Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Should Females be aloud to play Male roles in Movies or Plays?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should Females be aloud to play Male roles in Movies or Plays?
shrty1572
Neophyte
Member # 4121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shrty1572     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that hey should be able to. Just recently I was in the play Fiddler On The Roof Jr at my school. The main role is normally played by a male but in our play it was played by a female.
Posts: 14 | From: Fort Wayne Indiana USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty cool. In my school, guys in drama are pretty scarce... and lots of our male actors graduated this year.

Actually, when I was little this group of amateur actors would put on children's plays at the community center, and they were kinda short on women so men occasionally played female parts.

------------------
"Sometimes people care too much. I think it's called Love."
---Pooh Bear

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 1983 film "The Year of Living Dangerously", Linda Hunt won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance as photographer Billy Kwan. First (and I think only) oscar awarded to a female playing a male role. Frankly, I think she should have been up for Best Actress but Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver were billed abover her in the credits. However, she dominates the film in one of the best historically based thrillers you're ever likely to see.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think so. The only problem with this at my school is that there are more girls the guys in the musical so girls get to be either androgynous or male, or guys end up in polyamorous relationships. We did H.M.S. Pinafore and all of the sailors (myself included) ended up with two or more of Sir Josepsh's nieces, cousins, aunts etc. If the situation were ever reversed, I don't think my school would be very accepting of guys taking on girls roles. I definitely think there's no reason that girls can't play guys' parts if they're good in them or guys can't play girls' parts if they're good in them.

(Note to self, see The Year of Living Dangerously)

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of shakespeares female roles were origionally preformed by guys.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's artistic freedom, really.

There is a famous Japanese all female muscial company, the Takarazuka Revue Company.

The group has been around since 1914, and they perform revues and lots of musicals with an all female cast.

For more info, check out:
"Women play men in unique Japanese theater" (from CNN)

Fan site

Official Website (?) (In Japanese)

A fan writes:

quote:
Takarazuka is a popular Japanese revue company established in 1914. (...) As all of their members are limited single female, male's parts are always played by women on its stages.

To be a member of this musical's company, female applicants whose age are limited from 15 to 18 years old, must pass the entrance exam of "Takarazuka music school" at first. This exam has been known as one of the most difficult ones in Japan and it is sometimes even compared to passing the entrance exam of the university of Tokyo.

After two years' study of there, all students are to be permitted to join the Takarazuka as a member. They have to decide in advance which gender part they will play on the stage. Mostly, members decide it based on their height.

Otokoyaku --- who play male part --- have attracted so many fans, including male fans, since establishment. It has been said "At least 10 years are needed until a Otokoyaku can play male part as if SHE is real male". This is because Otokoyaku have to change their voice by shouting or singing in low key, have to learn how to walk and dance like male and so on. Through this long training period, they become skilled Otokoyaku who can enbody fans' yearnings for a prince riding on a white horse, gentleman, dandy and so forth....!

Musumeyaku --- who play female part --- have also attracted many fans. I like talented Musumeyaku very much. Because it is them who make Otokoyaku more attractive, by playing elegant or fairy-like female. Unfortunately, they are tend to be spoken badly by fans out of jealousy. What is worse, T-company seems to have thought light of them, too.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, why not. I think a lot of schools have the problem of more girls being interested in drama. I was in a play in grade 9, and originally, my love interest was going to be played by a girl. Unfortunately they found a boy instead. She probably backed out 'coz she didn't want to kiss me. The policemen and bad guy were played by girls, though.

A good performance can usually make you suspend disbelief, I think.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.