Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Sports at school - Grrrr!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sports at school - Grrrr!
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 8 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my school, girls aren't allowed to play football or rugby. I think this is so unfair!I can understand there could be a problem if girl and boys played it together - but girls and boys do sports seperatly at my school anyway. Me and some other girls have talked to teachers and they say that it's dangerous for girls to play football or rugby because they could damage their reproductive bits. I can tell you we had smoke coming out of our ears after that! I mean, tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't it easier for boys to damage their tackle than for girls? I hate it when people give me that sexist crap. What can I do to change the rules? I'm getting angry about this!!!
*lotsa hugs from da bajjah* <(when I've calmed down a bit!)

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Canada, high school women play soccer (football) and rugger (rugby). Women's soccer especially is widely played in both school and neighbourhood leagues. One of ST's advocates, Gumdrop Girl, played soccer in high school. While she took her share of bumps and bruises, her reproductive system was not compromised. Soccer is a very popular recreational sport in North America for women

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 04-14-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play rugby, football, camogie and basketball in school. I've also done Thai Bo and other sports(our P.E. teacher is pretty cool) adn I haven't done any major damage to any of my "bits" as far as I know. That excuse is really a load of bulls**t. Keep working hard to get equal rights for girls. If we have them in our all catholic school then you can certainly have them!
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slayer, what's camogie?

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooops, sorry, do you guys know what hurling is? Its an Irish sport, and we play it with a bat/stick thing called a hurley and with a ball called a sliotar. Its kinda like hockey, except way more violent and played in the air as well. Camogie is the female version of it. Its virtually the same except for a few minor rules.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds a bit like lacrosse. Or am I totally not getting it?

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobo's right. I used to be a footballer And while my jaws were pretty badly damaged by an injury incurred at a game several years ago, I assure you, my reproductive bits are still quite well. If anything, I would think the men would have more cause for concern as far as their bits are concerned in a rough and tumble game of football.

I know many women on my uni's rugby team. I have yet to hear of them complaining of reproductive complications as a result. Same goes with the women's soccer team. The worst i heard was my former coach. She played so hard during uni that she stopped menstruating. Bear in mind, however, she is a small woman, and was pretty underweight at the time. That sort of thing will happen to any woman who is underweight and puts too much stress on her body.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
She played so hard during uni that she stopped menstruating...

During my Cross Country days, we had a similar situation. There was a girl a year older than me who was one of our best female runners. She set two records in one year in the half-mile and two-mile events. This girl trained so much that her body went nuts and she started to menstruate continuously. She ended up having to be hospitalized, and after fully recovering was told by her doctors not to run again. She remained on the Track team however, and started performing Field events instead. One year later she set a record in the triple jump, and two more in the long jump. Go figure.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along those lines National Public Radio this morning had a really interesting report on the first woman to run in the Boston Marathon. It was in 1967 and she had to sign up under false pretenses because they didn't allow women in the race. You can listen to it here. Go about halfway down the page to the summary titled "Marathon Women."
Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my school board (when I was in high school) there was a girls' rugby league. There was also a girls' soccer league. As for (North) American football, well, I played in high school, and we had a girl on our team for a year. She never got into any of the games, but she practiced with us, and as far as a I can remember, she took part in all the drills, getting hit just as boys did.

------------------
She's a smooth operator/It's all so calculated/She's got a calculator/She's my soft touch typewriter
-Elvis Costello

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Im a real gurlie gurl, but I think that its bull crap that you cant play what you want to play. I know here we have some girls on the guys wrestling team, which is cool.

I think if you feel like playing you should be able to play. You should talk to the principal or something. Even though I dont play those rough tough sports, I support ya!!

Rock on GIRLS!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my schools pretty good that way. If you want a sport to start at school, you have to organize how many people will be coming and what days you want practises scheduled. After the principal has seen that there is enough of an interest, he/she will have to organise an administrator and a coach for the sport. It's not that simple, though. It takes time but if you really push for it, it gets done.

I play tennis and basketball. There are male and female basketbal teams and they both get the same treatment. There's no favouritism shown to the guys.

------------------
'I don't mind straight people, as long as they act gay in public.'-Dennis Rodman, well know basketball player and cross-dresser

'I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'-Voltaire, French philosopher

Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobolink -- here we have two soccer teams, Junior Varsity (JV) and Varsity. We have girls trying out left and right for soccer all the time, and even last year we had 4 or 5 girls on the football team.

I think it's stupid that they don't let females play certain sports (although I don't know if they allow males to play volleyball) even thought we have girls and boys teams (not for football, though). I can understand if a very skinny girl wants to play football with 300 pound boys, but I say give her a chance.

------------------
Don't Mess With Texas.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

quote:
Originally posted by PoetgirlNY:
Sounds a bit like lacrosse. Or am I totally not getting it?

We actually don't catch the ball with the hurley, just hit it. Its kinda like a cros between lacrosse and hockey I suppose, I think you have to see it really to get it. I might post a pic of someone playing it in All About You sometime if that's ok?

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slayer_gurl:
I might post a pic of someone playing it in All About You sometime if that's ok?

Actually, becuase of our bandwidth crunch, why not just link to it so we can look at it in a place that won't cost MizScarlet some money? I know that I'd sure love to see it!

And Daydreamer has brought up a good point. At my school, and at most schools in my area, boys were not allowed to play volleyball no matter how good they were or how hard they tried. That sport simply didn't exist for men. Meanwhile, we did have several girls who were allowed to play on the football team. We've spoken a lot about how we feel it is wrong for women to be denied the right to play certain sports, but the fact that boys have been kicked out of a few sports has sort of been lost. Why do you think that is?

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

I have a pic from another website(coincidentally, the website of the college I'm lanning to go to) so if u want to see a very small part of what hurling looks like, go here:
http://www.ul.ie/~hurling/pics/fordeoffaly.htm

and also www.gaa.ie is the official site of the Irish games for anyone who's really curious.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.