Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Your place

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your place
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering, do you consider yourself the "woman" in your relationship? and what does it mean to you?

I think i'm the woman, i take care of my partner, arrange sociak activities, more sensitive, and less likely to express it, verly concerned about my partners well being, and in general the one who makes everything work.

Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider myself the woman. i'm not really too sure why...i guess for mostly the same reasons as you.hmmm....

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh baby I am the WOMAN!!

I never really thought about it. I really dont have a reason why, I just am the woman.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...well I suppose that I do consider myself the woman in the relationship. Although I'm not sure I think you can necessarily define relationship roles based solely on gender...it's rather streotypical. In my relationship, we trade off things like emotional strength and worrying about each other. We make things work together...everybody contributes.

I don't really know exactly why, but yeah, I guess I consider myself the woman.

~KittenGoddess

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the woman, he's the man. If I was in a lesbian relationship, we'd both be the women. If I was in a polyamorous relationship, we'd all be whatever gender our genes had seen fit to make us.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like the woman in my relationship.

Probubly because I'm the more sensitive and I really help keep us 2gether

Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the woman.
In our relationship, I definitely take everything I do with a girly approach. You know what I mean

------------------
you wanna be just like me, i wish i could be myself
you wanna be just like me,
i can't think of no one else...
-Reel Big Fish

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally am not inclined to attach male and female divisions to things like traits and actions, and neither is my partner.

What roles we have in the relationship really flow from day to day, and depending on what mood each of us is in, and things tend to be pretty balanced: we're both the breadwinner, we both do the bills, we both do the household stuff, we're both sensitive and bombastic, we both take care of one another and our friends, what have you.

Most gender traits aren't biological: they are social constructs which shift from era to era and culture to culture.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Miz S. I have never been able to pinpoint if I am the man or woman in the relationship. By man and woman, I am talking about what my society dictates a man and woman's role in a relationship is.

I can be very tough and I would make practically all the decisions in the relationship. However there are times when I would just pamper him and look after him, like a good woman should.

Nah. Seriously, I simply cannot pin myself to being either the woman or man. I can be both and that's half the fun isn't it?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear the pants!! LOL

Ahh ... no really. I don't know. I'd like to say that i wear the pants in the relationship, but i tend to let him borrow them once in a while. He's very 'in touch w/ this feminine side', so to speak. For example, we watched Bounce last nite and he cried and i didn't. I thought i was going to be a pile of mush and it was actually him ... so i laughed at him I'm so evil ... muwahaha

But we do trade spots, a lot. He's more aggressive than me and likes all those icky movies (he made me watch The Matrix ... ew) w/ guns and stuff ... Typical male stuff.

So yes ... we both wear the pants.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're looking at it as in gender ideals (see my post around here somewhere) then I'm the one with the male role in the relationship. My SO does some "traditionally" female things, such as all of the cooking and cleaning. I go to work everyday and he stays home.. and there's a multitude of little things as well.

But it's what suits us both. We're not intentionally like this, it's just what feels best

Plus, I can't cook

entropie

------------------
Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, i totally wear the pants in our relationship. my friends have even commented on it...i feel bad, but i definitely do boss him around.

i don't like it, though. i try not to. it makes him feel bad, and then i feel bad. i like to take off the pants sometimes. <hee hee hee...ok, maybe that was a bit much>

anyway. yeah, i think it's a happy balance, even if i'm a bit bossy sometimes.

em

------------------
Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't mean to sell out my sisters, but i was raised such that i still enforce outdated gender roles

i like it when guys decide our plans, where to go, what to do, when we go out. i like the idea of a guy being bigger and stronger than me; a guy who can protect me from danger. i like it when a guy is as smart or smarter than me. i like the idea of the man being the breadwinner.

i'm not saying i want to be oppressed, but it sure beats having me rule over him. that's no fun for me. i've had guys who, if need be, i could take in a fist fight. and dumbing down my vocabulary is not cool

right now, my boyfriend is the egalitarian type. that's nice. he honestly wants my opinion. but i don't like deciding things all the time. i want him to decide too, before i take over and brainwash him (like my mom has done to my dad). intellectually, we're both on par, which is **excellent**. And he can bench my weight and run a much faster mile And he works two jobs 'cause according to him, "Girlfriends are an expensive hobby (but the payoff is worth it)." I, on the other hand, am a slacker. Miramax should make an independent film about me.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meltigem
Neophyte
Member # 3554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meltigem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am da WOMAN!

And so is she.

Posts: 14 | From: Texas, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not in a relationship, but I think that in any relationship with me it switches throughout the day. If you were with me, I'd want to cook and bake for you, because I like to cook and bake, and I'm pretty good and I want you to eat me. Errm, I mean eat my good food. I'd probably be more agressive sexually, because I'm a pretty agressive person. I'm your classic Aries, really. So I'd probably take the lead in bed. And I'd give you back rubs and foot massages because I know that you'll like it and it will unstress you. And then I'll tell you to make your bed.

So, I think that I'd switch roles throughout the day.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think neither of us is realy either in our relationship. i pay for most things b/c i've got a better job and he's on my insurance policy b/c his job has a crappy one. but he carries the heavy stuff. either of us may end up wearing cloths associated with either gender. i'm generally the more emotional of the two of us, but to quote one of the earlier posters i could prolly take him in a fight.....this is a confusing question
'rin

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, god, I'm going to have to say that we're pretty equal. We definitely trade off emotional strengths and gushyness and all that fun stuff. Although she is definitely more girly than me (as in appearences) ...
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were going purely by what society says women are supposed to do, then my boyfriend is the woman in our relationship.

He cooks. He deals with most of the household stuff. But that's partially because it's his house and I'm a little weird about messing around with his stuff because his parents will be back soon (they were temporarily living elsewhere).
Also I dress "like a boy." I probably spend less time worrying about my appearance than he does (and he doesn't worry much, I'm just saying that I don't worry.) I don't do a LOT of "female" things. I also am pretty adamant about watching sports although I don't play (that would be pretty useless unless I bought a wheelchair and got into wheelchair sports). I love football and hockey. I used to collect rocks and play with transformers and hotwheels cars. I'm not very girlie at all. When I have put on makeup it's really uncomfortable and nasty to me--I don't need an extra layer of crud on my skin. It just really bugs me (and I've seen my sister have allergic reactions to makeup, too.).

So I guess that he would be considered the woman, particularly because he's also sensitive and he's not afraid to cry either. But I really don't like the societal standards of "gender roles" so it's not like I ever feel like we are "weird" for the way it's kind of reversed in our relationship. It's not really entirely reversed, either...I am still sensitive and certain other things. I don't really mind my femininity but I'm not the "I am woman, hear me roar" type, either... I am just me, and I happen to have female sexual organs, and I am not especially gender-confused, so the title "female" doesn't bug me but I'm not particularly attached to it.

The other day I told someone I was a boy to see what they'd think. A lot of times I feel like I AM more of a boy than a girl (although they of course didn't believe me because I look female). But I'm not particularly attached to being either one.

------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.