Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » In all thy... persons... command?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In all thy... persons... command?
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canadians probably get the subject.

These are the official English lyrics to our national anthem, O Canada:

O Canada
Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons’ command!
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
Thy true north strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
we stand on guard for thee!

God keep our land, glorious and free
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

Right now, they're under attack, sort of. Some (largely feminist) groups are lobbying to have the lyric about "in all thy sons command..." changed to something that's gender neutral. They're suggesting, for one, "in all our lives command...".

I think this is an effort that will lead to nothing good. I appreciate what they're doing, but there's just so much in the anthem that's bound to offend others who take it as seriously as these people.

The reference to "home and native land" is outdated, as so many Canadians are now not native to this country, and atheists like me surely don't want any references to God in there.

The whole thing just seems silly to me.

Rex Murphy wrote a wonderful tongue-in-cheek piece on all of this for the Globe yesterday, for which the URL is too long to post.

quote:
The problem with O Canada, as every Canadian knows, is that it's riddled with sexism, one thick ungraceful stew of testosterone set to music. No wonder they love it at hockey games. It must intimidate the Swedes. It's clearly time we got off the debate over health care, the sorry state of our armed forces, Quebec, the farm crisis, people living on the streets, Prairie drought and eastern fog, and turned to what really agitates the Canadian citizenry -- gender bias in the national sing-along.

------------------
"...we're all thinking the same thing/let's not settle for satisfaction/we are women and men of action/let's stop clapping let's start doing/a dream for the teens and in-betweens and twenties yet unseen"
-Braid

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the words have already been changed multiple times already, and though I don't greatly care about this either way, I see little harm in it.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should probably do what the Germans did when it became clear that the first verse of the Deutchlandlied became problematic. They adopted the second verse.

If Canada adopted the second verse of "O Canada" we would be singing:

Oh, Canada, Where pines and maples grow
Great prairies spread and lordly rivers flow
How dear to us thy broad domain
From east to western sea
Thou land of hope for all who toil
Thou True North, strong and free
God keep our land, glorius and free
O Canada, we stand aon guard for thee.

Notice nobody ever complains about the French lyrics which are strongly Roman Catholic.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 08-05-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, I have read things about how gender specific language can affect the way people think about things, and "all our sons command" does pretty clearly exclude the "daughters". Furthermore, the suggested change "in all our lives command" also allows room for people who don't fit into either male or female genders.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post something like this, but it slipped my mind. Lots of times.

I was talking about this w/ my grandmother yesterday, actually. It's easy for me to say "go ahead, change it" b/c it's only been my national anthem for 17 years. While that's all Nan (my grandmother hehe) has known for her 68 years.

Personally, i feel that they're going overboard. This anthem is anything but new ... and as has been said many times before at these boards, it's easy to take a good thing too far. I'm all for speaking up for womens rights, but i don't believe in changing a part of our history b/c of one word. It seems silly.

------------------
I have this nagging fear that everyone is out to make me paranoid.
~ Anonymous

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I also wanted to post something like it, but I guess I forgot.

Personnaly, this anthem for me has been something I totally love. Although I didn't even knew what it said, it sounded right.

And I guess it still does. Why would we change it ? And as smurf said, for some people, they've known it for many many years. I think it should remain intact, as part of what we keep from long ago.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, im such an idiot! i've known our national anthem for years, but never actually saw the lyrics, i just learned it from hearing them. and i've always thought it was "suns" not "son's"! haha, i gues my version dosentreally make any sense... but it is gender nuetral!
Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Juice:
and i've always thought it was "suns" not "son's"! haha, i gues my version dosentreally make any sense... but it is gender nuetral!

Hahaha, i thought that was really funny.

I really don't think it's such a big deal. It would cost a lot of money to change in the long run and i don't think it's worth it. I'm used to our anthem like that, and i like it that way. I'm not offeneded that it says "sons", i never even noticed until this thing came up.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

------------------------
"You already know at least 4 women who've been raped...and you don't even know it."

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Milke said, the words to the anthem have been changed before, in order to get rid of a few too many "stand on guard"s. Hence, I don't think changing the words is such a big problem. Actually, I rather like the second verse you posted, Bobolink. It's a little more concrete, mentioning the land's features. I think that's a source of pride for a lot of Canadians, even if they live in cities. Still have to get rid of the "God" though!
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PixieDust
Activist
Member # 4003

Icon 2 posted      Profile for PixieDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno...you said the they wanted the English translation changed. I know nothing about French, but I do believe French is a dirivative of Latin...as well as Spanish. Now what I do know is when ever you are referring to a group of people...if they are all female, you would refer to them in the feminine form "ellas", but if a male is in that group, doesn't matter if he is out numbered by females, they are referred to in the masculine form "ellos"....same type of thing with daughters and sons...if they were talking about everyone it would be in the masculine, no matter whether daughters were included. Maybe it's the same with French. So where does the problem lie? The translation, or the language it was translated from? I am not putting down the language, but it's what I know from 3 years of Spanish.
~Shandi

------------------
"We are the normal"-Johny Rznick

Posts: 86 | From: Las Vegas, NV, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
French has the same gender-plural issues, PixieDust, but I'm pretty sure the French version is hardly an exact translation anyway (actually, I think it's noticeably different), so that's not goin to be the only problem.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if I'm remembering my Latin correctly, *all* of our Romance languages are masculine-skewed. "Defer to the masculine" not only in instances such as PixieDust referenced, but when talking about a hypothetical or an abstract. We do this in English, too.

I guess I'm on the side of traditionalism. It really doesn't bother me much when someone references deferring to "him" or "his," as it's simply been the proper way to do it, grammatically, for a long, long time. And it stands out as artificial when someone does change to "her" or "hers," (fellow nerds take note of the newer D&D manuals).

A more pressing issue would be the noninclusivity of religious references in national anthems, but again, that's the way these songs were written and should, in my opinion, remain.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Aiyiyi, I'm your little butterfly/Green, black, and blue make the colors in the sky..." --Smile.DK, "Butterfly"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The history of "O Canada" can be found here:
http://www.pch.gc.ca/ceremonial-symb/english/emb_anthem.html

It should be noted that the English lyrics are an adaptation of the original French poem written in 1880 by Quebec Judge Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier and set to music that year by Quebec composer Calixa Lavallée.

The complete English and French lyrics can be found here:
http://home.istar.ca/~awright/O_CANADA.HTM

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.