Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Books and Gender

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books and Gender
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, in children's literature, stereotypes are flourishing. Boys are adventurous and bold while girls are portrayed as innocent and naive. This article http://www.kidsource.com/education/gender.issues.L.A.html basically sums up the situation in children's books as seen by many in the literary world.

quote:
Numerous studies analyzing children's literature find the majority of books dominated by male figures. For example, Ernst (1995) did an analysis of titles of children's books and found male names represented nearly twice as often as female names. She also found that even books with female or gender-neutral names in their titles in fact, frequently revolve around a male character. Many classics and popular stories where girls are portrayed usually reflect stereotypes of masculine and feminine roles. Such gender stereotypes are prevalent not only in mainstream children's books but also in Newbery and Caldecott medal winners. Children's books frequently portray girls as acted upon rather than active (Fox, 1993). Girls are represented as sweet, naive, conforming, and dependent, while boys are typically described as strong, adventurous, independent, and capable (Ernst, 1995; Jett-Simpson & Masland, 1993). Boys tend to have roles as fighters, adventurers and rescuers, while girls in their passive role tend to be caretakers, mothers, princesses in need of rescuing, and characters that support the male figure (Temple, 1993). Often, girl characters achieve their goals because others help them, whereas boys do so because they demonstrate ingenuity and/or perseverance. If females are initially represented as active and assertive, they are often portrayed in a passive light toward the end of the story. Girl characters who retain their active qualities are clearly the exception (Rudman, 1995). Thus, studies indicate that not only are girls portrayed less often than boys in children's books, but both genders are frequently presented in stereotypical terms as well.

The whole Newberry and Caldecott awards thing really shocked me. In your experience of reading books has this been true? Have you read any great books lately in which the characters aren't stereotypical of their gender?

What shocks me even more is that I can't think of one right now. No, wait, there's Twelfth Night by out good ol' friend Shakespeare--Viola certainly doesn't behave like the stereotypical woman of Shakespeare's time. I can't believe it took me that long to find one. Hmm.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic, although I don't have too much to add.

Glancing over my bookshelf of my favorite kid/young adult books, a large number of them contain strong, atypical female characters. They're not all exactly great literature, but the women and girls in them aren't stereotypical. (Of course, I've got several other shelves full of children's books that aren't favorites, and I think a lot of them do have elements of gender stereotyping in them.) So books with characters that break gender roles do exist -- there just apparently aren't enough of them.

I just finished up a really good book with a very atypical female character, though. It's Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and although it's for adults, it's got a great female character named Hunter who's, well, a hunter (and a very good one at that) and very tough.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have similar objections with most Disney movies. Female character is strong, independant, wise, right up until the very end, where she a.) isn't involved in the thrilling climax at all, b.) is harmed somehow so she won't be involved in the thrilling climax, c.) stands on the sidelines of the thrilling climax.

I HATE it when that happens...

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
( Tr. "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." )

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of a few good children's books with strong female characters pretty easily. Harriet the Spy, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Ramona (I think, I never liked those books, but they seemed to be about Ramona, who was not a typical girl-figure). I know there are more, but I most go to the dentist now. Ick, I really really hate going to the dentist! Didn't someone here once say something about the gynecologist not being as bad as the dentist? Well, I'd soooooo much rather be going to the gynecologist now.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laughs_Wisely: What are you talking about? The thrilling climax is when the Disney heroine gets married!
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rizzo: D'oh! I almost forgot! Thanks for reminding me.

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
( Tr. "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." )

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.