Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » sex and gender

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sex and gender
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok....i'm genetically a girl, and i identify my gender as woman. pretty normal stuff. my bf is a transvestite so i have an interest in gender identity issuse. i stumbled across this site: http://eval1.crc.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/bem-survey.cgi?show=1&id=9999
a bem sex rolls test, and took it. and got this back:
Thanks for completing the survey.
Your Femininity Score is 4.65.
Your Masculinity Score is 5.55.
You are sex-typed in the masculine direction.
this is kind of puzzling to me, as i've never identified as masculine. i was wondering if this test is just screwy, or if my idea of what it means to be a girl is just way off from what society expects form me. what do the rest of you think of this test?
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 5.45.
Your Masculinity Score is 3.8.
You are sex-typed in the feminine direction.

I would have to read more about what the test measures, but I feel that it seems like they're assigning certain traits to "masculine" and "feminine" and then going by how much you identify with those traits.

so yeah, 'rin, you might just ID more with the traits they're labelling as masculine.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 13 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I took it, and I had a 4.75 for femininity, and 5 for masculinity. This, according to the survey, means that I am androgynous. Ummmm...no? What it means is that I am my own person, regardless of traditional male or female traits and roles. Running through the test, I could tell right off the bat which properties were going to be considered "male:" acts like a leader, competitive, agressive, analytical, etc., and "female:" flatterable, affectionate, shy, cheerful, and so on. I am a female, I identify as a female, and if I am willing to stand up for my opinion, take risks, make decisions, or take the lead, I don't see how that makes me any less feminine. In fact, some people would say I'm too feminine! This isn't a test for femininity or masculinity, it's a test of stereotypicality. Femininity and masculinity are not objective; no yes-or-no test will ever be able to determine them.

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

IM: AngelElisheva (Oh, I'm so creative, aren't I?)

[This message has been edited by AngelElisheva (edited 07-29-2001).]

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, found it.

If you go to this page of psychology lecture notes, you can see the traits grouped into masculine, feminine, and neutral. http://www.staffs.ac.uk/schools/sciences/psychology/coursematerials/inddiff/hout4.htm

Interesting. I wonder why they grouped the traits the way they did, but I don't have time to keep researching. Anyone want to and report back?

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow ... I never knew i was so feminine

Your Femininity Score is 4.5.
Your Masculinity Score is 3.65.
You are sex-typed as near feminine.

------------------
I have this nagging fear that everyone is out to make me paranoid.
~ Anonymous

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got "near feminine" too. Which is pretty much what i expected.

But i really wouldn't rely on an online test to tell me how masculine or feminine i am.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

------------------------
"You already know at least 4 women who've been raped...and you don't even know it."

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 5.25.
Your Masculinity Score is 5.6.
You are sex-typed in neither direction. You are androgynous.

Oh boy. News-flash there.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not take this test too seriously. Most questions were repeated about three times using slightly different wording. Just for a laugh I took it too:

Your Femininity Score is 4.6.
Your Masculinity Score is 3.5.

I dont see why you have to be dominant to be masculine.

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 1.85.
Your Masculinity Score is 4.5.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 4.9.
Your Masculinity Score is 4.65.
You are sex-typed in neither direction. You are androgynous.

No not true at all. I just tend to be a bit unconventional.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Femininity: 3.9
Masculinity: 4.45
Sex typed as near-masculine.

Funny, but when I did the Gender Test at The Spark (a test ONLY meant to be taken in a light-hearted way) my results told me that I was "definitely male". In spite of that I've always felt quite comfortably female. Gender is such a funny human construct.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*laughs* According to that test and to the Spark test, I'm very much a man.

I knew I should have videotaped the birth... I'd be rich!!

------------------
How can you not like muffins?!

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the spark test called me a guy too! i guess i'm just too independent/asertive/not afraid of math to look like a girl on paper.
*smirk*
oh well, i look like one in person so it's all good.
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 5.0 feminine, 4.75 masculine, androgenous . . . important info, huh?

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 5.4.
Your Masculinity Score is 3.4.

Well, both this and the Spark test said I was female. (Although, I told the Spark test it was wrong, even though it wasn't, just to screw up its ideas of what's feminine/masculine). I'm so boring. What's a girly girl like me doing moderating this forum anyway?

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 4.05.
Your Masculinity Score is 6.2.
You are sex-typed in the masculine direction

No kidding.

This and the Spark test said I was definitely a guy. Cool. I'm technically, physically female, but I think I would show up as a guy on my girly-like days too.

------------------
*When authorities warn you of the sinfulness of sex, there is an important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities. -From "Basic Sex Facts
For Today's Youngfolk" in "Life In Hell'', by (Matt Groening)

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 5.5.
Your Masculinity Score is 4.15.

i guess im just femme. but personally, i see nothing wrong with being more masculine. it might even be better than being feminine!!

------------------
"Sing as if no one were listening, dance as if no one were watching, and live each day as if it were your last."

So you call this your free country?
Tell me why it costs so much to live.--3 Doors Down

"I think...therefore I'm single."

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a class in university where we examined this test. Wish I remebered what I learned about it beyond that it was a properly constructed survey based inventory where the items where determined by previous studies. You take 100 random people and ask them which characteritics match which gender and then you have a basis for the inventory. Most psychological research is done this way.

Unfortunately, you have to take samples because beyond government census you can not poll populations.

The reason there were similar characterisitcs is to elimnate people who cheat or give biased answers.

Here are my results.

Your Femininity Score is 5.15.
Your Masculinity Score is 4.65.
You are sex-typed as near feminine.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PixieDust
Activist
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PixieDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Femininity Score is 5.1.
Your Masculinity Score is 6.

I pretty much knew I was really masculine. That was pretty cool.

------------------
"We are the normal"-Johny Rznick

Posts: 86 | From: Las Vegas, NV, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.