Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » How to fill a lunch box...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to fill a lunch box...
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'll be starting back in school this fall, and I've decided for a variety of reasons that bringing a lunch with me is the best idea.

So I'm wondering if anybody has any lunchbox favorites? Especially things that don't require refrigeration or reheating, though I will probably invest in a wide-mouthed thermos for soups and stuff.

And a related question: is soy milk (or other milk-substitutes) safe to keep at room temperature for a while? How about vegan mayonnaise?

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get the soy or rice milk that comes in the cardboard cartons, on the regular shelf in the store, that would be ok. Those you can actually find in the little lunch-box sized cartons, like juice boxes [Smile] you could also look for the vegan mayonnaise in the individual packets (do you have a vegan or vegetarian restaurant nearby that might stock up on those? They might be able to help you out with that)

Unfortunately, most of my vegetarian food choices involve needing an ice pack or refrigerator. I don't know if you eat any seafood at all, but i'm partial to the foil pouches of tuna. And if you have hot water or a microwave available, you can find cup-of-noodles type items, or microwaveable soup cups in the vegetarian/vegan section.

Other than that, there is always the reliable favorite of PB&J. Hopefully some other users have better ideas!!

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also Horizon organic milk (which comes in chocolate too!) that comes in cardboard cartons and doesn't need refrigeration. They're pretty good too. I'm not sure if it counts as a milk substitute, though. I'll second the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Peanut butter has protein, so it gives you plenty of energy. Nuts and trail mixes are my personal favorites and also give energy (and have plenty of other healthy benefits, like helping with mood). Butter or margarine on sandwiches is a healthy alternative to mayo and it doesn't spoil as easily as mayo.

And if you have a terrible sweet-tooth like me, you can always look around allrecipes.com for some healthier cookie or brownie recipes and then bring those with you instead of the store-bought stuff. It takes more work, but in the end they usually taste better anyways and are healthier.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love packing salads in rubbermaid containers. I make them the night before, adding all my favourite things. I also make my own dressing (it's easy really: sweet and sour sauce, white vinegar and olive oil). Of course, this needs to be kept cool, but an ice pack really takes care of that. They're cheap, and they keep everything nice and fresh. Plus, if you get a headache, or hurt yourself or something, they're a lot more handy than a frozen bag of peas.

As well, I find that cutting up a bunch of fruit and putting it in a container really helps to curb my appetite when I feel like grazing and eating a bag of chips.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, thanks for the input, guys! I found another option today for the beverages while I was looking at the little cartons of milk and soy milk and whatnot in the health food store. Turns out you can get powdered soy milk that you just mix with water. So each day I can just put some powder in a reusable bottle, add water at lunchtime, and presto, instant milk-like beverage. I could probably do the same with powdered milk, it's just...I don't really like powdered milk very much. [Razz]

Also, if anyone else on the board is looking for some ideas, I have one more to add: I've gotten a wide-mouthed thermos for soups. Just before the semester starts, I'll make up some big batches of yummy soups--lentil is a favorite of mine, and I have a recipe for a good split pea soup, too. Then I'll freeze them in ice cube trays, and heat up enough soup for the day each morning, bring it with me in my thermos, and have a good healthy main-dish kind of thing for lunch [Smile]

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to take a lot of sandwiches with me that I'd make up in parts. So when I came home from the store, I'd cut up all of my ingredients and put them into individual baggies and containers. Then I'd toss all my separate baggies into my lunch bag with a cold-pack and be off. It's nice to make sandwiches that way because it doesn't get that mushy, general sandwich texture and taste. All the ingredients maintain their integrity. For example, I used to take my bread in one container, my turkey in another, and then bag all my veggies (usually lettus, tomato, and cucumber) in a separate bag.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.