Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Going under general...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going under general...
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow morning (have to be there at 7:15 -_______-), and I'm going under general anesthesic while I get it done. I'm not really scared of the surgery itself, because I've had my share of painful dental experiences (You know those clamps they put on to hold the rubber dam in place when you have a cavity? I had one digging into my soft pallette, and when the freezing let up... yowch).

HOWEVER, and that is a mighty big however, I'm absolutely, positively terrified of being put under. My dad keeps reassuring me by telling me not to worry because it's just like a long nap- but that's not what scares me. I'm scared of not knowing what's going on. I don't know the surgeon very well (meaning, we met once), and that kind of... well... terrifies me. I'm definitely a control freak, if not slightly OCD, and not having control in this situation is just- freaking me out a bit.

Logically, I know that these people are trained professionals. They're certified SURGEONS, not just dentists. But while this helps calm my nerves a bit, I can't help but freak about not being awake for the procedure. Also, not going under is not really an option as the placement of my two wisdoms and the fact that they haven't come out (and never will, because there's no room), will make the surgery a painful one if I wasn't under general.

*Sigh* What I'd like to know though, does anyone have any soothing words about going under general?

Also, do you think they'll allow my mom or dad to be with me at least until I'm fully under? And be there when I wake up?

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only have a minute, Bunbun, but just know that chances are, with a GA (especially due to legal criteria in many areas), you're not just going to have a dentist, but an anesthesiologist, an expert in anesthesia, taking care of that aspect of your surgery.

For the record as well, a GA is actually more like a catnap than a long nap. It might also help to be aware that during surgery, as a patient, you don't have control regardless, and that's probably for the best, since not being a surgeon, you'd not be the best person to be in control. [Smile]

As well, you might also be able to ask about switching to conscious sedation tomorrow if this really is feeling too scary for you. I have had an incredibly big oral surgery (hello, deeply impacted wisdom teeth: I've also had a tooth pulled outright without any painkiller at all at another time) done without either, and while my pain threshold is high, and that choice was made due to financial constraints, it also was not what I'd say was honestly all that terrible. I've certainly been through way worse in my life. At the same time, though, if you have big control issues, you may well feel worse being alert and not being able to control the situation than you would being asleep.

Too, given the nature of this surgery, having one of your folks in with you as your anesthesia begins should be totally doable.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather for the quick response! I think I've been over-thinking things just a bit. Talking to a friend of mine who's had the surgery (with the same surgeon.. it seems like everyone I know had the same one!), he's reassured me that there will be more people in the room than I initially thought. And that's a real encouraging thought for me, because it's really less of the operation aspect that scares me, but the "Oh my god, they could do anything to me and I couldn't fight back".

Obviously, this fear is a little... Overboard. Though, like I said, knowing that there will be more people there is really helping me ease up a bit. Too, having my mom or dad there will be really nice. My mom promised she'd hold my hand if she could : D

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got my wisdom teeth out in April so I definitely remember the experience- not to mention I've had a lot of surgeries and procedures- Scopes, Ear tubes, Wisdom teeth, apendix, gall bladder to name a few...

Before they put you under GA they'll probably give you versed. This stuff is AMAZING! haha. Basically it calms you down and sedates you a bit, but also makes it so you don't remember anything after that really.

But, if youre really scared you can probably call your doctor ahead of time (this is what my doc told me) and they will perscribe you an antianxiety to take before you come in so it'll take the edge off.

Really, General Anesthesia isn't bad and you won't even really know it happened besides the fact that you were told it did.

And afterwards they'll give you some good pain medicine and some instructions on what to do.

Piece of cake.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Well, the surgery is over and went well! I was nervous this morning, but I wasn't bad, so I decided I would suck up the fear and get it over with.

However, we were about to leave at 6:45 this morning for the dental surgery office, and FUNNY STORY. Our car wouldn't start. It's a relatively new car (only 4 years old) and we realized that the battery suddenly died. Fabulous! So we ended up calling a cab, and they were so good to us coming quickly to drive us to the place and we weren't that late!

Though, despite this initial problem, I got to the place and the nurses were so nice. They couldn't have been better, and were really supportive. I took the anesthesia really well, and woke up really quickly and was quite coherent afterwards.

However, I'm in quite a lot of pain. They gave me a motrin, and a tylenol 3 but I'm still quite hurting.

My teeth were very close to the bone, so I think that's why I'm in such pain. D:

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having wisdom teeth removed is painful: heck, all oral surgery is, and a person is pretty much always sore for a good while afterwards. That has more to do with all the nerve endings in your mouth than anything else.

On top of your pain medications, using cold compresses can also help. When I've had oral surgery, I've found using one of those stretchy headbands, putting it around your jaw and slipping an ice pack in there so it can just hang out helps a lot. With one of my wisdom teeth back when, the root got hooked to my jaw which I had to basically have broken for them to remove it, so I hear you on how much it can hurt. But those ice packs and good pain meds were a godsend. Since they didn't give you anything very strong, if the pain gets really bad, just call in and see if they won't prescribe a stronger pain medication for you.

Glad that it went well for you. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how well it went.

The pain's gone down considerably because I'm been icing it with icepacks that I use when I pack a lunch. I tried to have a popsicle, but I couldn't open my mouth enough, so my mom got me a bowl of icecream and it was absolutely delicious. I've also found that rinsing with some warm salt water is reducing the pain a lot.

Thanks for your support guys ^_^

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.