Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Positive Steps for Gender Equality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Positive Steps for Gender Equality
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a forum like this it's easy to spend a lot of time talking about poor gender equality- and indeed, it is important to talk about this.

However, sometimes it's nice to have a space where we can talk about positive things we have seen happen with regards to the issue.

I noticed something good today while I was waiting for a doctor's appointment- the foyer doubles as a waiting room for both doctor appointments and counselling appointments, and has a lot of support brochures to browse through while you wait. I was very happy to see literature for women, but also brochures offering support to men addressing issues such as sexuality, masculinity and fatherhood.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen other similar positive steps towards gender equality for either men or women (or other genders, since we don't have to restrict ourselves to the traditional poles of male and female).

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since this topic was posted, I've been wanting to answer... but I've had a hard time thinking about what's positive. I guess that being young makes me somewhat oblivious to how bad things were before I was born... thus I spend all my time complaining about the little things that are still wrong.

When I do reflect on the past though, I see how far we've come, and in quite a short timespan, too. It was not so long ago that women had to wear skirts to school, restaurants, etc. Not long ago it was very rare for women to be in influential positions at work. Women have caught up to men a great deal in the last century or so.

It seems that men are a little slower in catching up to women, though. On this front there is less positive news. However, when I look to the gay community, that is where I see the most signs of men blurring traditional gender lines. As gay men become more and more accepted, I hope more and more of their willingness to stray from "maculinity" will spread to the straight population.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sexes are equal, nuff said.

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whythingsburn
Neophyte
Member # 5363

Icon 6 posted      Profile for whythingsburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think if we start by looking at gender as a "construction" -- an arbitrary set of criteria set out to control us socially, it makes a lot of sense to try and defy these things -- how many times have you heard a statement like, "women are..." or "girls are..." and thought, "that's not me!"

it's become clearer and clearer that gender is -- like sexuality -- a sliding scale of sorts, with nothing "authentic" -- what if we're free to release ourselves from social strictures and choose the genders we want?

for what it's worth, a doctor at columbia has logged at least six different genders...

------------------
Why Things Burn: Poems now available from Soft Skull Press
(http://www.softskull.com)

Posts: 3 | From: san francisco, ca, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.