Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » whats wrong with my fingers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: whats wrong with my fingers
Teezii
Neophyte
Member # 40684

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Teezii     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok i have a skin discoloration under the cuticles of my fingers on certain fingers of each hands. this includes: (on my left hand) my pinky, ring (which go's down all the way to the first joint) and a little on my middle and pointer finger. on my right hand its just on my middle and ring finger. i am black and it makes me look like im beginning to become an albino because it's very pale like i have no color in my fingers at all. i do get my nails done so idk if this could be the cause. And i am on birth control (the pill) idk if that could have caused it or what. i am sooooooooo very concerned about this and self conscience because the ish is ugly!! i hate it and i just want my hands to go back to the way they were. i was told that it could be caused by me having an iron defiency and to take iron pills but idk how true that is. please give me advice, help, info...etc [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 13 | From: dallas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Teezii,

Are you describing a pale discolouration that occurs only under your nails on some fingers or does it also affect the skin on the top of your fingers/ hand (not on the palm side)?

Do you have this anywhere else on your body?

It wouldn't be related to the bcp. If your skin was very dark and there is now no colour, this wouldn't be caused by iron deficiency either- it would not cause such a dramatic change.

The bottom line is that it can be dangerous to diagnose things like this over the internet and if you remain concerned the best bet is to show your hands to a doctor.

[ 10-17-2008, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teezii
Neophyte
Member # 40684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teezii     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no its just up under my cuticles so only under my nails.
Posts: 13 | From: dallas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so the colour change which is only under your nails can be related to manicuring. Pale skin under the nails and on the palms can also be caused by iron deficiency anaemia. Then there are other causes like fungal infections and liver/kidney problems.

If you are otherwise in good health, this is unlikely to be a serious illness. But as you mentioned that you are very concerned, I'd again encourage you to show your doctor.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soworried92
Neophyte
Member # 40446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soworried92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hun, what your describing could be something called vitiligo.
If your really concerned id definitely check in with your doctor..
no one can diagnose what you have over the internet obviously, but heres a link to a site where it explains what vitiligo is...
http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/255/main.html#DiagnosisofVitiligo
although this condition is rare..its alway better to be on the safe side..
hope i could help you in some way... [Smile]

Posts: 35 | From: usa | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teezii
Neophyte
Member # 40684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teezii     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i read the link that u provided about vitiligo. it actually does seem that it could be possible i do believe that i am anemic but am unsure. i get cold so easily i couldnt begin to tell u. idk. i am for sure going to check into this wit ha doctor though. thank you so very much for the help you've provided it was helpful.
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anemia doesn't generally cause you to be cold; that would be more to do with poor peripheral circulation. Anemia would do more like cause you to be easily fatigued, dizzy, have difficulty sleeping, etc.

Since we can't see your hands, nor can we accurately diagnose you by description (even if we were doctors), your best bet is going to be seen by your doctor, and bring it up with them. They can do blood tests to check for anemia (if that is still a concern), and they might also be able to refer you a dermatologist, if that happens to be necessary.

So awesome that you already have that planned!!
Btw, how long have you had these patches? Are they a recent development, or have you always had them? If so, it could just be a normal melanin variation, and nothing to worry about. But definitly get it checked out [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teezii
Neophyte
Member # 40684

oh see i was always told that a symptom of anemia was that u stayed cold all the time i didnt know that. i am kind of fatigued at time but i am also a product of the typical lazy teen too. [Wink] [Razz] . it 's funny that i cant even recall when this started to occur but i know for a fact that it was ntvery long ago. probabyly this summer maybe.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.