 'The Blood Room'. Basically, I am me in the dream (Dark_Wolf) sat in a chair in an empty room. Everything in the room is white. Walls, Carpet, chair, my clothing. There is a couple sat in the floor infront of me. They are dressed in white and they are talking. I never look anywhere but ahead of me. The couple, after a few minutes of mindless chatter, start to fight. they yell and get up and they push at each other infront of me. I remain straring ahead. Then the woman storms out of the room. The man closely follows, shouting. I remain staring ahead. There is a door on the bottom right hand of the wall I am staring at. There is alot of shouting and banging and then suddenly a *BANG* and a *RIP* and a scream. The scream never used to be there but has joined in the dream recently. Anyway, the door bulges on its hinges and I remain staring ahead, never once moving. All I can see are my hands, and my lap. The door shoots back into its normal position and then blood seeps from under the door and about half of the dream is me watching the blood seeps towards me in a slow, nightmare style. It stains teh white carpet and I always wake up as the blood reahes and washes over my feet. Its odd...and I can't make anything of it...Anyone care to help me?
*Dark_Wolf*

Posts: 37 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spence21
Neophyte
Member # 15143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spence21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Only In Dreams:
[B]The other day, I had a very bizarre, science fiction sort of dream. I'm actually thinking of turning it into a story. Anyway, one of the main storylines (yes, my dreams have storylines!) was a romance between a teenage girl and boy. For a while I was the girl, and then I was the boy. I saw both sides of their stories, whereas I usually only see it from one person's point of view. Anyway, I was interested to see if any of you out there dream about yourself as a different gender, or even switch genders like I did in this dream.

I have dreams of being a girl all time and I "love" it very much. it makes me feel very good inside. I just wish it were real.

Posts: 2 | From: east tawas,MI,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dreams on a fairly regular basis where I become male. I'm not certain if I'm exclusively male, or only female with a penis. I think it's been both from time to time. It's really interesting, because they're generally sexual dreams where I (whoever I am in the dream) am touching myself. It's always slightly weird.
Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about this on and off ever since it was posted. I guess it's about time I replied.

I never notice my sex in dreams, unless they're sexual. In those, I'm always male, matching my real-world sex. I've been wishing of late that I could have a lucid enough dream to pay attention and see if I'm actually sexless or not, but it hasn't happened yet.

------------------
Sapphire Cat, a feline who can be both pink and blue...

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kanbanmusume
Neophyte
Member # 15110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanbanmusume     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I don't even know if I'm myself in my dreams. Usually I dream about invisible walls and danger, and the pain of my friends and warnings and stuff, but the idea of switching gender is really awesome. It would be interesting to understand both sides of the story.

------------------
Even in loving it is love that loves through us~People are like parachutes, if you need them once, and they aren't there, you probably won't need them again.

Posts: 3 | From: Muncie, Indiana, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been male in sexual dreams a couple times...it happened more while I was going through puberty; I sort of wonder why, given that I was pretty much completely asexual at the time (psychologically speaking). I had a rather erotic dream a few days ago where I was with a girl I'm attracted to, only about halfway through the dream it was obvious that she was male...or perhaps hermaphroditic, it wasn't quite clear. Very odd dream. I've always wondered why I switch gender in dreams, as I've never felt any desire to be male in real life (sexless, sometimes, but never male).
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazy_sexy_cool
Neophyte
Member # 13617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazy_sexy_cool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CrAzY!! I always thought I was weird for having had dreams like this! I have had 2 dreams as far as I can remember where I was a male, these were sexual dreams. I always woke up feeling really weird, because I'm straight, so I was like "what was that all about?!". But *phew*, others have had dreams like this too! : )
Posts: 36 | From: End of the rainbow | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KCallahan
Activist
Member # 15888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCallahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering my view on the definition of gender, then no, I have never dreamt of changing gender. Changing sex? All the time. My brain already knew what was normal, even if I had problems admitting it elsewhere.
Posts: 50 | From: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nico
Neophyte
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean. I've had so many dreams where I'm in the body of a girl for a while, then she walks by a guy and I just kind of leap into his body. It's funny because these people feel like complete, whole persons and I'm just a small observer in their minds.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irish_Queen
Neophyte
Member # 13468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish_Queen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! This is an interesting topic, but I love it! In most of my dreams, if I'm not me (beautiful Irish Queen), I'm me in a male body. I've always had a pull towards the male part of myself, but never disired to be male. Weird! But that's me, weird. I've always felt that if past lifes exist, I was most deffinetly male in my past life. This might be a phicics explination for why I'm bisexual. I don't know? Well, thanks for the cool topic!
Posts: 6 | From: AL, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jethreau'shumblewife
Activist
Member # 17147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jethreau'shumblewife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I can't properly recall it right now, I'm sure I've had dreams from the perspective of a man, or perhaps as myself feeling a LOT of empathy with a man in my dreams. I always used to want to be a boy when I was a little girl, but mostly because of all the cool stuff they got to do, but I couldn't.

------------------
would you forgive me, love, if I danced in your shower?

Posts: 59 | From: CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.