Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » multivitamin overdose?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: multivitamin overdose?
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone [Smile]

I'm starting a musical this week after a couple of months of preparation, and I really want to take care of my voice. I've been taking vitamin C chewable tablets since I was around 7, and they're really helped. Right now I'm taking multivitamins that have a lot of vitamin C in them, so I thought that since the show is coming up I could take two a day instead of my routine one. I know you can't overdose on vitamin C, but could I OD on the other ones?

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's really no reason to take more vitamins than the recommended dose. It won't help that much to take more, and you don't really want to overwhelm your body with any medication, food, etc, anyway.

One thing in multivitamins is iron, which can be harmful if too much is taken. Especially since you're taking mucho Vit C, as Vitamin C actually helps your body absorb more iron!

From what I can research here, I'm not too clear about the Vitamin C situation. Some places say too much is bad, some don't. Maybe someone else could chime in here, or I'll try again tomorrow when I'm less sleepy.

So, to sum it up, just follow the recommended dose and eat a variety of good-for-you foods. If you think you may have been taking significantly too many vitamins a visit to your doctor might be in order.

[ 09-02-2008, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Alice ]

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The recommended daily intake of vitamin C is 75 mg, for an adult female. The upper intake level (the most you should consume daily) is 2000 mg. While it is hard to overdose on it, it can cause indigestion and othe rintestinal problems if you consume high amounts of the vitamin daily.

It's when you start taking multi-vitamins and Vitamin C supplements that you'll start reaching those higher levels, as some supplements can pack in 1500 mg in one shot.

So perhaps just continue with the multi vitamin one-a-day, and follow the other advice Alice gave you. Lots of healthy foods and water, and don't exert your voice during non-performance times. [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Particularly, never overdose on vitamins A, D or E unless under the advice of a medical professional. These are fat-soluble (rather than water-soluble); essentially what this means is that if you take a little too much, it's sticking around.

Anywho, break a leg in the show! Which musical is it?

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nunsense [Smile] . I'm Sister Mary Leo. Never expected to see myself in a habit, but you just never know what the Almight might have planned [Wink] .

And I'm doing great! I actually got a real bad case of tonsilitis on Thursday, but I had to perform that same day anyway. So I've gotten 3 emergency shots of antibiotics, and getting one more tomorrow. Oh well, I tried not getting sick. I sounded great tonight though [Smile] . I've still got 5 more performances left! It's almost over [Frown] .

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.