Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Chivalric or Politically Correct

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chivalric or Politically Correct
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At school last week I, thinking it was the polite thing to do, offered to help a girl carry a heavy prop during the set build for our fall play (Lysistrata). She replied jokingly, "Are you living in the Renaissance? Do you think women need help carrying heavy stuff?" It made me wonder...

Traditionally in western society, it is considered polite for a man to open the door for a woman, pay for any expenses on a date, help women whenever possible, that sort of thing. Does this make any sense? Is there logic behind this idea?

I personally think it's nice when anyone gets the door or pays for a meal, and disagree with the idea that men are always supposed to do this for women. Perhaps chivalry shouldn't be killed for political correctness, but reincarnated to make the world an, at the expense of being cliche, better place. What do you think?

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you- it's nice when anyone makes an effort to help you out, or treat you to something, and gender isn't really relevant to that. If a male opens a door for me when my hands are full, then that is lovely. I would do the same for him if our positions were reversed. I would do the same for another female, or whatever gender the person might be. I would find taking offense at such an act rather silly.

However, I do find it annoying when some guys go out of their way to be chivalrous- I remember one fellow I knew a couple of years ago who would simply not let me (or any female) walk through a door without rushing ahead to open it, even when it was really not necessary. I found this annoying because it always disrupted the flow of conversation, and I felt that the act was too loaded with gender expectations- both the expectation for the guy to open the door and the expectation that the female wanted him to do that.

I also think that expectations of chivalry when only applied to males can be hard on guys when they are expected to pay for everything, be the breadwinner, etc. While less and less women expect this now days- I've hardly ever met a woman who does expect it, and most that I know would be quite uncomfortable in a relationship where the guy always paid- it's a good example of how unfair chivalry can be when it's only expected of males.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hold doors open for everyone, men and women and hardly anyone thanks me. Grr.
Anyway, I don't really have a problems with men being 'chivalrous', as long as it's not accompanied by a patronising attitude. They can hold doors open for me, but they'd better not talk down to me.
Seriously, I think men realise that women can open doors etc for themselves, so when they do it for you it's kind of nice. Polite and kind. I think polite, kind behaviour always needs to be encouraged, regardless of the gender of the people involved, so it would be sad if people were too scared to do nice things because of the possible offence it might cause.
Anyway, I like to exploit 'ladies first' etc for my own good so it had better stick around.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does feel a bit odd when soemone tkes things a little too far. A firend of mine likes to put his arm around the shoulders of wmen when we cross the street. it isn't a hug and it doesn't feel like he is trying to hit on you. he does it to protect the women from traffic.

1- That won't help much if we are going to be hit by a car.

2- I can traverse the street on my own. I am fully functionl person.

I think he learned this trick from his father. I suppose it would not seem so odd if a man from his father's generation would do this.

It makes me think of how my mother would hate it when my father would order for her at a restaurant ( la "the lady will have the fish..."). He thought it was polite. She thought it was insulting. Sometimes my father was stuck in a time warp when it came to female-male situations.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's definitely a touchy issue, and I can remember when I first ran afoul of political correctness and held open a door for a woman who was exiting a building behind me. I was 10 years old and with my mother, and as I exited the building I held the door open for the next person because she was right on my heels, and I had been taught to hold a door open as a courtesy to someone who is immediatly behind you. I did so, and the woman stopped dead in her tracks and stared at me. I didn't know what to do, but I gathered that maybe she was going to change her mind and walk back into the building...but as I was thinking that, she slapped at my hand and said something to the effect of "I can do this myself, who the hell do you think you are?!" She then added something about the Patriarchy, which enraged my mother.

I was pretty stunned, and I think that was a sad lesson to learn. I meant no ill will, I just thought it was common courtesy. But that image sort of stuck with me, and today I am far more careful about the message I am conveying when I do things like that. I certainly don't want to feed into any sort of patronizing behavior, but I would like to be courteous. And I think that it is a fine line that we all have to walk sometimes, where good intentions can upset people if we aren't careful.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 11-08-2001).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any person who would slap at a ten year old for being helpful and lecture him about patriarchy is obviously mentaly disturbed.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very comfortable with what's termed "chivalry." It makes life more socially graceful, although the rules of social etiquette that dictate chivalrous behaviour are largely lost these days.

If I am heading towards a door with a man, I will always pause a beat to allow him to open it if he wishes, mostly because this decreases the likelihood of the "two bodies, one doorframe bash" that looks very foolish.

If I am with a woman, or a man who looks hesitant, I simply say "I'll get it" as we approach the door.

I prefer to have a car door opened for me by the driver regardless of gender. I open the car door for my passengers, regardless of gender. It's polite. They are, essentially, my guests.

If you're walking down the street and someone is approaching you, tradition dictates that the man step toward the curb and the woman steps towards the buildings. This is a very old tradition having to do with muddy streets and long skirts, but it avoids the "shall we dance?" routine in the middle of the sidewalk. In the case of people of the same gender, the younger person steps to the curb side. When in doubt, I just move.

I'm sure that many people find it laughable. That's fine. For me, it's part of my upbringing, and I feel more confident moving through the world with a knowledge of how to negotiate those types of situations.

While I realise there is gender bias in the traditions, I'm not bothered by that now. There's nothing wrong with my arms, but I don't feel the need to prove that at every doorway.

And gaffer, if you were carrying something heavy, I would offer to help you. Because there's nothing wrong with my arms, and it's only polite

--Bri

[This message has been edited by DarlingBri (edited 11-08-2001).]

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like chivalry. i don't find it any different from being polite. i hold doors for ppl and lend my coat to ppl who are colder than me. imho, if a person cannot appreciate an act of courtesy, then he or she is ungrateful. the last thing this world needs is fewer acts of kindness.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I implore all women not to feel patronised or any strong emotion if a man decides to act in a chivalrous manner. In modern times it is very hard to know what the right thing to do is. If a man is behaving in such a way, he is almost certainly merely trying to impress the woman and show that he is a gentleman.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Doe:
Any person who would slap at a ten year old for being helpful and lecture him about patriarchy is obviously mentaly disturbed.

I am with you on that one John, she was pretty vile. I was pretty stunned after it happened, but I remember that my mother (who was no slouch when it came to women's issues) berated her for about ten solid minutes right in the front of that office building.

quote:
Originally posted by Confused Boy:
In modern times it is very hard to know what the right thing to do is.

Again, I think that is a very telling statement. My friends and I have had this conversation a number of times, especially in recent years when all of us had girlfriends at one or another. We couldn't really figure out whether we should be opening car doors, etc for our girlfriends because there seemed to be such a divergence of opinion. My girlfriend in high school would yell at me if I got the door for her, whlie my girlfriend in college would yell at me if I didn't. So I think we all played it safe as a result and tested the waters a bit before we opened a door or pulled a chair out from a table, or did all those things that our grandfathers insisted were an absolute must.

It's just sad when we as a society berate people who are trying to be polite.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hold doors and such... if anyone wants to complain I'm being patronizing, I can just smile at them and see if they do a double take when they notice I'm wearing lipstick and glitter.

I also don't refuse help. "Many hands make light work", right?

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Gumdrop Girl nailed when she said

quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
the last thing this world needs is fewer acts of kindness.

I think that any acts of kindness should simply be appreciated and if possible, reciprocated. It's little things like opening doors for each other, moving aside, giving clothes, allowing someone else to go first, etc. that contribute to our societies well-being. However for these actions to truly be beneficial they need to be well intentioned; gestures made simply by virtue of gender are a bit patronizing.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me at least, actions become patronizing (though probably unintentionally on the part of the doer) when the person goes out of their way to help me when I don't need it.

Let me try to explain: if I'm right on somebody's heels and we're both heading for a door, and that person holds it open for me, they're not going out of their way to help me. They were going to open the door anyway. If, though, they open and close my car door, I'd find that patronizing. They wouldn't have gone near that door had I not been in the car. I can handle a car door perfectly well on my own. The extra effort can be construed as being spent because I'm so incapable of dealing with things on my own that the person has to go out of their way to help.

If, however, I actually need help, it's a different story. Sure, I can open and close a car door on my own under normal circumstances, but if it's sticking or something, then the polite thing to do is help me with it.

Most little acts of kindness -- like lending clothing, offering to help carry something that's obviously heavy, etc. -- are acceptable under this definition.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 2 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm weird about doors being held and such, but never rude about it. i'll put it this way - my guy holds doors open for me, almost always, and i love it. it's a nifty gesture comming from him. and if someone is going thrugh a door right before me, it's perfectly natural for them to pause that one beat to hold it for me. but if some man who i find very unattractive/older than my father/otherwise not at all my type goes out of his way to hold the door for me it bothers me on some level. i still smile, i would never act annoyed at someone for being polite,i just am not comfortable having someone who i don't have some kind of personal relationship with do anything to "take care of me". it's nifty when my guy decides to lend me his sweater or open the door or carry something, ditto for my guy friends, but i don't want some stranger's hands on my belongings or coat around my sholders, on some fundamental level it just gets to me. that said tho - in general terms i think chivalry is a great thing. eventhough i'm not always personally comfortalbe with it, i would never dream of yelling at someone for being nice to me, that's just silly.
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-ben franklin

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take no offence when people hold doors open for me (although I do suspect males get doors held open for them less often). I figure that I hold doors open for other people just as often, and it all evens out.

What bothers me are girls who expect everything laid out for them on a silver platter. Pleeeease, I'm sure you can open a door, pull out your chair, flip down the toilet seat, or pay for your drink. If you think it's your right to be treated "like a lady", perhaps you'd better start treating others as ladies too!

The other thing that bothers me is teachers saying "can I get two strong boys to help me with this?". Usually what they need help with is not so heavy that a female couldn't handle it.

P.S. Gaffer, the heavy prop she was carrying for Lysistrata didn't happen to be a giant phallus, did it? Sorry, that was the first thing that came to mind.

[This message has been edited by Rizzo (edited 11-12-2001).]

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I wish...

My school is very, er, big on censorship. I designed the poster with the Venus de Milo wearing an artillery belt (in the style of Rambo) and the administration said I have to redesign it tonight (as in I'm doing so right now) because the violence and nudity are inappropriate. If we had a giant phallus on the school property someone would lose their job. At least the thought behind it is still there.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were discussing the code of chivalry in school today, and I brought up the fact that I thought the part about "Protecting womesn honour" was sexist. My teacher disagreed, but I said it was still sexist even if it was sexist in our favour.

It is nice to have doors held open etc, but it also makes me think that people think I'm incapable of doing it myself (of maybe I'm just paranoid)

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

------------------
~~Scarleteen Advocate~~
"Gillian Anderson and Annabeth Gish - the ultimate sandwich"

Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallieRebecca
Neophyte
Member # 6185

Icon 12 posted      Profile for CallieRebecca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When a guy opens the door, carries somehting heavy, etc., for me, I love it because I think that polite guys are soooo rare now. I mean, it's not that I CAN'T open the door or carry heavy things, it's just that it's sweet. I dunno. I'm a hopeless romantic anyways.

~ Callie

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hold doors open for my teachers, and I've yet to have been killed for it. Then again I'm a girl, and its expected because they're older than me. But to be quite honest, I would love it if a guy help open a door for me if I was struggling with books or whatever. I'd hold it open for a guy! I mean, I think that the world has enough arguments without arguing over the opening of a door. A liitle act of kindness can go a long way. And if someone doesn't appreciate it(like that psycho who shouted at the ten year old) then they have the problem and I wouldn't worry too much about yourself
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.