Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Feminine clothes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feminine clothes
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone !
Just to say that I don't post much but I guess this one is probably the weirdest one ever for me.

How could you explain that I like feminine clothes ? Whenever I seen nice clothes in the stores I always say to myself "I'd love to wear that if I was a girl". The thing is that I'm not a girl, I'm a guy. I'm 17 and would never wear feminine clothes in public but I'd like to explain to myself how come I get these thoughts. Plus, I find girls clothes way more colorful and good looking than guys clothes.

If someone has something that could explain me that, thanks in advance.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I agree with you -- women do get much better, prettier, more exciting clothes than men do in this culture! I always have thought that it's too bad that men don't have as much to choose from, and that men who like to dress up often get a really hard time from other people.

But really, there's nothing at all wrong with the urge to dress up, or even to wear clothes supposedly "for the other sex." A guy in a dress is... a guy in a dress. It's really not so diffrent from a woman wearing pants, and a woman wearing pants would have been almost unthinkable in the first half of the 20th century!

Technically speaking, the desire to dress up in clothes that are identified as being for the "other sex" -- the one that is not your assigned gender -- is called transvestism. All that means, literally translated, is:

trans -- across
vest -- clothes
ism -- condition of

So a condition of wearing clothes that are "across" the gender line. But really, dressing up can have a lot of different aspects. Someone might just want to wear prettier and more interesting clothes, and the gender issue might not be so important to them. Or a man might want to specifically wear "women's" clothes because they're identified with women (or a woman might feel that way about "men's" clothes). Or someone might enjoy playing around with mixing up the kinds of gender cues or signals that clothes can give off. Or they might really want to try hard to look like someone of the opposite sex, so that they might even "pass" as being of a different gender. Or anything in between.

And it's all fine and really pretty common. I say -- they're clothes! Why not have fun? I love playing dress-up.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite possible that you simply have a very artistic outlook and therefore see the beauty in everything. Like I have a guy friend who always compliments my choice of toenail polish and outfit and everything else. He's very masculine, but he's very artsy (he's actually a photographer), and so he sees the beauty of things without looking at them from the point of defining them as belonging to one sex or the other. In other words, he sees the beauty without strictly identifying them as only feminine or masculine, but as both and neither at the same time. Make sense? Probably not, but it is rather hard to explain. But that's just my 2 cents.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very much agree with Kittengoddess. Many people (not just females) are intrigued by colors and designs printed on clothing. And I have yet to walk into a men's clothing store and see a hot pink skirt with swirls on it. Men's clothing tends to be more neutral while women's tend to have more artistic designs and be multi-colored. Not to put down men's clothing or anything, but women's just seem to be more... interesting. In my opinion, at least. I have plenty of male friends who comment on women's clothing, hair styles, and beauty products. Most think they're cool
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like guys' clothes. i wear their stuff whenever i can. it's more comfortable and cozy, and i feel like i'm wearing pajamas. plus, i just like boy clothes more. i'm serious - when i'm at a store, i'm always jealous of the guys because i like the clothes they can wear so much more. and men's outerwear is MUCH better, i think. it bothers me that at places like L.L. Bean or Lands' End, the men's and women's coats and stuff aren't equivalent.

does that make me weird? that if i had my way, i would be a guy's size and shop in the men's department? no, i don't think it does at all. so why would it make a guy weird if he likes women's clothes?

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, that's an easy one! Because we get so much better clothes! And so many more options and colors. Girls can wear verything from white to black to pink. If people see a guy in a pink shirt they find it unusual and strange, and might even say "hey he's gay and a transvestite". But that guy might just like pink!

So basically listen to everyone else. If you want to wear clothes designed for girls, then go ahead (even if you don't want to do it in public). And if you really like 'em enough (the clothes) then perhaps you could consider fashion designing? Or you could be a personal stylist for a celebrity.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What wrong with cross dressing? I wear pants!

Even though transvestism isn't mainstream, it's not taboo. Look at Dr. Frank in RHPS! (I'm sorry, I just watched it *again* and I had to make that allusion).

There's nothing wrong or perverted with the way you feel. Womens clothing is generally more colorful and attractive than mens, so I don't blame you to notice and like it. If you just want to admire, that's fine. You don't have to do anything more than that.

If you do want to take it a step further, that's great, too. You can wear womens' clothing. It's just clothes right? Wear it if it makes you feel good, or confident, or just gives you a generally happy feeling. Don't let the stereotypes and unwritten 'rules' of society hold you back. And if you don't want to wear it in public, just wear them wherever you're comfortable.

Just remember to do what makes you happy.

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree with KittenGoddess. I see so much beauty in feminine clothes but I'm not a transvesti or anything like that. No, it's just that I prefer woman clothes just because of the variety. I mean, a girl can wear a skirt one day, the next she can wear pants but guys it's always pants (specially in winter). The only "thing" is that women clothes are so expensive. But I would never wear women clothes in public, except if everyone would do it. If we had the choice and most people would do it, I'd probably do it too.

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one of the reasons why I love being a girl- the clothes are awesome! I don't think you're weird. I think you just like the way women's clothing looks. Heck, I'm sure alot of guys like the way women's clothing looks. Take designers for example. As long as you don't have the urge to strut you stuff in women's outfits, I see nothing wrong with it.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're not comfortable wearing "female" clothes in public, you should try looking for some fun "male" clothes! Dressing up IS a lot of fun, and there's something worthwhile in developing one or a bunch of personal styles. My boyfriend wears *brightly* colored t-shirts and brightly colored loose pants or shorts, often in clashing colors... he's got seven pairs of well-loved converse high-tops, in every color of the rainbow, and his shoes never match--he tops it off with a wildly patterned Hawaiian shirt--he's got a vast collection of them--and a black bowler with a sprig of fake flowers, or an australian leather hat. He's so gorgeous! Easy to spot in a crowd, too. Anyway, it is very possible to wear interesting clothes that aren't automatically considered feminine.

Mmmm, speaking of which, my area's annual medieval fair is happening now. Men in tights! Women in corsets! Belts and big black boots and long skirts and ruffles and sparkling capes and robin hood caps and chain mail and jewelry and fairy wings (no, it's not a historically accurate fair)... a feast for the senses.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every guy I know tells me they wish they were a woman. Then they could finally have some fun shopping.

We have a great variety of clothes at really affordable prices.

My guy constantly wishes he was a woman. So I would say no cause for worry.

Maybe you guys should get together and design your own clothes. Like a support group.

I love being a woman.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say, if you have the guts, go for it. I really wish more boys were brave enough to challenge the unspoken dress code of our culture. How are we going to change things, if no one's brave enough to try?
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm... Between Not Back to School Camp and New College, I've seen several guys who wear long skirts, and the thing is, it doesn't look 'feminine' at all. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen guys wearing "female" clothes with the sense that they like how to look. I mean, guys in casual t-shirts and skirts is good, 'cause then it's like, oh, there's a guy who happens to be wearing a skirt. And on the other extreme, drag parties are nice 'cause it's fun to dress up. But somewhere in the middle, it'd be nice to see guys creating their own fashion aesthetic (not to sound pretentious... blehh..) including "feminine" clothes, but without 'trying to look like women.'
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

I take that back, my friend Casey actually wore a very colorful, coordinated outfit that included a skirt. I thought he was awfully cute in it (of course, at the time I thought he was awfully cute in general). There's a bad picture at http://www.nbtsc.org/~julieclipse/NBphoto/nbtsc020.jpg
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I met my current partner and spouse, he was wearing a floor-length black wool wrap skirt with his grandfather's tribal feather bustle.

Let me tell you something -- because of the male lines and general physique, men look STUNNING in skirts (in my humble opinion). I know that the sight of a man in a skirt never fails to make my whole day.

And my partner complains about the same things: the fact that the color palette for male clothes consists of about four murky and generally unappealing colors, and the cuts are just awful. And to tell you the truth, if he wore quintessentially typical mainstream male clothing, I'd probably find him far less visually appealing.

So, be yourself -- women dress in men's clothing all of the time, which only became acceptable because enough did it for long enough that designers got a hint and started making man-tailored clothing for them.

Clothing is really a creative thing and it can say a lot about who we are and how we express ourselves. So, have fun with it, make a statement, wear what makes you feel comfortable whenever you can.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Miz S, Men in skirts are fab. My ex partner used to wear them around the house all the time (even though he was pretty conservative in his usual dress code). He was introduced to male skirts when he worked in Indonesia for a while where men simply wear skirts, too. And those skirts aren't just really coloourful and beautiful, but also really practical and comfortable (in fact I own an inodonesians mens skirt, too).

I agree....clothes are jsut clothes, and one should wear whatever you feel comforatble in. No matter if it's a skirt or a pant or a tunic.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait for the day when men wearing skirts becomes accepted, but I guess it probably won't be in my lifetime.

I think it would go a long way to help equality of the sexes. While appearances aren't the most important thing, I think if dress is symptomatic of real changes in gender perception, or if appearances help change traditional gender notions, then that can only be a good thing.

Plus, boys in skirts are just so cute

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdavid
Activist
Member # 3041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bumper sticker on my wall that says "REAL MEN WEAR SKIRTS." I loooooove men in skirts... they seriously bring out my bi side. Purr. One of these days I'll get around to wearing skirts... as it is right now that would be a little weird. But one day. *sigh* Oh yes. One day.

And one more reason men in skirts rule -- have you ever heard anybody debate the masculinity of a Scotsman in a kilt? The saying goes, "A man in a kilt is a man and a half." Rowr.

------------------
r.d.m. * riotboy * http://f0o.org
"and you say i'm just a kitty cat in disguise" -- estrojet

Posts: 47 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two words: brian molko

whee, I love placebo!!! And he wears that stuff so well!!!

girly clothes are plenty colorful and frilly, but they're not as flattering on me most of the time. the fashion industry has warped ideas about how people are really shaped and sized.

gimme a good pair of 30 X 30 cargo pants and an indie rock t-shirt and i'll be happy.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the south pacific men wear skirts all the time. They look great and there is something about a man in a kilt that just takes you to scotland. mmmmm...
Women wear classically "men's" clothing and some men wear classically "women's" clothing, it's all about personal preferences.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.