Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » exercise help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: exercise help
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellokitty17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, so I was wondering about arm/leg weights. I'm about 5'3"-5'4" and around 100-107 pounds. Is there a certain amount of weight that I should get? (like five or ten pounds?)

I generally carry a very heavy backpack (fully loaded! I hardly ever use my locker!) so I know that I *can* handle heavy masses (oh yeah, I'm a girl, too). I'm mostly doing this for speed, but I'd also like more upper body strength. ^^

If I do this, does anyone have any recommendations of where I can get them? (like a specific store?) and should I wear them all day long (because I'd like to, but I'm scared they'll "show too much" through my clothing, but then again I wear baggy jackets and pants 24/7 so I guess that shouldn't matter *too* much).

So basically:
-Does anyone have any weight amount reommendations for me? and
-Will they show too much through my clothing/can I wear them all day?

Any help would be great, thx! =D

--------------------
what makes the one to shake you down?
each touch belongs to each new sound
say now you want to shake me too
move down to me slip into you

Posts: 74 | From: BOBD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want to wear weights all day?

Really, if you want to add extra upper body strength, rather than adding five-pound wearable weights all day, you're likely to benefit more from a strength training program, where you have a few workouts a week with that goal in mind, and where you are totally focusing on doing that work.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67072 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellokitty17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh,well... I dunno lol I guess it was just to supplement what I already did (like run), because even then I never really have any time for real "exercise" because, even when I run, I'm already dead beat tired. (I don't get home till like 6:00, not to mention so much homework since I'm in all AP classes.)

--------------------

Posts: 74 | From: BOBD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't see wearing hand weights -- especially just in daily life, rather than when you are walking or running -- as a likely way to do that.

So, if you want to do that, you may just want to swap out one of your runs for some focused work with weights and other strength-training exercises (even just things like pushups or pull-ups). I'd say that even just one or two sets a week with things like that -- even if they're just ten or fifteen minute sets -- is likely to do a lot more for your upper-body strength than wearing weights when not working out is.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67072 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_for_fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah for upper body strength, you would want to do what Heather has mentioned.

But for speed, and just to help strengthen your leg muscles in general you can wear "lighter" wearabale weights when running. But really I wouldnt go over the 5 pound mark with those. And again with those weights you would need to build up your endurance because they are going to tire you out.

The only other thing is could suggest that would make you stronger and faster would be running with a "Chute" which is a little parachute that creates resistance when your running. We had those for track, but that would look goofy running around town with. lol.

--------------------
Track: run hard, make left turns

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

ha! I've never seen anyone using small chutes for running, but it makes sense.

So, I have to ask: when you're doing that, do you ever catch the wind enough that if you turn the other way -- so that you're not getting resistance -- you get to fly a little bit? [Smile]

(So trying not to get dangerous ideas about my bike and one of those.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_for_fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the chute itself is to small to actually get you up (I would think, I havent actually tried it) and its attached to your back via harness so you would have to intentionally have to put the harness on backwards, and then have a go at it.

haha, I wouldnt try it, especially with a bike. Because if that ever got tangled up in the wheels. I would be much more willing to try it running, but again, i really think the chute is to small or if you did, from my experience with sprinting with the wind, you would probably end up falling because there is to much momentum pushing you forward.

--------------------
Track: run hard, make left turns

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Oh, wow, that whole "chute" thing is funny. [Smile]

And thanks for all the help. I *guess* I'll just start easy with the puch-ups and MAYBE look more into getting light leg weights to run with. Thanks for all the help, guys!!!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.