Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Am I Doing This Right??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I Doing This Right??
PureCuriosity
Neophyte
Member # 39126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PureCuriosity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently bought this skin exfoliator and scrub from The Body Shop.
My mom says that she's noticing a difference in my skin so that's a good thing. I was too, at first, but now I guess I'm at some sort of a standstill??
I use the base of my fingertips to exfoliate my skin and I do so in small circles all around my face and neck (avoiding the sensitive eye area) concentrating a lot, but not solely, on the dry, bumpy parts. But I want to know how long I should do this for? Usually once it's all lathered onto my face, I immediately wash it off and apply the moisturizer spf 30 to keep my skin from drying out. Am I washing the scrub off too soon? How long should I leave it on and let it "marinade" on my skin??

--------------------
Thanks In Advance!
PureCuriosity

Posts: 29 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without knowing what the bottle says, I can't tell you how to use the product. If you're concerned, you could talk to a dermatologist about what products to use and how.
Hope that helps!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm no expert, I've been to my share of trips to the dermatologists, and I believe that time does not matter. I believe it's the same concept as soap: just because you leave it on longer, doesn't mean you skin is going to get any cleaner- it's the scrubbing that's key. Although, my dermatologist warned me about scrubbing too hard over "bumpy" areas because they are already sensitive, and it might irritate the skin more. However, it's best to check with your own doctor/dermatologist.

have a good day! congratulations-it's great to hear that it's working for your skin. My skin is impossible, or maybe I just don't have the patience. probably the laddar.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a note as well, make sure you're being realistic about your expectations here. You said you just recently started this routine, I'm not sure how "recently" that is, but generally one wouldn't expect any major changes right away (and often things will get worse before they get better). If it's been a month or more of consistent use and you're not seeing any difference, then it may be time to look at something else and/or see your dermatologist.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.