Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » techie boyfriend/chix0r stuff, or, How To Hold Your Own In A Room Full Of Nerdy Guys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: techie boyfriend/chix0r stuff, or, How To Hold Your Own In A Room Full Of Nerdy Guys
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, I don't know what to make of this, but my long-term guy has finally asked me to go 'net' tomorrow night, which is basically going over to one of the guys in his friendgroup's house, bringing my computer, connecting it to all the others', and playing multiuser games...

and I'm more excited than I ought to be. I figure this means he's accepted me into his group of his guy friends and isn't embarrassed to have me there! isn't this cool? but at the same time I am tres scared because what if I'm too girly or something....argh...

this is going to be fun but frightening and at the same time the game they're on right now *diablo II* is one I'm not horribly familiar with...I'm learning it right now for tomorrow.........update later, I suppse, but wanted to know if there's any more little techie girls out there who have been in this situation..?

*basically this post has been just me venting, but thanks for reading* ;]

~lemming

------------------
"this was a Pizza Hut, now it's all covered with daisies.../And as things fell apart nobody paid much attention..." ~Talking Heads, "Nothing but Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a number of occasions I've been the only girl in an otherwise all-male roleplaying game group (this was back in the days before computers could do the stuff you describe!). I always had a lot of fun, but chances are that your presence WILL change the dynamics some, just because most guys tend to act differently in mixed company than when it's just males in the group (for that matter, women do the same thing). Take it in stride; obviously if you were invited then they're prepared to accept your company.

Have a blast and kill 'em dead (or whatever it is one does in Diablo II)!

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should definately be excited about going, being invited means your boyfriend is proud of you and wants to show you off to his friends. The most fun I've had has been roleplaying in a mostly male group; after a while they get so into the game that they don't care whether you're male or female, girly or not girly, or even of the same species they are. Games are great like that

BTW, Diablo II is awesome!

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tee hee. ;]

also, I suppose it does help that these guys were all my friends, too, to start with.

yeah, don't worry. I never hold back...

and the last exp. I had like this was a few years ago, pencil-and-paper roleplaying...there doesn't seem to be a lot of girls there either...but I suppose that works out well for those of us who are into that... ;]

btw, all, diablo ii is highly recommended. ;] that hack-and-slash type game is good for stress relief (tho not as good as some other things I know...*smirks)

thanks again for your input.

------------------
"this was a Pizza Hut, now it's all covered with daisies.../And as things fell apart nobody paid much attention..." ~Talking Heads, "Nothing but Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well hmm, I'm not much into computers (although I've been invited to go "net" but I'm just better at arcade games) but in sports and stuff, I ask a few questions and listen carefully and then I totally kick their *** and smile sweetly. Of course they're totally blown away but it just proves that girls aren't little innocents. Just remember that it IS okay to kill your boyfriend! lol

britt

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm like Lady Moonlight- while I spend far too much time on the computer, I am the only girl in my role playing group. At the AGM of my uni's role playing society, I was one of the two girls present. And I also do swordfighting, which is definitely a male dominated sport. Don't worry about it. Guys don't bite (unless you want them to ).
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 8 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, wanna hear something that TOTALLY sucks? I came down with a nasty sinus infection last night, and I couldn't go tonight!!

my honey came over and sat with me and fed me antihistimines last night, and came by tonight on his way to his friend's house, but I'm going to be sick for awhile yet...

SUCK!!!

------------------

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemming, that's does suck. Maybe when you are feeling a little better you can spend sometime practicing your Diablo II game. My husband is in Act 4 right now and plays every spare moment he has. Practice makes perfect and when you are done you can kick some bootie.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, well, thank goodness I don't have mono - just a little sinus infection. ;] so in the meantime I've been practicing up.

I'm going next Friday night, same place, same time, and plan to kick some butt! ;]

thanks for your support, guys...

*smirks*
~lemming

------------------

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. I'm glad you're not too sick. Keep us posted on how it goes. I don't play the game myself, but I get to hear about it for at least 2 hours each day from mr. bettie, so I'll know what you are talking about.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, as we all know RPGs are the root of all evil, anyway. http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/306.html Actually, this was just something that seemed a bit funny to me because I met my partner to play a game that failed miserably, and the dear dude does wear a pentacle. But I guess it shows you may be better off at home.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm a girl who plays AD&D! Of course, I'm the only girl in the role playing group. . . And our Dungeon Master is a Christian too, which doesn't say much for that little Occult theory. There's some rather funny parodies of Chick's comics on the web, I don't know if you've seen any of them.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont play many computer games, i suck at them like nothing else. And i would suck even more in a "net" setting. I have seen my step brother do one of those and i would get my arse beat in a minute flat.

But i play single player RPGs for nintendo and playstation. Has anyone here ever played Dragon Warrior IV? Its for the original nintendo. If it werent for that game then all i would do is watch TV and pass up wonderful hours of game play.

And also, i think that the reason i dont play computer games is because my comp sucks, and i dont have the money to make it better OR to get any games.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not one for RPGs or networked/one-player shoot 'em ups. But I do hang out with geeks. Lots of geeks. Last semester, I practically lived in the computer lab (Berkeley students, check out the OCF in Heller Lounge). But it was fun. I got extra webspace, met a lot of people, who I wouldn't necessarily date, but are fun to hang out with anyway.

So it seems I'm their resident girl. I'm pretty computer savvy and can fix simple problems and teach people how to build website and start up new acounts and stuff like that. And when we table for new members, it's good to go out there and show that the lab isn't all guys, even if it's just me

I also helped my boyfriend start his new website yesterday. Actually, I built most of it, but he gets to type in all the "stuff."

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KimmyP
Activist
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KimmyP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in highschool, I hung out with some really cool guys ( to me at least, to the rest of the school, computer nerds )
They'd have what they'd call LAN Parties, which is some computer-ish term for Local Area Network or something. BUT anyways, it felt really cool being the ONLY chick there, cause they weren't the type of guys that had a lot of chicks around, so i was basically worshiped -- which isn't all that bad

A BIT OFF TOPIC --- You know, all my guy friends, that were considered "computer nerds" are all makin' the big bucks @ 19 and 20...while all those "cool" people are failing out of jr. college and havin' to flip burgers!

------------------
Its ALL good :)

Posts: 54 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winter
Activist
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LAN Parties, hehe.... I think that is awesome to hang out with guys and do "geeky" stuff, hey, and what KimmyP said is SO true

I love computer "geeks"...basically because I am one myself I'm actually a graphic designer/web designer. Well. A wannabe one. I do work for small businesses sometimes. My boyfriend always jokes around his friends about me and "thick glasses" and I'm just like "what? my glasses are thin!" LOL...

------------------
"Can't this wait til I'm old?"-Phish
hannah@atarikid.com

Posts: 53 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I totally agree regarding the big-bucks-geek theory...my love is 20, and he's more financially secure than some people half again his age...and some of the things he comes up with are amazing...

as far as the gender wars, go geek chicks... ;]

~lemming

------------------
"There's only now, there's only this/Forget regret or life is yours to miss/No other road, no other way/No day but today..."~"Mimi" in "Another Day," from RENT, by Jonathan Larson

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.