Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » religion (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: religion
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im an athiest. But I read a book ("God: The Interview" by Terry Lane) which basically said that God is Mother Nature, and "gave birth" to the universe, and is therefore female, and throughout the book is referred to as she.

I dont necessarily see that god being referred to as male as being wrong, but i feel that Christianity as a whole (and dont get me wrong, many other religions too, and please dont jump on me here because i dont want to be seen as bashing religions, but if you read the bible its hard to dispute) do encourage inequality and sexism.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acs79
Activist
Member # 33994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acs79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My religion (I'm Mormon) has a pretty unique view of this whole question. Mormon doctrine states that gender is part of our identities--we existed before we were born and will exist after we die, and that our gender existed before and will exist after. God is definitely male, but has a female counterpart. While She is not discussed much in the scriptures, She is an absolutely equal partner to God. Obviously, this has all sorts of implications . . . So, no, I don't think that it's wrong to believe that God is a man. However, I believe that it is wrong to think of God as a solitary and omnipotent male, without an equal female counterpart.

I believe unequivocally that men and women are absolutely equal. I believe that my religion teaches the same thing. However, I know plenty of people in my church, in other churches, and who don't participate in any religion, who believe otherwise. I think that for these people, religion, societal structures, political structures, and economic structures, are really nothing more than a vehicle through which they can practice repression and exercise power. Religion becomes nothing more than an excuse for suppression. I definitely struggle with particular ambiguities within my religion's doctrine, but would never be able to adhere to any belief system that ultimately preached that half the world's population is somehow inferior due to chance.

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchie
Neophyte
Member # 33459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i quite agree with the mormon's answer. I'm catholic and I believe God has become one of us, as a male: Jesus Christ. For me God is Father, Son and Spirit. I understand father more as "parent" in some books of the Bible God is described as a mother, what matters is the strong feeling of paternity/maternity god feels toward us.
Yet i know there's a lot of differences between girls and boys, and discriminations. Even, and i'm sorry to admit that: especially in religious people.
that's what happen when you care too much about society, and you don't go back to the reading of the Bible...
(sorry for mistakes, english isn't my native langage)

Posts: 5 | From: France, near Paris | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'i'm a buddhist. the buddha was a mortal man.'

i was taught that buddha was not g-d, he was like a prophet. in judaism, g-d is supposed to be gender neutral but is often referred to as 'he' becuase of society's expectations. i'm assuming that g-d is both becuase there is a female side to match the male side often portrayed. yahweh is the male profile who is often referred to and shechina is the female profile that comes in the form of shabbat on friday night and saturday. shabbat has always been personified as female and after thinking it over, i believe that g-d is both as powers can take shape in the profile of both genders

Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily Luna
Neophyte
Member # 37575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily Luna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't Really feel this way, I'm a strong Athiest.

--------------------
How can we have others make us happy?? If we are not happy with ourselves, first??

Posts: 15 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niki
Neophyte
Member # 37106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I've personally examined them or anything, but I heard that in the original bible texts, God was referred to as "she" or in plural, but that was changed as it was translated... Either because it was difficult to translate, or (more likely) because women were not thought of as very important at the time.
Posts: 32 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a0231
Activist
Member # 35379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a0231     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I've never really thought of it -- always saw God as a man, but I suppose it doesn't really matter? Then again, I've always just thought that way because that's how "He" was constantly depicted to me as a child.

I'm at a time in my life where I see things as very black and white with no gray fuzz in the middle, so as far as religion goes, I'm definitely lax on the issue. Though now that this question has been brought up, I'll use my insomnia to ponder it...interesting.

Posts: 104 | From: College | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ovan
Neophyte
Member # 38429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think he's being referred to as a man, but he is being compared to a father because of the role he takes in your life.

Also, he has no gender since he is not human.

--------------------
Not in cruelty
Not in Wrath
The Reaper came today
An Angel visited this gray path
And took the Cube away.....

Posts: 12 | From: California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then why call your god "he" at all?

quote:
i was taught that buddha was not g-d, he was like a prophet
That's a bit of a misconception. In Buddhism, the point is essentially that everyone is Buddha, so there are not prophets or the like. Certainly, there are people in the world who can be our teachers, and Buddha has been a big teacher for many, but the whole framework of saints and prophets and the like doesn't really translate in most Buddhism. For the most part, trying to translate a lot of the kinds of structures we see in religions to Buddhism just doesn't work (in part because it's not technically even a religion).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niki
Neophyte
Member # 37106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ovan:
I don't think he's being referred to as a man, but he is being compared to a father because of the role he takes in your life.

Also, he has no gender since he is not human.

How is it a fatherly role? God could very much so be seen like a woman... women have children, God is supposed to have created the world. Women nurture and care for their babies (not to say that men don't, but women were given breasts which definitely help) like some religions say God does for creatures on Earth,etc.

God is often given typical male gender qualities when discussed.

Posts: 32 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.