Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » frustration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: frustration
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, I tend to be quite optimistic when thinking of my position in this world, as a woman. But occasionally, I'm hit over the head with how far behind men we are, in so many areas... politics, business, sports... In Canada, we elect 1 woman to parliament for every 5 men. Whenever my partner watches sports on TV, I'm reminded that women have pitifully few opportunities to play professional sports, and that women's sports aren't usually considered interesting enought to be broadcast. (Sorry for ranting)

How do you deal with the frustration? Usually I ignore it by focusing on myself ("I'm going to live MY life MY way, and no one's gonna stop me") or by brushing it off in jokes ("yeah, that'll be the day"). I hate it when feminists victimize themselves, but every now and then, I almost believe that there's something wrong with us.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, it rarely bothers me. The things that most get on my nerves are generalizations. I hate those.

I think of myself much the way you do...this is how I'm gonna do it. I'm more worried about myself in general and how i'm going to be able to accomplish things in my life. I don't see myself as being that "far behind" males because i've surrounded myself with what i think are worthy role models.(IE. Bif Naked, Bettie Page...there are others that don't quite fit into that catagory)

If i really wanted to rant about it and felt that i had issues i had to deal with, i'd prolly come here and discuss them or post in village people.

------------------
'My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers...that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her'-Jeff Murdock
(Coupling, BBCC)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.